Speaker recommendations in the $5-12k range

Nuance

Re: Speaker recommendations in the $5-12k range
« Reply #100 on: 7 May 2010, 09:51 pm »
^ The Ultima Studio 2's can be had for around $12,000.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #101 on: 7 May 2010, 10:02 pm »
The Dynaudio is VERY good monitor--in fact, the best one I've owned or heard up to 10k.  (i want to hear the Mini2s, but can't afford them anyways)

The Zus may give up a hair of air to the Dyns Esotar2 tweeter---but that is about it.  The top end is more similar than different.  I prefer the sealed/active bass, midrange to me is much more involving (vocals are amazing), and the soundstage/size of image is tremendous.  Dynamics are also pretty different then anything i've had in my room. 

My search led me to a decision between Magico V3s (the best traditional speaker I've ever heard, but at 27k it just was too costly) and Zus.  I auditioned Dyn Sapphires and C4s and didn't care for either---the Sapphires were nice, but not enough bass.  The C4 is darker sounding than the C1 and does not look good at all (terrible SAF).  I also considered Revels, B&Ws, etc....but in the end I wanted amplifier flexibility on my next speaker and none of those speakers have that.  Devore was the other speaker I was interested (Nines), but not enough bass for my room.  I also was concerned they may be too polite for me---the Zus definitely rock but in a warmer fashion. 

and with Zu i'm able to bring in a Shindo amp, like what is coming to the listening room very soon :)   20 watts of Class A magic coming my way!

Keith

Ooooooooohhhh...Me would very much like to hear the Shindo/Zu paring.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #102 on: 27 May 2010, 10:34 pm »
Vaughn Cabernet 3 way speaker - USD 8500
93dB  8Ohm nominal, 6ohm minimum
Accuton 6.5inch ceramic midrange
« Last Edit: 30 May 2010, 04:05 am by chlorofille »

Murgen

« Reply #103 on: 29 May 2010, 08:21 pm »
I can`t  not recoment wish speaker higher, i have owned  a par myself, and i can tell you, that wish is at anyway that matters a unik product.

It has a sound what in witt the best speakers from Sonus faber, and you can,t find a speaker with higher kvalitet, and its design and build construction is Wold class, and belive me, then i say wold class, pleace.
And everything is construct in the country of Speakers: Denmark you now.

From sound, to design and kvality,- it is a absolute wonder of a speaker.

You, take a look Here:

http://www.neeper-acoustics.com

And you can make up you own mind.

I hope what wish speaker is in the frame of the budget.

Today i own 2 set of speakers:

Legacy audio focus HD and Sonus faber Guarneri Homage:- just so you get a idea what class of speakers, we are speaking about.

I hope you will find what you are looking for.

Best regards

Murgen

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #104 on: 29 May 2010, 09:00 pm »
Sonics by Joachim Gerhard Anima standmount, about $2800/pr USD MSRP.  This speaker, in one of the standard (small) 2008 (or 2009) CES rooms at the Venetian, was my favorite demo at the entire show.  Allen Perkins' $25k TT certainly helped, as did his prototype pure class A electronics and his $6k unipivot arm, which from initial reports may be one of or the best ever.   

Gerhard is the designer of the original Audio Physic speaker, tall, super slim, with side-firing woofer.

Since that CES, and from my experience selecting XO parts, I've run across XO inductors that sell for multiple thousands of USD.  In conversations with Gerhard, I learned that several highly respected recording engineers use some version of the Anima as their reference....hmmmm

I later learned from Gerhard that he makes extra special super custom versions of his XO that sell for about $5k USD (pair or single I don't know, estimate pair).  I know Allen Perkins owner of Immedia...I'm sure he'd disclose if asked: I wonder if that particular pair of Anima had special XO parts.  The sound was incredibly special.  It's ability to draw you into the performance and the music, for instance, blew away the all-digital estimated $300k + Bolder system just heard upstairs with Wilson Alexandria speakers (which was pretty good till I visited Allen's room).  Allen is in his own little singular world in his ability to make music magic happen regardless of the XO in that speaker.

I'd wager paying Allen whatever he'd charge to personally select and setup a system would yield more than 3x the same amount on hardware.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #105 on: 29 May 2010, 09:18 pm »
If you have a moderate size room, listen to a variety of music and want to keep your significant other happy, I would include Acoustic Zen Adagio's* and the following in the mix.  They are full range floorstanding speakers with a fairly small footprint at $4,300.00-

http://www.avguide.com/channel/the-absolute-sound/review?manufacturer=3015

I would also include Gallo Acoustics' Reference 3.5's* at around $6,000.00-

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo9/ref35.html

and Fritz Frequencies' carbon driver floorstanders and take your wife to Paris.

For electrostatic panel speakers, SandersSoundSystems Model 11*.  Expensive (11k) but a digital crossover with deep slopes is included and his own powerful amplifier for the bass.  They are a one person at a time speaker, however-

http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/electrostatic-speakers/model-11?task=view

And Odyssey Lorelei's if your room is larger than moderate.

*Think you should think of these as in a music dedicated system.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2010, 12:23 am by jimdgoulding »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #106 on: 29 May 2010, 11:31 pm »
I never heard or don't recall hearing the Acoustic Zen Adagio.  But I've spoken at length with the distributor.  His opinions and criteria for good sound seemed more than reliable. 

Would appreciate some clarity on the following: Is not the Adagio distributor also associated with Dan's Mod Wright gear, at least regarding their ss power amp?   

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #107 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:09 pm »
Sorry to necropost, but I was curious about the above statement about a distributor.  Acoustic Zen works directly with their dealers.  Who did you speak with?

Edit: NM, it was just confusion over terminology.  Don't mind me....

gjclaxton@gmail.com

« Reply #108 on: 18 Jun 2010, 11:08 pm »
The silverline bolero is worth a mention.  efficient and pretty small foot print and a good price used.  if you can handle something bigger, this is well worth considering

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1280617295&/Silverline--Audio-Grand-LaFoli

good luck   gary

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #109 on: 18 Jun 2010, 11:32 pm »
Oooooooooooooo....those look nice!  Yummy!  Would like to hear them. 

KeithR

« Reply #110 on: 24 Jul 2010, 05:09 pm »
Zybar- what did your friend end up purchasing?  Still shocked this thread is still alive :)

bharper

« Reply #111 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:46 pm »
if these sound as good as they look, I believe the WAF would have to be off the charts...

vmps....

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #112 on: 3 Aug 2010, 08:26 pm »
Zybar- what did your friend end up purchasing?  Still shocked this thread is still alive :)

Hasn't finalized on a purchase yet.

George

Scottdazzle

« Reply #113 on: 3 Aug 2010, 09:53 pm »
if these sound as good as they look, I believe the WAF would have to be off the charts...

vmps....

They sound better than they look.  Really. The WAF is high, but they have a big footprint into the room because of their depth.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #114 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:28 pm »
There's a $23,000 Raidho Eben X-3 on audiogon for $7500 right now.  These are stunningly good speakers, way, way better than anything else out there, except for the Hansen speakers.

groovybassist

« Reply #115 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:33 pm »
Tell your friend to get off the merry-go-round and get some Harbeth's.

Super HL5 or Domestic 40.1

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #116 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:42 pm »
3rd the Merlin VSM

Ridge St Audio Sason

Omegas with 2 deep hemp subs (and a good SET)

Dave_b

« Reply #117 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:58 am »
Given the parameters and limitations inherent in the proposed setup/situation, I would recommend not blowing a ton of cash on expensive speakers.  If it were me, I would consider Paradigm speakers based on their quality of construction, efficiency, ability to be placed in tight quarters and they sound great for a  little money.  Even the Studio 20's are amazingly satisfying, especially wt a sub.  System matching is more important than individual expensive components that are not compatible.  I have the 6ft tall out in the room speakers, but I can still appreciate an inexpensive, thoughtfully assembled system that still conveys the essence of the music.