Meadowlark Blue Heron's

Ericus Rex

Re: Meadowlark Blue Heron's
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2010, 11:34 am »
If you're looking at the original Blue Heron I'd proceed with caution.  While they sound great the chink in the armor is the tweeter.  Audax stopped production on that tweeter years ago and used/NOS pairs are very hard to find and very expensive when you do find them.  Add to that a high failure rate on the tweeter (pressurized gas tweeter prone to deflating) and you're looking for trouble!  And comparing this model ($8,800 new) with the Vandy 5A isn't exactly fair.  I personally would only buy them at a fire sale price and do a little DIY to put some other tweeter in when/if they originals fail.

Now the Blue Heron 2 is another story altogether.

toobluvr

« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:55 pm »

What Ericus says is 100% correct.  I owned Heron i for several years and came across that info while researching them.

My buddy has a used pair of BH1 for 6 years now and they are perfect.  So while tweeter failure is possible, it is  not guaranteed.

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2010, 10:25 pm »
:D Chris,your right.i just gotta buck-up the wallet....must end the speaker chasing.... :thumb: :D  need a speaker that does it all for in round ten g.....[used] may not be made ???? :lol: :D

Salk SoundScapes-10's.

Pat, just save up for the Vandersteen Model 7's.  You know you want to!  :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2010, 10:35 pm »
:D  is the fellow true,the 5's are 98% as good as the A's.... :D

Nope.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2010, 10:37 pm »
:D still would love to buy Alan's 5a's,but he will not ship.... :D

You should have bought mine during my temporary bout with insanity.   :wink:

I just listened to the new Wilson Sasha speakers (~$28k) and while they sounded quite good, I wouldn't take them over the 5A's.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2010, 10:45 pm »
I just listened to the new Wilson Sasha speakers (~$28k) and while they sounded quite good, I wouldn't take them over the 5A's.

George

I don't think the Sasha holds a candle to the 5A.  Not even a competition IMO.  The Vandy's (all of them) are really nice speakers. 

2bigears

« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2010, 12:34 am »
 :D  AHHH shit,George i wish you wouldn't of said that.say you can get 5's for five grand on the used market.now,A's are ten plus.they are not twice as good .but,they must be better.the mod is nearly ten grand to get the 5's to 5A's.that helps Richard buy fuel for his plane to fly around the country just like John Travolta. :lol: the 7's are way outa reach cost wise.will someone please sell me their 5A's please..... :duh: :D

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2010, 01:03 am »
:D  AHHH shit,George i wish you wouldn't of said that.say you can get 5's for five grand on the used market.now,A's are ten plus.they are not twice as good .but,they must be better.the mod is nearly ten grand to get the 5's to 5A's.that helps Richard buy fuel for his plane to fly around the country just like John Travolta. :lol: the 7's are way outa reach cost wise.will someone please sell me their 5A's please..... :duh: :D

Pat,

It's not like the 5's are a bad speaker.

In fact, I think you would be very hard pressed to find a more complete, configurable, full range speaker for $5k.

George

Ericus Rex

« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2010, 11:38 am »
 A more fair comparison would be Vand 5A and Meadowlark Nightingale.  I'd pay to see that bout on CCTV!    :eyebrows: