Tiger and Phil

Affordable$$Audio

Re: Tiger and Phil
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2010, 05:18 pm »
After watching yesterday's round I can see that Tiger's swing is a mess.  There was no consistency in it whatsoever.  No two swings were the same. It's easy to see he's been away from the practice range. Unless the rest of the field does their "Tiger Panic", I just don't see him winning. 

I've always enjoyed Mickleson, but on Sunday's he tries to play beyond his game and it bites him.

Westwood is looking good, but I wonder if he'll get outscored because he managed the course instead of taking advantage of opportunities.

Based upon swing alone, I like KJ Choi's game.  He seems to be playing like nobody's watching him and that to me is a big advantage.

But as always, it's all about the back nine today! 

keenween

« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2010, 05:29 pm »
You are completely missing the point.  None of what you are arguing has anything whatsoever to do with major championship golf.  George asked twitch54 why he thought a major golf championship was both a test of golf and a test of character.

I did not miss the point. George's post to which I responded was about the generality of holding athletes to a higher moral standard. I did not respond to if a major gold championship was a test of both golf and "moral" character. I never stated a moral golfer was a better golfer  :D

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2010, 05:40 pm »
Go back and read George's post and the post he responded to.  :wink:

I mistakenly thought you were trying to further the discussion along those lines.

--Jerome

twitch54

« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2010, 07:56 pm »
And I think you are dead wrong. 

That's fine....and I disagree...yes the man is an incredible golf talent who happens to be a slut, I didn't say that made him a bad person, I just don't hold him in high regard, I personally couldn't care less if he never wins another major !

As far as athletes being role models, I'm way past that 'age of concern', but if I want to judge someone by their morals, character, etc I've got every right to do so !

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2010, 08:36 pm »
...if I want to judge someone by their morals, character, etc I've got every right to do so !

That's fine too, just don't kid yourself into thinking that a major golf championship is a test of moral character -- which is what you originally attempted to argue.

I leave you to have the last word if you must.

--Jerome

twitch54

« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2010, 09:22 pm »
I leave you to have the last word if you must.

--Jerome

Jerome, I do agree with you(for the most part)......but think about this for a moment.... suppose someone took 'performance enhancing' drugs....what does that say about his or hers character ?? now I'm NOT insinuating this is an issue, rather that there are alot of things that shapes ones 'character' for which I (and alot of others) do judge.

here's an analogy....do you ever think 'A-Rod' will eclipse Jeter as 'Mr Yankee'...of course not !

rodge827

« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm »
Congrats to Phil and his family!!!!!  :D

You deserved this one!!!!! :thumb:

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2010, 11:30 pm »
:nono: You're right, I should focus on not cheating on my wife with a plethora of women. I should probably focus on ending my dog fighting ring too.

I don't hold athletes to any standard, but when they choose to get paid for marketing and advertisements based on an image, then said image is destroyed due to their personal actions, then a giant PR campaign is launched instead of addressing the issue straightforward with fans and people wearing clothing with their insignia...I lose respect. But that is just my opinion. Tiger will still entertain people with his great golfing performances, and that is what matters to many fans.

I was not amazed when he failed to live up to a standard, just disappointed for all the little kids wearing Tiger hats that might view him as a role model.

Like Mike, I want to be like Mike.  :duh:

Cheating on your spouse and running dog fighting ring are in the same category?

One of those acts is not a crime and is up to the couple to determine its severity and impact.  The other act is a felony crime.

We definitely have different views on things.

George 

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2010, 11:34 pm »
Jerome, I do agree with you(for the most part)......but think about this for a moment.... suppose someone took 'performance enhancing' drugs....what does that say about his or hers character ?? now I'm NOT insinuating this is an issue, rather that there are alot of things that shapes ones 'character' for which I (and alot of others) do judge.

here's an analogy....do you ever think 'A-Rod' will eclipse Jeter as 'Mr Yankee'...of course not !

How does taking performance enhancing drugs come into the same conversation with cheating on your spouse?

This is second time I have seen a comparison of cheating on your spouse with a felony crime.  Folks they are not even remotely the same thing.

Before anybody asks or gets the wrong idea.  I am a happily married man (just about to celebrate my 8th anniversary) who has never cheated on his wife and I take my wedding vows as a lifetime commitment.  So please don't label me as somebody who condones cheating on your spouse.  I am just asking that we keep it in perspective and not compare it to crimes.

George

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2010, 11:38 pm »

BTW, I have seen the performance enhancing drugs discussion go in multiple directions when it comes to negatively impacting somebody's character.  For those athletes we like or aren't quite at a "Hall of Fame" level, I have seen the public be extremely forgiving and understanding.  For star athletes or people perceived as negative or nasty by the media, it is the most heinous crime and time to bring out the pitchforks.

Like almost everything, there are very few absolutes.

George

srb

« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2010, 11:40 pm »
This is second time I have seen a comparison of cheating on your spouse with a felony crime.  Folks they are not even remotely the same thing.

I agree.  Cheating on your spouse is much worse than taking performance enhancing drugs.

Steve

martinr

« Reply #31 on: 11 Apr 2010, 11:56 pm »
Congrats to Phil and his family - IMO he deserved this win considering 1. how well he played and 2.  Everything he and his family has been through this year -
of course its poignant that the guy who screws his family looses (4th) and the guy who plays for his family (Phil) wins -

I wonder how Cheetah (tigers) wife feels about his play - or if she even cares?
I think it always helps to have your friends and family behind you no matter what you do.

Although I am a bit cynical when it comes to Cheetah - I sincerely hope he can get his life and game together - it helps the U.S economy in a small way.

- Martin

gerald porzio

« Reply #32 on: 12 Apr 2010, 12:00 am »
Tiger ran out of holes, so to speak.

twitch54

« Reply #33 on: 12 Apr 2010, 12:05 am »
How does taking performance enhancing drugs come into the same conversation with cheating on your spouse?

in the realm of 'character' !

I am a happily married man (just about to celebrate my 8th anniversary)

George, you're still a 'rookie'...on your honeymoon no less !  ...Congrats !! when you make it to thirty five years let me know....oh hell I'll be dead, don't worry about it !

JackD201

« Reply #34 on: 12 Apr 2010, 12:22 am »

Legally speaking, having ANOTHER wife would. So would managing your wife in an underground fight club. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great win Phil!!!! Well deserved for sure!

Welcome back Tiger!

Keep at it Anthony, and it will be sooner rather than later!

Bigfish

« Reply #35 on: 12 Apr 2010, 12:45 am »
I would just like to say congratulations to Phil as he had a fantistic tournament. 

This was certainly one great final day at the Masters!

keenween

« Reply #36 on: 12 Apr 2010, 01:50 am »

One of those acts is not a crime and is up to the couple to determine its severity and impact.  The other act is a felony crime.

We definitely have different views on things.

George

I was sarcastically commenting on your post about athletes' character and morals vs. a public standard. The two are in the category of recent athletes who have come under public scrutiny for scandal, of course not a category of legal equivalence. somethin somethin: focus on how each of us might strive to be better and become what we push on our athletes.

I really enjoyed watching the last 9 today, good stuff!  :D

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #37 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:32 am »
Well it didn't take long for the media morons to start with the Tiger Woods is finished crap and his swing is in desperate need of repair nonsense.  Do any of these clowns even play or understand the game of golf?

What writers like Robert Lusetich suffer from is total lack of perspective.

Year    Wins
2009     6
2008     4
2007     7
2006     8
2005     6

Tiger has had occasional struggles with his game, as have other golfers -- even Phil Mickelson.  I will see a real problem with Tiger Woods' on course performance when he stops winning golf tournaments and there is a decline in his number of top 10 and top 25 finishes.

--Jerome

BobM

« Reply #38 on: 12 Apr 2010, 01:15 pm »
Even as crappy as Tiger's swing looked, he still finished close to the top of the heap. I know there's at least 50+ other guys in that tournament who would be happy to be in that spot, inconsistent swing and all.

Bigfish

« Reply #39 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:42 pm »
Tiger Woods is if not the best golfer in the world, he is certainly in the top five.  No one that knows anything about golf can dispute this as a fact.  I personally do not pull for Tiger because I have always disliked the way he reacts to the crowds, the media and his tantrums on the course.  My feelings are based on his past but in no way take away from my believe he one of the best golfers to ever play the game.  I also have to say I admire Tiger for manning-up about the mistakes he has made toward his wife and family.  Whether or not Tiger and his wife continue as husband and wife is purely their business.  However, as he is in the entertainment business he must always remember he will be judged by his actions.

Ken