If you had an unlimited budget for a music system, what would you purchase?

decal

Bose Wave Radio,that's the ticket!!

richidoo

Ditto the Burmester. Except I want the one with the 20" forged alloys:

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
A new, dedicated & properly treated listening room.

rob80b

I'm pretty content right now, but a new pair of ears wouldn't hurt.

Robert

rob80b

I'm pretty content right now, but a new pair of ears wouldn't hurt.

Robert

On second thought maybe my old ones are more forgiving.

Robert

K Shep

Preamp:            VTL-TL-7.5 Reference Line Preamplifier

Power Amp:       VTL Siegfried Reference Amplifier

CD Player/DAC:  Ayre DX-5 (not released)

Speakers:          Revel Ultima Salon 2's

Cable:               Synergistic Research Precision Reference

Power:              20 amp dedicated circuits

acresm22

I've always had a thing for Shindo gear...maybe its that vintage Altec green color. I'm thinking a complete Shindo system...

TONEPUB

Ditto the Burmester. Except I want the one with the 20" forged alloys:

That's where I'm headed on Wed. morning if the planes are flying to Europe again...  It's a fantastic car system!

*Scotty*

First,I would bankroll a friend of mine so he could have more time to do basic research into new circuits. Money equals time in this case,and time is what he is short on. With the basics taken care of, homes with dedicated sound rooms and freight bills for esoteric loudspeakers are the easy part.
Scotty

« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2010, 03:41 pm by *Scotty* »

Nuance

Very nice, Kirk.  Very nice.  VTL makes some sexy gear!

K Shep

Very nice, Kirk.  Very nice.  VTL makes some sexy gear!

And the sound VTL makes are wonderful!

pjg66

Though the newest audio component I own is about ten years old, I would probably keep what I have.  Because (1) I am very happy with it, and (2) I've learned something about chasing rainbows.

At this point, I am not looking for more audio nirvana.  Already have a sufficient measure of that.  What I would do with the money is way off topic, so I won't get into that.

Happy listening.

Paul G.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
I would personally design and build the amp and preamp from the ground up around the Purity Silver Statement preamp. Amplifiers would be 2 sets 100-200 watt tube mono blocs (have a few designs on the drawing board). Speakers would be large open baffle arrays based on some custom design Raal tweeters and 5" lower midrange drivers (I would have someone design the speakers for me). I already have the subwoofer design.

The only thing I would have to purchase would be the source gear. I am thinking a MBL CD system, room treatments (I would have someone come in a do the room for me) and turntable which I have no idea. Probably the top of the line Acoustic Solid----love their tables.

Of course I would have to build a large listening room and new house for the wife first

K Shep

Though the newest audio component I own is about ten years old, I would probably keep what I have.  Because (1) I am very happy with it, and (2) I've learned something about chasing rainbows.

At this point, I am not looking for more audio nirvana.  Already have a sufficient measure of that.  What I would do with the money is way off topic, so I won't get into that.

Happy listening.

Paul G.

Thank you for stopping by  :thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio

What I would do with the money is way off topic, so I won't get into that.

Good point. With an unlimited amount of spending money, there would be a lot of other things that would take priority. My family first but then I would have to think about "my toys". Audio is more than a business for me. It really is a passion. I enjoy what I do as well as the results that come from it............the music.

Bigfish

I really do not know what I would want for gear if I had an unlimited amount of money to spend on audio; however, the first thing I would want would be a large dedicated audio/video room.  A local friend, Carlman, completed a dedicated audio mancave last year and I have been able to experience audio in that room.  Once I had the opportunity to experience audio in a room designed for the purpose I definitely understood the importance of a proper audio listening room.

Ken

toobwacky

I'd start with a pair of these:

Then hire my tube guru buddy to build custom SET amps and buy the best digital pre-amp I could get that could do room correction.

In my dreams.   :green:

Stu Pitt

With an unlimited budget, I'd build a small concert hall with impeccible acoustics and pay bands to drop by and jam.  Maybe have a few beers with them too.  Have about 300 or so seats, a full bar, and allow cigars.  Watching BB King perform on my stage while I enjoy a few pints of Sierra Nevada Porter and an AVO Maduro would be pretty hard to beat.  An original Black Sabbath or Cream reunion wouldn't be too shabby either.

I figure recordings and systems can only get so good.  You can try as hard as you wish, but there's no substitute for the real thing.

Stu Pitt

This thread made me think about one of my favorite conversations in a movie.  From Office Space -

Peter: What would you do if you had a million dollars?

Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.

Peter: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?

Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.

jimdgoulding

Love that, too, Stu.  Well, you would build a listening sanctuary first, right?  So, I'd build one around some big Sound Labs and I'd feed em with I don't know what all but I'm sure I would enjoy finding out.  Tell you what, tho, I'm value conscious and that wouldn't go away. 
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 11:08 pm by jimdgoulding »