Ebag4's V-1 Build

ebag4

Re: Ebag4's V-1 Build
« Reply #60 on: 14 May 2010, 05:05 pm »
Hi Guys,
I haven't made much progress with the Derby and Mother's day eating up the last two weekends.  I have been working on bolting the feet to the speakers which is complete, installing the binding post boards which is complete, the covers for the crossovers which are close but still need some work prior to veneering them, and boxes for the sub amps which are close to complete, I need to get the strain reliefs installed and then of course apply the finish.  Here are a few pics of the amp boxes:

I hope to begin applying the finish next week weather permitting.  I will start with the amp boxes, someone noted that the Maple veneer may not seal properly without using a sealer so the boxes should be a good test to see how the poly affects the Maple.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2010, 05:10 pm »
Lookin' great as always!  Can't wait to pick them up.   :D

ebag4

« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2010, 05:13 pm »
Lookin' great as always!  Can't wait to pick them up.   :D

Thanks Jason.  Just let me know when you will be here and don't forget to bring some $$$ :lol:.  Wait, that would mean that I would have to start another build.  I would'nt get too far before the "Boss" killed me for diving into another large project. Better bring many $$ so I can leave the country! :lol:

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #63 on: 14 May 2010, 05:39 pm »
I forgot a couple of other items that I completed since I last posted.  I also drilled the cabinet for wiring and came up with my "bowtie" solution.  I have only taped these on the baffle, I am still trying to decide if they are going to stay this way or if I am going to make them a bit thinner, here they are:

Best,
Ed

TomS

« Reply #64 on: 14 May 2010, 05:47 pm »
Those amp boxes look way better than mine!  I really do need to learn this veneer thing.  Great job and lookin' good  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #65 on: 14 May 2010, 05:51 pm »
Those amp boxes look way better than mine!  I really do need to learn this veneer thing.  Great job and lookin' good  :thumb:
Thanks Tom.  What did you use where the speaker and servo wire comes out of the box?  Did you use another Speakon or is the connection simply pigtailed out of the amp?

Thanks,
Ed

TomS

« Reply #66 on: 14 May 2010, 05:54 pm »
Thanks Tom.  What did you use where the speaker and servo wire comes out of the box?  Did you use another Speakon or is the connection simply pigtailed out of the amp?

Thanks,
Ed
I used Speakons for both ends, only because I thought at some point I might change the lengths of the umbilicals.  There are some pics on my H-Frame thread or gallery somewhere.

sl_1800

« Reply #67 on: 15 May 2010, 01:09 am »
Those are looking really good.

OzarkTom

« Reply #68 on: 16 May 2010, 04:06 am »
I hope I don't disappoint anyone, but after spending two days with the Super V's at the Lone Star Audio Fest, these speakers sound much better than they look. If you think they look good, and you are seriously looking for a new speaker in an appropriate larger sized room, look no further. These are one of the best, and at the price, it is a no brainer.

OzarkTom

« Reply #69 on: 16 May 2010, 04:11 am »
I hope I don't disappoint everyone, but after spending two days with the Super V's at the Lone Star Audio Fest, these speakers sound much better than they look. If you think they look good, and you are seriously looking for a new speaker in an appropriate larger sized room, look no further. These are one of the best, and zt the price, it is a no brainer.

One more note, the bass is the best I have ever heard anywhere.

Brucemck

« Reply #70 on: 16 May 2010, 02:39 pm »
These sounded terrific at LSAF. Even in a lousy hotel conference they imaged with aplomb, had dynamics galore, and had a very nice tonality.  A real home run by Danny.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2010, 06:54 pm by Brucemck »

ebag4

« Reply #71 on: 16 May 2010, 02:58 pm »
I hope I don't disappoint anyone, but after spending two days with the Super V's at the Lone Star Audio Fest, these speakers sound much better than they look. If you think they look good, and you are seriously looking for a new speaker in an appropriate larger sized room, look no further. These are one of the best, and at the price, it is a no brainer.
OT, I'm doing my best to make them look good! :lol:
I'm glad to hear they sounded so good at the show.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #72 on: 16 May 2010, 03:29 pm »
Here is a pic with the grill on. 

Best,
Ed

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #73 on: 16 May 2010, 03:46 pm »
Dang those look great!  Great job. :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #74 on: 16 May 2010, 04:21 pm »
Those are looking really good.
Dang those look great!  Great job. :thumb:
Thanks guys.  I have just put the 4th coat of poly on the amp boxes, they are looking pretty good, can't wait to get the finish on the speakers.  I am going with a satin finish but I am a bit split on the decision, the Maple an Sapele really look good when they are still wet, I am debating whether or not to go gloss.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #75 on: 16 May 2010, 04:28 pm »
Those look great. I find the biggest challenge in speaker building for me is the finishing. Are you going to use a sealer on the veneer or just the poly. I have read that you don't need a sealer and that the first coat of finish acts as a sealer but I have had trouble with maple veneers vs solid wood. The veneer sometimes seems to not seal as well and keeps absorbing finish. I don't know why this happens but the solid wood portions will build a finish faster.

Brian
Brian,
The Maple veneer did seem to absorb the finish somewhat through the first two appications, after that no issue.  I do not see a need for a sealer unless of course you are only going to apply 1 coat  :wink:.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #76 on: 17 May 2010, 12:49 pm »
Man those look good, and I love the non-black grills.

Thanks guys for dropping by to see us at the show. It was a lot of fun.

ebag4

« Reply #77 on: 17 May 2010, 12:58 pm »
Man those look good, and I love the non-black grills.

Thanks guys for dropping by to see us at the show. It was a lot of fun.
Thanks Danny, I made a conscience effort early on to not use black (unlike most of my builds) for this build.

Congrats on the LSAF, it sounds like you had a good show and a great sounding setup.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #78 on: 17 May 2010, 11:40 pm »
Here are a few pics of the amp boxes, this is after 6 applications of satin poly.  They actually look a little better than the pics show, in case you haven't noticed I am not much of a photographer :oops:.

I am still working on the crossover covers, once those are complete I will start applying finish to the speakers!

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 02:17 pm by ebag4 »

drphoto

« Reply #79 on: 18 May 2010, 03:57 am »
I can't believe you haven't put in the drivers and hooked 'em up yet. The glue had barely dried on the first H-frame I made before I mounted up the drivers to take it for a spin. And I'm such a slob, my plate amp sits in the the shipping box w/ the lid cut off. Maybe I could make that cardboard a lot classier w/ a couple of coats of poly.  :wink: