Justin's camphor burl HT1-TL's

MukAudio

Re: Justin's camphor burl HT1-TL's
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2010, 07:55 pm »
Just thought I'd post an update.

I adopted Justin's pair of HT1-TLs this weekend; he wants to get a better set for HT use, but couldn't keep the HT1s as getting the entire veracity set for a 5.1 setup would be rather prohibitive in price.  It took a total of 7hours for the drive to and back, but it was definitely worth it.

The thing did image like crazy at Justin's when I was trying it out, after bringing it home I've been finding half of that may have been due to room characteristics.  Still does very well and is a joy to listen to, but I haven't been able to recreate the insane amount of imaging I got listening to it in Seattle.  I've been playing around some with toe-in, still haven't exactly nailed down where I think would be the best spot (right now it's only angled about 5-10deg inwards) for imaging and soundstage.

Hi there.  I also auditioned Justin's speakers.  It was the first time I have seen Jim Salk's speakers in person, and pictures do not convey the true beauty and craftsmanship.

It's funny you mentioned the imaging.  As I was listening to the speakers, I wondered how much of what I was hearing could be attributed to the fact that Justin has done a good job with acoustically treating his room.  If nothing else, it showed me that I need to invest in some treatments.  The other thing I wondered was if I (and you) was experiencing near-field listening.  I don't know how that affects imaging and such, but the listening position was only 5-6 feet away from the speakers...

In any event, I am waiting for some HT3s and the timing for speakers in general isn't great for me, so I passed.  Glad to hear these speakers found a good home!

Mark.