Justin's camphor burl HT1-TL's

jsalk

Justin's camphor burl HT1-TL's
« on: 20 Apr 2010, 08:20 pm »
Justin wanted a pair of Veracity HT1-TL's in camphor burl.  This veneer comes in very small sheets, so a great deal of splicing was required to build up panels large enough for the cabinets.  But the patterns made for some very nice transitions and it is hard to tell exactly where the splices are (unless you are specifically looking for them).

Here are some pictures...

And a more detailed close-up...

Happy listening, Justin!

- Jim

LadyDog

Re: Justin's camphor burl HT1-TL's
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2010, 08:58 pm »
Beautiful work as always Jim.  Love the burls!

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2010, 10:06 pm »
Great looking speakers, Justin!

Jim - you're the master!  They look spectacular!

mathgeek97

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:28 am »
Oooooooh!  Ahhhhhhhhhh!  :D

Seattle Sound

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:14 am »
Thanks everyone! I'm really really excited. Nuance, I've talked to you a few times on AVS- you and TJHUB are the ones who really got me excited about Jim's products. I've still got a pair of SongSurround I's- time to step it up!

Thank you Jim for the beautiful speakers! I can't wait till I get em here.

Justin

TJHUB

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:26 am »
Hey Justin.  It's been a while...

It's great you're finally getting those Salk speakers!  Your HT1-TLs are gorgeous. :D

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:52 pm »
Stunning!!! :drool:
Enjoy Jason!

HAITIMAN

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:21 pm »
Exceptional in every way.

Let us know how they sound.

funkmonkey

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:33 pm »
 :thumb:  beautiful.

well done, Jim.  Congrats Jason.

Seattle Sound

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:35 pm »
LOL I always get either Jason or Jeff for some reason. Makes me laugh.  :lol:

pardales

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:47 pm »
Congrats. A fine looking finish.... :thumb:

OgOgilby

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:20 pm »
Wow Justin (unless you prefer to go by Jason or Jeff), those are nice! I like the way the veneer color works with the copper driver dust cap.

And as always... great job Jim!

funkmonkey

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2010, 09:00 pm »
LOL I always get either Jason or Jeff for some reason. Makes me laugh.  :lol:

Doh!  sorry Justin...   should have re-read the title of the thread rather than stirman's post just above mine.  :duh:

enjoy your speakers, JUSTIN  :D

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:01 am »
Thanks everyone! I'm really really excited. Nuance, I've talked to you a few times on AVS- you and TJHUB are the ones who really got me excited about Jim's products. I've still got a pair of SongSurround I's- time to step it up!

Thank you Jim for the beautiful speakers! I can't wait till I get em here.

Justin

Ah yes - I remember.  How could I forget; you're such a nice guy!  I am glad you're "moving up;" you deserve it buddy.  I look forward to your impressions!

Seattle Sound

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2010, 05:05 pm »
Doh!  sorry Justin...   should have re-read the title of the thread rather than stirman's post just above mine.  :duh:

enjoy your speakers, JUSTIN  :D

No worries, Funk. I'm just really excited that these speakers will be mine soon! This is really like the first step- now I have to get all my source equipment up to par. It's fun though.

Ah yes - I remember.  How could I forget; you're such a nice guy!  I am glad you're "moving up;" you deserve it buddy.  I look forward to your impressions!

Thanks Nuance. It's been what feels like an eternity, and it's just been a few years! I've gleaned a lot of fantastic info from everyone here. You all rock!  :rock:

Seattle Sound

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2010, 02:27 am »
Wow. Just... wow.

HoosierInOhio

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2010, 02:44 am »
Wow. Just... wow.

So they sound OK then :eyebrows:?

TJHUB

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2010, 02:47 am »
Wow. Just... wow.

Congrats!  There is little out there as great as your first couple of days with your new Salk speakers.  :thumb:

Seattle Sound

« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2010, 03:43 am »
Heh, yes they image like crazy. The first day I didn't really have any bass and then BOOM. I gotta figure out some more bass treatment! Placement is, of course, not ideal. I don't have room to pull them out 2 feet from the wall. They are currently around 15". It's gonna be fun!

muu

« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2010, 06:19 am »
Just thought I'd post an update.

I adopted Justin's pair of HT1-TLs this weekend; he wants to get a better set for HT use, but couldn't keep the HT1s as getting the entire veracity set for a 5.1 setup would be rather prohibitive in price.  It took a total of 7hours for the drive to and back, but it was definitely worth it.

As you can see below, the color of the veneer has changed pretty dramatically over the last 6 months.  It is slightly exaggarated due to low lighting in my living room, but the colors have definitely gotten bolder and more defined.  IMO it looks a ton better now than the somewhat pale original look.

The thing did image like crazy at Justin's when I was trying it out, after bringing it home I've been finding half of that may have been due to room characteristics.  Still does very well and is a joy to listen to, but I haven't been able to recreate the insane amount of imaging I got listening to it in Seattle.  I've been playing around some with toe-in, still haven't exactly nailed down where I think would be the best spot (right now it's only angled about 5-10deg inwards) for imaging and soundstage.

I was slightly worried about brightness, as I've read elsewhere that the metal SEAS woofer combined with the higher crossover of the LCY ribbons can cause some of the not-so-well-recorded tracks to sound bright; so far I'm not finding that to be the case, and it's actually been less of a problem in that respect compared to the SVS MBS-01 it replaced.  All in all I've been very, very happy so far with the set.