Need suggestions for good interconnects that are also a good value

dflee

I'm enjoying some cables from Morrow Audio. Started with MA-2 and found them so good I now have a pair of 4. The 1 starts at a pretty reasonable price.

Don

doug s.

• makin' music
well, i have now had a couple days to use a couple pairs of the 4-wire pure silver litz braid cables that i purchased directly from the ebay seller dogsplodge for $50/pair shipped.  (i got 3 pairs.)  i must say up front that i am not one of those who hears a lot of differences from changing out ic's.  and, my system is actively triamped, w/tube buffers, dac/transport, linestage/fono stage, dbx in the tape loop, added passive ldr remote wolume attenuator, etc.  in other words, i have a lot of ic's in my system.  so, it's unlikely that adding two pairs of cables in my system is gonna change the world.   therefore, you will not hear me going on about how i suddenly heard soundstage precision not heard before, added cymbal sheen, etc...  :lol:

but, i do know when something is transparent and detailed, or weiled and dull.  and, i can safely say that my system is still as transparent as it ever was.  cables replaced were one pair of kimber-clone 3-wire pure silver ic's from my deqx to my gainclone driving my woofers in my lascala bass-bins; a second pair replaced a pair of alpha-core tq2-ag's that went from the passive ldr remote wolume control to the deqx.

the service, communication, the packaging from mick, aka "dogsplodge" was exemplary, and it's hard to imagine finding better cabling for $50/pair delivered.  (or even $60/pair if you only want one pair.)  highly recommended.

doug s.

Big Red Machine

I make my own cables now but did come across info on this fellow and his stuff looks very nice and straightforward.

http://auricleaudiodesign.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

He has some sales on now at Audiogon.  Maybe someday I will try some but I like my own work a lot!

toobluvr

I'm enjoying some cables from Morrow Audio. Started with MA-2 and found them so good I now have a pair of 4. The 1 starts at a pretty reasonable price.

Don

The boat may have sailed on Morrow cabling as far as "budget".  I think they are phenomenal and I wire my entire system with it.   I still think they are great value and worth the money, but his prices have been creeping up.   He's a good marketer in that he keeps offering ever rising "discounts" on his email flyers.  So on the surface his pricing looks more attractive...unless you have paid attention and watched it over time.  Yes, he has upped his discounts, but his base prices have really jumped such that your net price has gone up.

Were I to buy today what I did a year ago (2 runs spkr cable,  2 pair IC)  it would cost several hundred $$ more -- even with his best discount!   But from a sonic perspective, it is outstanding.

There is buzz and Morrow is getting popular.  Lots of cable has been sold, so they are starting to appear on AG.   Keep your eyes peeled.  A month ago a guy was selling several 1m pairs of MA3 IC (what I use) with upgraded Eichmann connectors for $95.   I can't imagine anything giving better performance for the price,  as evidenced by the fact that they all sold in one hour.  I know that cause I tried to buy them!    :wink:
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 07:48 pm by toobluvr »

*Scotty*

I think Reality Cables from Gregg Straley are a very good value for the performance they deliver. My entire system is wired with his cables. I would characterize his prices as reasonable,they are not dirt cheap,once again everyones individual pain threshold is a little different,so my idea of reasonable my be your definition of high priced.   
http://www.realitycables.com/products_pricing.html
Scotty

toobluvr

I think Reality Cables from Gregg Straley are a very good value for the performance they deliver. My entire system is wired with his cables. I would characterize his prices as reasonable,they are not dirt cheap,once again everyones individual pain threshold is a little different,so my idea of reasonable my be your definition of high priced.   
http://www.realitycables.com/products_pricing.html
Scotty

I owned Straley Reality speaker cables.  Decent cable, but to my ear the Morrows are better.  As always, YMMV.

JeffBrown

For budget cables I think my current faves are Lighthouse cables made by Nightshade Audio, and Stager Silver Solids.

http://marc.stager.com/silver/intro.htm
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79527.0

BobM

I owned Straley Reality speaker cables.  Decent cable, but to my ear the Morrows are better.  As always, YMMV.

What about the Nagy's John?  :scratch:

Ruby Mae

Don

I like my Morrow cables too (ic,speaker & pc). He is having a 40% off sale on new cable (20% on used) thru end of April. If you buy new and don't like them, they can be returned which is always a plus  :thumb: 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!

John,

Have you tried any higher up in the Morrow line?

Have you tried his xlr ic's?

Thanks,

George

Jon L

A used pair of PS Audio Transcendent pure-silver IC's can be found for $160-180, and "normal" audiophiles and systems should not require anything further IME. 

http://www.10audio.com/psaud_ref_trans.htm

toobluvr

John,

Have you tried any higher up in the Morrow line?

Have you tried his xlr ic's?

Thanks,

George

No George, I have not.   I simply set a budget and bought what I could for that $$.

I do know that his models only differ by the number of solid core conductors. As you go up the Morrow ladder, he uses more conductors, but identical in every other way.  The effect of this on performance I have no idea about. 

I'm no shill for the company.  All I can say is that I personally know of at least maybe a dozen folks that have bought them directly based on my enthusiasm, all different models, and they are all happy.   Who knows how many more lurking behind the scenes reading my comments (and others) have done the same.

I have never tried his xlr i/c, but I see no reason why they would not offer similar performance.

toobluvr

What about the Nagy's John?  :scratch:

I'm a busy boy these days Bob!   What with blown woofers, phono stages to compare, amps to compare.  Just overwhelming...I'm only one audio-phool!

:o    :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
A used pair of PS Audio Transcendent pure-silver IC's can be found for $160-180, and "normal" audiophiles and systems should not require anything further IME. 

http://www.10audio.com/psaud_ref_trans.htm
normal audiophile?  do i see an oxymoron alert?   :lol:

this "normal" audiophile thinks $50-$60 shipped is all you need to spend.  (see my post above.)  i have one 1m pair that is presently not in use; if anyone wants to try them, i am happy to send them out, if you want to pick up the shipping tab...  of course, at this price, it might be easier yust to buy a pair...

doug s.

Bill@LakeGeorge

I'll be selling some Morrow MA4's in a week or 2.  I'll have 3 pairs 2@1meter 1@1.5 meter.  I should have my silkworms by then.

The Morrows are great cables but Satfrat let me borrow his silkworms and I just had to have them.

zybar

• Volunteer
I'll be selling some Morrow MA4's in a week or 2.  I'll have 3 pairs 2@1meter 1@1.5 meter.  I should have my silkworms by then.

The Morrows are great cables but Satfrat let me borrow his silkworms and I just had to have them.

RCA or XLR?

Price?

Feel free to PM me.

George

Jon L

of course, at this price, it might be easier yust to buy a pair...

doug s.

Or make a pair.  I have made DIY interconnects using quad-braid of basically the same 4N pure silver in teflon tubes with slightly different RCA plugs.  This type of construction makes for a very high quality sound at bargain prices, and I highly recommend people to make/buy a pair instead of porking over $200-$300 for "name brand" cables with cheaper materials, e.g. OFC stranded copper in PVC dielectric with some fancy jacketing and printing  :?

I'm not sure if PS Audio accidentally achieved superior sound with their Transcendent IC or not, but their particular shielding scheme, choice of solid core silver used, AWG, geometry, all have produced what is likely the finest-sounding (or the most non "sounding") cable PS Audio has ever produced. 

Delacroix

Surprised there has been no mention of Speltz's Anti Cables. I am not sure what the price limit here might be but I decided last week that I want to buy some cables for under $100, and made that my hard and fast price for cables plus shipping. I searched A'gon, checked out the highly regarded and demo versions from various producers.  The best price is definitely Blue Jean, especially if you will roll your own from their Belden wire and connectors ( you can do a pair of decent speaker cables from them shipped for under $35)  but Speltz will do a pair of interconnects or speaker cables at $10 ft/pair, plus $5 shipping. That's pretty competitive pricing on made-to-order cables.

And for those who say they don't hear much difference in their systems from changes in cables and like to poke fun at those who do, well, all I can say is don't buy them then. You don't need to put others down in order to be happy.

dflee

No offense Bill, but braggin about buying the Silkworms at three to four times what the MA-4 ran you in a topic such as this is a little much wouldn't you say.
On the other hand if you are offering them to lupo at a good price than good for you. But I feel you should state price, plug or RCA and condition so everyone reading this could think what a great gesture you've made. Just checked Morrow web site and found as good a deal as I paid for the MA-2 a year ago. Would still like to try the Huffman some time.

Don

zybar

• Volunteer
No offense Bill, but braggin about buying the Silkworms at three to four times what the MA-4 ran you in a topic such as this is a little much wouldn't you say.
On the other hand if you are offering them to lupo at a good price than good for you. But I feel you should state price, plug or RCA and condition so everyone reading this could think what a great gesture you've made. Just checked Morrow web site and found as good a deal as I paid for the MA-2 a year ago. Would still like to try the Huffman some time.

Don

Don,

I didn't view Bill's moving to KCI Silkworms as "braggin" and I don't think his post was out of context based on the posts before him.

George