Atrociously recorded CDs

Napalm

Re: Atrociously recorded CDs
« Reply #20 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:51 pm »
Amanda Martinez debut album - "Sola". Plainly distorted sound. The deeds happened here:

http://www.phaseonestudios.com/staff/george/

What monitors do you see behind him???  :duh:

To his credit, George did a way better job on her second album "Amor", where he got the "retro" sound color just right and without the distortions.

Nap.  :thumb:

mfsoa

« Reply #21 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:55 pm »
But if our goal is to reproduce what the engineer heard, shouldn't we all be using crappy NS-10's?
 :wink:

Napalm

« Reply #22 on: 16 Apr 2010, 05:14 pm »
But if our goal is to reproduce what the engineer heard, shouldn't we all be using crappy NS-10's?
 :wink:

It actually should be the other way round - the engineer trying to figure out what you would hear when playing the record....

The stock NS10's are way past their useful lifetime - they were working great for tuning sound for crappy car stereos, but I think we're past that point.

Their life can be extended though with a sound engineering trick:

http://bobhodas.com/tissue.html

Nap.  :eyebrows:

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 16 Apr 2010, 09:07 pm »
First of all, all Pink Floyd LPs (or CDs) are dark. I have both versions in either format and that is the way they are. If you understood the lyrical content of either album, you'd understand why they sound the way the do, because that's the way PF wanted them to sound.

Next, I'm tired of people blasting Yessongs. It was recorded live in 1973 for gods sake. There aren't too many stellar live recordings from that era or before. Most of the venues where in big none musically friendly halls that liked to have lots of echo. I've made a few live recordings myself, and it ain't no picnic, either.

BTW, I think the Division Bell is a great recording. It is what the artists wanted and that is that. Would you bitch about the colors that any well known painter chose in his/her rendition of what ever they painted?

If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Wayner

Moon Doggy

« Reply #24 on: 16 Apr 2010, 10:12 pm »
   The Who  Who's Next,and Aqualung

the Canadian version of Who's Next was done by Steve Hoffman and the remastering is much better than the 3 or 4 other versions. Available from Amazon Canada and HMV Canada I believe. Heres a quote from Steve Hoffman's discography:

"There have been several cd masterings of Who's Next on MCA, all with the same catalog number. The original 1984 mastering by SH was uncredited.

Steve mastered a version of Who's Next for MCA in the mid-'80s. The catalog number was MCAD-37217.

Chances are if you have a "Manufactured In Japan" pressing it is Steve's. However, MCA switched masters along the way, and at least some, if not all (it is unclear) "Manufactured In The USA" issues are NOT mastered by Steve. Luckily, MCA in Canada has started using Steve's master for their CD. The catalog number is MCABD-37217 and it can be found at www.HMV.com.

At least some BMG music club copies also use Steve's master.

If you are unsure what version you have, look at the total time. If it is around 43:25 (plus or minus a second or two) you should have Steve's version. If it is around 43:13, it is NOT Steve's. Also, keep in mind Steve's master is NOT used on any of the following versions: Germany Polydor, MCA gold, MCA/Polydor remix/remaster with bonus tracks, MFSL gold with bonus tracks."

Cheers,

Napalm

« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:19 am »
First of all, all Pink Floyd LPs (or CDs) are dark. I have both versions in either format and that is the way they are. If you understood the lyrical content of either album, you'd understand why they sound the way the do, because that's the way PF wanted them to sound.
[...]
If you don't like it, don't listen to it.
Wayner

I was talking about overall sound technically, not the mood of the lyrics. I'd say try again, there are obvious differences between their albums (try 2 consecutive ones like "The Final Cut" and "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason").

As for your second very astute remark.... How exactly do you check the technical quality of a CD before buying it? In this neck of the woods we have a "replacement only with identical product" policy. No way to get money back if it proves to be crap. I have a big box of CDs that I would gladly return for a refund, and never listen to them again.

toobwacky

« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2010, 01:18 am »
I'd have to nominate The Soundtrack of Our Lives Origin Vol. 1 as a real sonic disappointment.

It's a shame too because the music is really good!

Unfortunately, I've read that all their CDs sound like crap.    :roll:

Hopefully they will release a live DVD that sounds good.   :drool:

whanafi

« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2010, 03:24 pm »
David Bowie's early recordings.  One of the first CD's I ever bought when the format first started.  Years later, bought a "re-mastered" version and it still sounds like crap compared to the vinyl (and no, I am not a vinyl bigot, just need a reference point for good and bad)

Scottdazzle

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2010, 04:00 pm »
Most of Springsteen's.   :(

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:50 pm »
i am continually amazed how few audiophiles have one of these plugged into the tape loop of their preamps; i have used one for >20 years:

doug s.

Napalm

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:58 pm »
i am continually amazed how few audiophiles have one of these plugged into the tape loop of their preamps; i have used one for >20 years:
doug s.

I know of people using this:

CD quality is not the only reason. I've also seen it done because the guy went for too big speakers for his room.

Napalm

« Reply #31 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:37 pm »
Ah. I just remembered Phil Spector and the "Wall of Noise". Available on vinyl too.

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 19 Apr 2010, 04:20 pm »
Yeah there's quite a few CD's with great musical content that I cannot listen to on my system due to poor recording.  Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily comes to mind, as with some of Sarah McLachlan's earlier CD's.
This I gotta know . . what is it about Tigerlily that makes it unlistenable in your system?  Thanks.

Mag

« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:29 pm »
Rush-Exit Stage Left is pretty bad. The concert dvd isn't much better.  :(

1oldguy

« Reply #34 on: 26 Apr 2010, 02:32 pm »
Rush-Exit Stage Left is pretty bad. The concert dvd isn't much better.  :(

I have this on record,sounds great to this old guy.CD may be a different story.

Mag

« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:02 pm »
I have this on record,sounds great to this old guy.CD may be a different story.
I even put the cd through the BCD-1 restore process, which improved the recording significantly. But I still think the concert was badly recorded having listened to the concert dvd.

Napalm

« Reply #36 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:05 pm »
BMG Heritage label. This is a remix and they placed the vocals on the left channel and instruments on the right.  :duh:

Nap.

Mag

« Reply #37 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:11 pm »
Iron Maiden- Rock in Rio is another bad recording. I mentioned this a few years back in one of my earlier posts.

First I had the dvd, this was before having Bryston amps. On the dvd you could hear the reflected sound of the venue, which is what ruined the playback. The cd version is much better as you can't hear this reflected venue effect.

Also the dvd video was a hack-job jumping around every two seconds to another camera. I had a splitting headache by the end of the concert. Other reviews I read said the same thing about the hack-job.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #38 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:32 pm »
I think the link below will help you understand why there are so many "atrocious" CD's.

http://www.turnmeup.org/

Regards;
    Dan Banquer

shawnbaden

« Reply #39 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:35 pm »
Add Pearl Jam to the list of horribly-recorded popular music.  All of their recordings are just plain awful, and that includes a few pieces of vinyl I have.