What speakers, preamps, etc make the Class D amp sing?

Robert F.

Re: What speakers, preamps, etc make the Class D amp sing?
« Reply #20 on: 4 May 2010, 09:47 am »
I use Pass B1 preamp and Class D to drive my RS 3 Way TMWW.  The combination of Pass B1 and Class D transformed the listening experience.  I upgraded from HK 635.  Before I finished Pass B1, the HK 635 was the preamp.  The difference between Class D and HK 635 was there but not huge.  After Pass B1, the magic happened.  The combination is simply amazing.  My brother in law will finish his Statements Monitors next week.  I was eager to try this combo on Statements. ;)

Can you describe the improvements? When the Statement monitors are done I would like your impressions. I have the Mini-Statement version and am curious.
I am torn between the Pass B1 and the Dodd tube buffer. I think I will go with the Dodd so I can play with tubes. Also the battery power is intriguing.

Robert

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #21 on: 6 May 2010, 11:56 am »
Mariusz -

You need to update the 1st of the Pass links, you re-used the JX92S link instead of pointing to the Pass link.

Gene

Speakers  - DIY back loaded horns with  Jordan drivers JX92S
links: Spawn Changs 3 horn plansJordan JX92S drivers
Cost:
drivers - $360
MDF -    $50   (2 sheets 8'x4')
other -   $50
total -   $460 (depending on the source and materials used)

Preamp/buffer - Nelson Pass B-1
links -  AC thread, DIY built step-by-step instructions and B1 review from enjoy the music & here

price - $150 to $250 and up (depending on options, skills, parts)

DAC - Maverick Audio Tube Magic D-1 ( it can also be used as preamp)
links: AC thread and manufacturer website
price - $200

Source - Logitech Squeezebox Touch
link - manufacturer website

price - $299 (paid $249 shipped)

Mariusz

« Reply #22 on: 6 May 2010, 04:06 pm »
THX Gene
link fixed

Mariusz :thumb:

parodielin

« Reply #23 on: 7 May 2010, 12:59 am »
Robert,

It's difficult to describe the improvements.  The clarity, details and imaging improve significantly.  I think you'll feel improvement with Dodd.  To me, that's out of my price range now before I'm convinced that Buffer can add value.  The Pass B1 experiment is well worth it.

Ken

Can you describe the improvements? When the Statement monitors are done I would like your impressions. I have the Mini-Statement version and am curious.
I am torn between the Pass B1 and the Dodd tube buffer. I think I will go with the Dodd so I can play with tubes. Also the battery power is intriguing.

Robert

Nick77

« Reply #24 on: 7 May 2010, 02:03 am »
Amplifier: SDS 254
Speakers: GR Research OB/7
Dac: Llightly modded tube buffered Paradisea
Source: SB3 w/modded linear power supply
Preamp: HK635 AVR
DIY power cords and speaker cables

This is my first taste of seperates and my results are similiar to Roberts. I have been using my AVR as my 2 channel amplifier for several yrs until the affordability of ClassD came along. I was totally blown away by liquid sound and huge soundstage of the classd amp. There was no comparision in the quality of sonics compared to the HK, it sounded so much tighter and had lots more authority. I didnt know it was possible to get such awsome bass response from an amp, my OB/7's really surprized me with the amount of bass i was hearing. I am still amazed everytime i fire it up at how good it sounds relative to the initial cost. These comments are based upon my initial classd amp the CDA-224 at 60 wpc. I upgraded to the SuperD and it has taken things up several notches in control, imageing and transparentcy. I upgraded the power supply caps with some Panasonics and got a nice boost in low end dynamics. I feel like i have a world class system on a beer budget and it makes me very happy.  :eyebrows:
« Last Edit: 7 May 2010, 11:15 am by Nick77 »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 7 May 2010, 02:07 am »
it makes me very happy.  :eyebrows:

That's what its all about.   :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #26 on: 7 May 2010, 02:18 am »
Amp: CDA-254 Battery powered
Pre: Dodd Audio Buffer
Source: Mac Mini with external Hard drive
DAC: Music Streamer II
Speakers: Dunlavy SCIV
Speaker cable: DIY
Interconnection: DIY

Very please with the sound  :thumb:

Robert F.

« Reply #27 on: 7 May 2010, 09:42 am »
Amp: CDA-254 Battery powered
Pre: Dodd Audio Buffer
Source: Mac Mini with external Hard drive
DAC: Music Streamer II
Speakers: Dunlavy SCIV
Speaker cable: DIY
Interconnection: DIY

Very please with the sound  :thumb:

TrungT,
 Tell me about your battery power supply. What amp hour is your battery? How long before you have to recharge? What is total capacitance of power supply? Any information would be helpfull. I am thinking about going battery power myself.

Robert

TrungT

« Reply #28 on: 9 May 2010, 07:14 pm »
Robert.
Sorry, I missed this post.(your question)
I have 100 A/h  AGM battery with C-tek 7002 charger which is plugged in 24/7, no noise.
I have an extra 35A/h battery with the charger hook to it while playing, I played continuously for 4hrs at medium sound level with out any problem there.
Amazon have good deal on C-tek charger.
Hope that's help.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2010, 02:25 am »
I hope to have some input into this thread in the future as I have been looking at the Class D amps. I get calls all the time asking what amps our preamps work well with and while I can't audition everything out there, the ClassD amps have my attention as an affordable option I can aquire that many people have asked about.

I would love to see how the Basis preamp pair up with the 250 watt Class D amp would do in one of my systems with either the Clearwave Audio speakers or the Salk HT2-TL's. I even have some Rosewood that would match the Salks nicely for a nice chassis to build the amp in.

nwboater

« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2010, 12:46 pm »
Mariusz - It's your call as to how you want to run this but sometimes you will come across a Cheap and Cheerful product that invites, or even demands, to be mated with much more expensive components. I'm using an ugly little wooden box with a ClassD Audio 60 watt/8 ohm  amplifier in it, driven by a $4000 Parasound preamp. This little amp is driving some very high performance and reasonably high dollar horns and sounding like it belongs right where it is.
I'll leave the name of my previous stuff out of this discussion but suffice it to say that the little wooden box stomped it and I've come to prefer it to my mono SET amps as well.

So, is it appropriate to answer this post in this Circle with that kind of gear?

Not sure it's appropriate to respond to such an old post, but I just came across this thread. Very curious what horns you are using? I have an old pair of Klipschorns and am considering several of these amps in an active crossover configuration.

Also if you'd care to share any more information about the Class D amps with your horns I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rod

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2010, 01:30 pm »
Hi Rod, Since posting here, I have purchased a Rawson Aleph J clone for $275 plus postage ($300) and put that in place of my ClassD. I would say the clone provides a small improvement in overall smoothness but I could easily have remained with the ClassD. My horns are somewhat different than Klipsch so I can't tell you what to expect in that regard. Probably your best bet would be to obtain a ClassD kit or buy one already built and try it on your horns, or full range if you haven't split the signal yet. If you like the results then you will know that you will like the full monty bi-amp. There's never a question raised about ClassD bass.

My horns are made by Bill Woods of Acoustic Horn Company in Hastings, Ontario, Canada. They are called the AH300. I use B&C DCX 50 compression drivers. I do not have horn bass. Below about 400 Hz. I use a 15 inch woofer in a JBL ported cabinet.