Ebag4's V-1 Build

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Ebag4's V-1 Build
« Reply #20 on: 17 Apr 2010, 07:17 pm »
Hey Ed,
That's a super good looking build you've got going there. Very well done! :thumb:

I do have one 'noob' woodworking question for you though. Earlier you mentioned lightly wiping down some of the veneer with mineral spirits. It does look very nice, and I can see how this would unclog the pores of the wood. However, what final finish coat will you be using that is compatible with (going over the top of) mineral spirits.

I've built a few pair of speakers, but using natural wood as opposed to paint is new to me and an area I'd like to learn more about.

Thank you very much and rock on Ed.  8)

Bob

p.s. Oh....and thank you for the pictures.  :eyebrows:

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 17 Apr 2010, 07:23 pm »
Hi Bob, thanks.  The mineral spirits evaproates very quickly, it will not interfere with any finish I put on later (but it does give you a glimpse of what the veneer will look like when finished).  I will be using an oil based poly that I have used on previous build, although this time I am going with a satin finish.  Here is a pic of the brand of poly I am using but I will be using the oil based version, not the water based.

Best,
Ed

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 17 Apr 2010, 07:36 pm »
I've never used mineral spirits, and didn't know it evaporates. I thought it was an oily liquid that "stayed around". Good to know you can test the future appearance of wood before you've built the project.
Thank you for the education and picture of poly!

Have a great weekend,
Bob

Bear

« Reply #23 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:15 pm »
I've never used mineral spirits, and didn't know it evaporates. I thought it was an oily liquid that "stayed around". Good to know you can test the future appearance of wood before you've built the project.
Thank you for the education and picture of poly!

Have a great weekend,
Bob

I think you are thinking of mineral OIL.

Ed, those look outstanding.  Did you glue the sides on with the glue applied on top of the veneer?  I know very little about woodworking and would be concerned about not gluing directly to the MDF...this may be a non issue?

Those look amazing...more pics!!!! :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #24 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:24 pm »

Ed, those look outstanding.  Did you glue the sides on with the glue applied on top of the veneer?  I know very little about woodworking and would be concerned about not gluing directly to the MDF...this may be a non issue?

Those look amazing...more pics!!!! :thumb:

Hi Bear,
Yes, I did glue the sides veneer to veneer and I too have an issue with that.  I will be drilling the sides and pegging the side to the base unit in about 5 places per side, good catch!  The reason I did it this way was because I didn't feel I would be able to insert the veneer in the locations that show, not cleanly anyway, so I decided to veneer all of the sides that would have anything showing when complete.  That is also why the outside of the side have not been veneered yet, so I could use nails and pegs during assembly.  With that said, in reality all the MDF is wood fiber and glue and trying to remove the veneer even when the 1-3 hour haven't passed is fruitless, you end up removing small shards of veneer, so I am sure there would not be an issue leaving it this way, but I am going to peg it just to be sure.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 01:53 am by ebag4 »

Bear

« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:32 pm »
Great idea to use the pegs and then veneer over them....I have been contemplating building the super v's(err...having them built, I have no tools and no skill).

Thanks,

Shane. 

dvenardos

« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:45 pm »
Yeah, for mineral spirits think paint thinner.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:57 pm »
Yeah, for mineral spirits think paint thinner.
Ahh yes...I do believe you're both correct.
Oil is what I was thinking of. Thank you.

Bob

ebag4

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:14 pm »
I inserted 6 dowels through each side panel into the main baffle.  Probably overkill but I will sleep easier knowing that though sides are thoroughly affixed to the main baffle.

Two dowels in, makeshift depth guide taped to drill to keep me from drilling through the piece

5 dowels in the side, I added a sixth to the middle section.

All side panels are doweled and sanded, next up...veneering the exterior sides.

Best,
Ed

« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 05:23 pm by ebag4 »

drphoto

« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:44 pm »
Mineral OIL can be used as a laxative. A little bit different than mineral spirits. Just a thought from yer future pharmacist.

Lookin' really good Ed. Can't wait to see/hear 'em.

jdbrian

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2010, 08:19 pm »
Those look great. I find the biggest challenge in speaker building for me is the finishing. Are you going to use a sealer on the veneer or just the poly. I have read that you don't need a sealer and that the first coat of finish acts as a sealer but I have had trouble with maple veneers vs solid wood. The veneer sometimes seems to not seal as well and keeps absorbing finish. I don't know why this happens but the solid wood portions will build a finish faster.

Brian

ebag4

« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:38 pm »
Thanks guys!

Brian, this is my first project using raw Maple so I haven't seen how it will act with poly alone.  I think I will try a sample before finishing the speakers, thanks for the heads up!  I have used this poly in the past however and have never had any reason to use a sealer prior to applying the finish, hopefully this one will turn out as well.

Best,
Ed

tasar

« Reply #32 on: 19 Apr 2010, 01:55 pm »
Hi Ed.....what specifically did you use to seal the cutout areas.....appears glossy, almost lacquer-like

thanks, Dave

ebag4

« Reply #33 on: 19 Apr 2010, 01:59 pm »
Hi Ed.....what specifically did you use to seal the cutout areas.....appears glossy, almost lacquer-like

thanks, Dave
Hi Dave, an age old secret family recipe was used for the cutouts....spackling compound (to seal the MDF edges) spray on Rustoleum primer and Rustolueum spray paint!  :lol:

Best,
Ed

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #34 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:49 pm »
Hi Dave, an age old secret family recipe was used for the cutouts....spackling compound (to seal the MDF edges) spray on Rustoleum primer and Rustolueum spray paint!  :lol:

Best,
Ed
Ed, your speakers are looking AWESOME!  I wish I was making the same kind of progress on mine that you are on yours.  The kitchen comes first... but, I'm almost done with it.

I can hardly wait to see these finished.  Great job.

Dave

drphoto

« Reply #35 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:30 pm »
Yeah I think Ed could have a second career as a custom speaker builder.

ebag4

« Reply #36 on: 20 Apr 2010, 11:24 pm »
Thanks guys.

OK, here is what you have all been waiting for...hello, hello, is this mic on? :wink: :wink:

The sides are now veneered and sanded.  It all came out well, only a few small spots to be patched, primarily around the rounded corner on top, a little chiping going on from the flush trim blade.

It was time again for me to wipe the veneer down with mineral spirits to get another glimpsof the finished product, here you go!

That's it for now.  Tomorrow I will be working on the feet and the binding post board.

I am considering 3 feet instead of four.  If anyone has a compelling argument why not to do this I would like to hear it.

Thanks,
Ed

dvenardos

« Reply #37 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:07 am »
I will be the first on the new pics.  :thumb:

tasar

« Reply #38 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:19 am »
Ed......the drivers approach 80 plus pounds and with spikes I see no compelling reason to use feet unless of course the Vs become "blocking dummies".......!!

Dave

ebag4

« Reply #39 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:05 pm »
Thanks Don.

Dave,
I used poor terminology, I should have said "Base", which will be what the spikes are connected to.  The "base" will have two feet sticking out the front and one out back.  My original plan was two out front and two out back, but I have decided to go with 3 total instead.

You aren't kidding about the weight, the baffles as they sit today are over 60 lbs by themselves, I don't think they will be going anywhere, especially once they are spiked!

Best,
Ed