Have you ever....

Zero

Have you ever....
« on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:08 am »
.. had the opportunity to revisit old components that you once owned, only to realize how awesome they were?

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
Re: Have you ever....
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:54 pm »
No, but I have been disappointed that they seemed worse than I remembered.  Guess it depends on what you've owned in the past.

Dan

MLS

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2010, 10:56 pm »
I am currently using my Technics SL5 turntable that had not been used since 1986 that I originally bought in high school.  I put a D Shibata stylus on the original P cartridge and it sounds better than I remembered or would have imagined.  And it takes up very little space.  And is much safer around little kids than the Pro-Ject Xpression III I had before.

Scott

I guess I should change my Avatar. :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2010, 01:23 am »
No.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2010, 01:51 am »
I have to agree with Dan on this one, but I do enjoy the old Sansui tuner every once and a while.

I put a D Shibata stylus on the original P cartridge and it sounds better than I remembered or would have imagined.

MLS, which stylus did you get, and where? LP gear? I still have my old SL-7 from high school days and I've been thinking about firing it up again. I'm sure the stylus is shot. Is the main part of the cartridge still worth keeping after all of these years?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:26 am »
.. had the opportunity to revisit old components that you once owned, only to realize how awesome they were?

Yes!

10+ years ago I owned an Atma-Sphere M-60 mono blocs and sold them (I can't even remember the reason why).  I went back to using Atma-Sphere amplification and I couldn't be happier.   :thumb:

I loved the Atma-Sphere sound all those years ago when teamed up with Coincident and Gallo speakers and I think the evolution of the Atma-Sphere technology coupled with Vandersteen 5A's is a whole new level of performance.

Glad that I went back.

George

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:58 am »
I have to agree with Dan on this one, but I do enjoy the old Sansui tuner every once and a while.

MLS, which stylus did you get, and where? LP gear? I still have my old SL-7 from high school days and I've been thinking about firing it up again. I'm sure the stylus is shot. Is the main part of the cartridge still worth keeping after all of these years?

I still enjoy my old Sansui as well.

None of the new ones seem to have that look.

Dan

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2010, 04:22 am »
No, but I have been disappointed that they seemed worse than I remembered.  Guess it depends on what you've owned in the past.

Dan
This.

TerryO

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2010, 04:58 am »
No, mainly because I never get rid of anything. However, the really good gear of yesteryear still manages to acquit itself quite well.

Best Regards,
TerryO

hifitommy

YES i have
« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2010, 09:35 pm »
long ago i used a quatre preamp with a 100wpc amp and eventually  moved on to other things.  eventually i ended up with an ARC sp3a1 which is wonderful.  when it developed some distortion, i went to my quatre and was quite happy with its quietness and overall great performance. 

then one channel failed so i went to my soundcraftsmen pe2215 preamp that has a ten band per channel eq built in.  i dont use the eq much at all but the preamp is quite respectable.  i can see why it received good reviews back in the day. 

i also have gotten good service out of a couple of fisher rack system tuners.  certainly not as grat as my old hk citation fifteen but that died long ago.