And the Merlin VSM's weren't far behind, in a much smaller package:

bummrush

Re: Speaker recommendations in the $5-12k range
« Reply #41 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:31 am »
 Legacy

Berto

« Reply #42 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:38 am »
Hansens look nice and got great reviews, but can't seem to find prices, something tells me there more like 20k ++

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:18 am »
Hansens look nice and got great reviews, but can't seem to find prices, something tells me there more like 20k ++

The Knights are $20k retail, but should be much lower used.

skunark

« Reply #44 on: 24 Apr 2010, 06:43 am »
I was looking for a new amp a few months back and had some fun listening to various speakers in the +5k range at the local dealers.

Thiel CS2.4
Dynaudio Contour S 3.4
Spendor A5
ProAc Response D38
Magnepan 1.6 (1.7s are out now, i think they are less than 5k)
PMC GBi (might be less than 5k...)
PSB Synchrony One
B&W 804 (series before the diamonds)

I definitely have my favorites out of that list.   

Others I'm curious about are
Tannoy DC10T
Focal
Usher

shep

« Reply #45 on: 24 Apr 2010, 06:57 am »
The list appears endless and pretty overwhelming  :o My little contribution is from Salvatore.
He's selling his http://www.high-endaudio.com/used_he.html. I bet they are stunning and with the savings you can add something else to the mix (the world's best cables?  :lol:) Seriously I would jump on these. He's VERY knowledgable. I am told these are wonderful speakers.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #46 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:16 pm »
A speaker with quicker response, wider dynamics, cleaner transients, air and space, I have not heard.  Heard The AudioKinesis Planetarium Beta System yesterday and it blew me out of my socks.  Never thought I would hear the detail from a dynamic speaker that I have heard from electrostatic speakers in the past, but I did.  And these things construct real images not only in sound but in size.  I took some records, classical and jazz and even a single of Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation and my host played some plus a high rez Patricia Barber and Jennifer Warnes track from his server.  Those last two had a sweet civility to them I wasn't expecting after the bombastic stuff we had been listening to.  My host sold his big Sound Lab speakers to make room for these.  I asked him what he missed about them and he said nothing, that Duke had used Sound Labs as his reference when making these (Duke is a dealer for Sound Labs, this I know).  And, fellas, these things ARE efficient.  The volume and scale we were getting from a relatively low output tube amp was simply stunning.  Hail to the chief. 

Damn, I was mesmerized.  The whole system consisting of the towers and four self powered subs (The Swarm) plus an active crossover to integrate the subs cost 10k.  That's not a meager sum but for what you get I think it has to be the best value in all of audio.  AK's The Jazz Modules about which there is another thread are 4.5k.  These would fit nicely into my room!

I invited myself back and will take some recordings that I know will come alive in ways not possible in my small solar system.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2010, 06:23 pm by jimdgoulding »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #47 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:38 pm »
George - I would add the Ascendo C-8 to your friends list.  I've heard these a couple of times now and found them to be excellent and hit all the criteria you listed...

+1.  :thumb:

Absolutely mesmerizing sound from very modest looking speakers. These do everything right.

Pretty good WAF for a four way speaker, huh?

Have fun,
Jerry

twitch54

« Reply #48 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:40 pm »
Best speakers I heard at RMAF this year are the Hansen audio speakers:

let me know where I can pick a pair of the them up for 5-12k !

With respect to the Op's suggestion............. if you can find a pair of ACI Sapphire's (yes I know I seem to recomend these alot) combine a nice servo based sub with room correction eq capability, you can then take your savings , put it into WAF acceptable room treatments and buy lots more music !!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #49 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:43 pm »
The list appears endless and pretty overwhelming  :o My little contribution is from Salvatore.
He's selling his http://www.high-endaudio.com/used_he.html. I bet they are stunning and with the savings you can add something else to the mix (the world's best cables?  :lol:) Seriously I would jump on these. He's VERY knowledgable. I am told these are wonderful speakers.

Link doesn't work.

George

WerTicus

« Reply #50 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:08 pm »
WAR Dianne's

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/waraudio/dianne.html

A big speaker in a little box these ones.

toobluvr

« Reply #51 on: 25 Apr 2010, 06:26 pm »
Link doesn't work.

George

http://www.high-endaudio.com/

bottom of the page, click on "Used or Demo"

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #52 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:18 am »
KEF Reference 205/2

Satin $12K
Gloss $14K

Used $5-8K

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #53 on: 26 Apr 2010, 01:10 pm »
lotsa nice speakers on this list.  two more brands i have had 1st hand experience with, that are phenomenal, imo:

piega
coincident (i had a pair of the earlier victory's mentioned on arthur salvatore's site as being f/s for $3.5k.)

used, you will get phenomenal performance for this kinda cash...

doug s.

BobM

« Reply #54 on: 26 Apr 2010, 01:15 pm »
There's lots of great speakers in that price range if you're willing to look used. For new, I think the best place to check out are the direct sales internet manufacturers (you know who they are). But it could be difficult auditioning a pair of their speakers, depending where you live. Still, there's much better value for the dollar from them.

And yes I agree the Hansens are special, but they are definitely not in your price range, new or used.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #55 on: 28 Apr 2010, 02:34 am »
Goldmund makes the very best electronics in the world, IMO. I've personally introduced Goldmund electronics to many people before and they were simply shocked. This is the type of sound that each of us is on the search for. It's completely addictive and impossible to listen to anything else afterwards.

You can get Goldmund Logos1 passive speakers and Logos2 active bass modules for $12k, or so if you're ok with demo/used. PM me if you need help finding Goldmund equipment.

jules

« Reply #56 on: 28 Apr 2010, 03:37 am »
Going back to your first post george ...

How about a DIY project, Gedlee's Abbey is relatively simple and would be hugely rewarding.

I realize this might not quite make the grade for going down to 30Hz but good weight on the mid/lows is probably more important than absolute extension. With the left over money he could pick up a sub or two and still be well within budget.

When you make something yourself it's always going to sound better  :wink: while giving you real involvement and understanding.

jules

K Shep

« Reply #57 on: 28 Apr 2010, 04:46 am »
Goldmund makes the very best electronics in the world, IMO. I've personally introduced Goldmund electronics to many people before and they were simply shocked. This is the type of sound that each of us is on the search for. It's completely addictive and impossible to listen to anything else afterwards.

You can get Goldmund Logos1 passive speakers and Logos2 active bass modules for $12k, or so if you're ok with demo/used. PM me if you need help finding Goldmund equipment.

I get a kick out of you Nagy!

TerryO

« Reply #58 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:47 am »
One that haven't been mentioned as far as I know are the Harbeth speakers.

The Harbeths are very ordinary looking, but are considered the music lovers choice. These are perhaps some of the finest sounding speakers in the world...at any price! Yet their TOTL model is at the bottom end of the stated price range. There are many speakers that cost several times what the Harbeth cost  and sound inferior on just about all counts. Anyone in the market for good speakers needs to audition a pair. It's certainly a good thing that that they are a reasonable price new, as used pairs are seldom available.

Best Regards,
TerryO

groovybassist

« Reply #59 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:24 am »
I agree on the Harbeth rec, but just for clarity, their TOTL 40.1 is $13K new.  The SHL5 is $5K new, which might be the model you're thinking of.  I recently acquired a pair of Compact 7ES-3s and love 'em.  They're not for detail freaks, but if you love listening to music and timbre/tone are high on your list, they're hard to beat.