Looking good so far my friend.
 :thumb:

ebag4

Re: Ebag4's V-1 Build
« Reply #41 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:33 pm »
ED
Looking good so far my friend.
 :thumb:

Thanks Trung.  I am working on the feet and binding post board tonight and tomorrow night.  This weekend I will be working on another project!  :wink:

Best,
Ed

Plund

« Reply #42 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:41 pm »
Ed,  These are looking fantastic!  I may need to follow your lead on these as I did your recent N3 build. :)

ebag4

« Reply #43 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:09 pm »
Ed,  These are looking fantastic!  I may need to follow your lead on these as I did your recent N3 build. :)

Thanks Plund. How did your N3's turn out?

edit: Nevermind Plund, I just saw your thread on the N3s, excellent job!

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 07:14 pm by ebag4 »

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #44 on: 23 Apr 2010, 03:25 pm »
WoW!!

Those are are gonna look beautiful!!
Can hardly wait to see them complete.

Still loving mine....best audio investment I ever made.

ebag4

« Reply #45 on: 23 Apr 2010, 04:26 pm »
WoW!!

Those are are gonna look beautiful!!
Can hardly wait to see them complete.

Still loving mine....best audio investment I ever made.

Thanks PDR, glad to hear you are still loving yours. "best audio investment I ever made", that sounds great!  I can't wait to get mine running.  I am working on the base right now, it is close but not quite right.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2010, 08:41 pm by ebag4 »

ebag4

« Reply #46 on: 29 Apr 2010, 05:55 pm »
I haven't made much progress lately, busy with another project and my son's wrestling meets.  I finally landed on a base design, here it is!

I had to bring the baffles up to my office, we have been getting a bit of rain this past week and the humidy in the garage was messing with the veneer, I really need to get it sealed.

Best,
Ed

TomS

« Reply #47 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:12 pm »
Impressive progress nonetheless.  I'm getting a little penguin vibe with the feet - very nice!

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:13 pm »
That looks pretty cool. My concern though is the amount of weight that well be put on those legs. I hope they don't break under the pressure.

These legs are a little wider and 1.25" thick.

ebag4

« Reply #49 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:18 pm »
That looks pretty cool. My concern though is the amount of weight that well be put on those legs. I hope they don't break under the pressure.

These legs are a little wider and 1.25" thick.

Thanks Danny, I have been thinking about the weight too.  The cabinets alone are weighing in at a bit over 60lbs each.  I am not too concerned with the rear, it is 1.5", I have considered adding some additional thickness to the front, they are 1" solid Maple.

Do you know what the aproximate weight with the drivers is?

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:27 pm »
The Super-V model (pictured) weighs 180 pounds each. So the V-1 should come in right around 160 pounds or so built the same. Yours might be in the 150 range.

ebag4

« Reply #51 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:33 pm »
Impressive progress nonetheless.  I'm getting a little penguin vibe with the feet - very nice!
Thanks Tom.  The base seems like a pretty simple concept but for some reason I was having trouble making up my mind which direction to go, glad you like them..
Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #52 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:34 pm »
The Super-V model (pictured) weighs 180 pounds each. So the V-1 should come in right around 160 pounds or so built the same. Yours might be in the 150 range.
Thanks for the info Danny.  With that kind of weight I am going to make certain they are on the floor they will be living on before I mount the drivers!

Best,
Ed

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #53 on: 29 Apr 2010, 08:54 pm »
Either that or add some handles.  :lol:

drphoto

« Reply #54 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:35 pm »
You can count me to help you move 'em. Just give a shout across the river!  :D

ebag4

« Reply #55 on: 30 Apr 2010, 02:09 am »
You can count me to help you move 'em. Just give a shout across the river!  :D
Thanks Joe but I have a strapping 15 year old wrestler who should be up to the task.:thumb: 

Once I get everything set back up I'll let you know so we can set up a time to get you over to the house.  I now have one of Gary Dodd's DIY buffers you can hear as well.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #56 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:05 pm »
Danny, I took you concern to heart, actually I had been debating whether or not to make the base thicker anyway, for both functional and asthetic reasons.  My concern wasn't so much breakage as it was warping, I thought it might be possible for the maple to start giving under the weight, with that said at 150lbs it is still only 50lbs of weight per spike. 

I still need to do some additional sanding and cleanup but this is pretty close to what they will look like when completed.  The spikes are installed, the I drilled a hole large enough to pass the spikes through the added thichness.  I don't believe the weight will be a problem now.  As a bonus I like the look of these better as well, at 1" they looked a bit anemic.  The line of demarcation will remain as I did an 1/8" roundover on the bottom of the top piece and the top of the bottom piece.  Here it is:

This also shows the riser to give me my 3% tilt although it still need to be shaped on the ends and sanded.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:08 pm »
Great work!  Very well done.   :notworthy:

ebag4

« Reply #58 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:22 pm »
Great work!  Very well done.   :notworthy:
Thanks Jason, they seem to be coming together now.

Danny, I can still change the amount of tilt, is/should the tilt be based upon the seating distance?  I will be sitting nearfield to these, should I change the tilt?

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 30 Apr 2010, 02:30 pm »
I think you are in great shape now and the 3 degree tilt is going to be just about right.  :thumb: :thumb: