Myths of this hobby-Debunk this..!!!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Myths of this hobby-Debunk this..!!!!
« on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:17 pm »
As a new member to this hobby, I constantly read about various items that claim to make "all the difference", "cryo sealed", "special mojo"..etc.. you know what I'm talking about. Do $1400 interconnects make a huge impact? Do CD mats do anything? I am NOT in anyway saying all these things are crap, just using examples. So whats up with stuff?? Tell me what stuff you think is real and what stuff you think is bogus?? :thumb: :thumb:
Please lets not make this any type of manufacturer bashing thread, think Mythbusters.
 Thanks
 Ed L.
Niteshade's post got me thinking about this thread-thank you Niteshade

JohnR

Re: Myths of this hobby-Debunk this..!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:22 pm »
That you need to spend a lot of money to enjoy yourself.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:25 pm »

+1

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:27 pm »
+2, Happily enjoying my modest investment!!!

pardales

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:39 pm »

+3 -- Over the years of my participation at AC I can say that my overall system cost has actually gone down, and my enjoyment of my system has gone up. This may be strange, but it is very true for me.    :green: :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:41 pm »
+3 -- Over the years of my participation at AC I can say that my overall system cost has actually gone down, and my enjoyment of my system has gone up. This may be strange, but it is very true for me.    :green: :thumb:
This is definitely true for me too, though I still have a lot invested.  The advice and experiences of other people here has been invaluable and allowed me to optimize quite a bit.

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:42 pm »
I think that as a newbie you need to focus on the basics. Find a speaker style that you like (horns, super-efficient, cones, planer, etc.). Find an appropriate amp to drive them (SS, tubes, SET, etc.). Find a preamp that compliments that amp. Find a source within your budget that has the sound you are after. Get some basic cables to hook it all up - stay away from zip cord but don't go overboard on price. Play with setup and room treatments until you hear what everyone is talking about tonally and spacially. Then enjoy yourself.

Once you have it all up and working and are fairly happy with the sound you can begin to play, or not, as your finances allow - swapping things in and out to see how they each affect the sound you hear and like. The expensive toys are primarily for people with extra disposable income and an urge to try and play - not always for improvement, and often out of sheer boredom, but sometimes out of the urge to learn and experiment.

It is a hobby and some people are super enthusiasts, some are musicians, some are engineers, etc.. Each has their different priorities, different ears and different amount of cash to spend. So just enjoy yourself and take it slow.

gerald porzio

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:42 pm »
If it does't pass the science & smell test, it's probably bogus. For some bogus is the key ingredient in their synergistic stew.

K Shep

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:07 pm »
I've built my system over the past 12 months stepping up in monetary value along the way.  Once I was at a point in which I thought I was happy I tried cabling.  Power cords, interconnects and speaker cables.  From $950 PC's to $4000 speaker cables.  In my system, in my room I could not hear a difference, therefore can't validate spending that kind of money on cabling. 

I didn't debunk a myth I just satisfied my curiosity.

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2010, 04:08 pm »
If it does't pass the science & smell test, it's probably bogus. For some bogus is the key ingredient in their synergistic stew.

And exactly what is the science and smell test?  I have a BSEE and MSEE, so I tend not to believe in wire making a difference.  On the other hand, I've performed comparisons on my system with interconnects and speaker cable and was easily able to hear a difference.  My logical brain doesn't like it, but that's what happened.

Also, just because things make logical sense don't mean they're correct.  For instance, it makes logical sense (at least to me) that eating more (insoluble) fiber would mean fewer cancers and other ailments because the fiber would allow potential carcinogens to pass through the body instead of being absorbed.  However, many actual (that is, not epidemiologic) tests of this hypothesis have failed to find such a benefit.  Sounds good, but it just doesn't work. 

toobluvr

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2010, 04:15 pm »
Once upon a time, sailors thought they'd fall off the edge of the flat earth if they sailed out too far.  That was based on the tools and science at their disposal at the time, but that didn't make it so in actuality.

Moral of the story:  science doesn't work unless it is properly evolved and complete.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2010, 04:25 pm »
You need a room with good dimensions and acoustic treatments.
You need a source like a turntable or a disk spinner/digital file transport with a DAC. 
You need a preamp or source that has volume control.
You need an amplifier.
You need speakers. 

These should be comparable in performance range as the system will only be as good as the weakest link. 
I would start with basic cables with proper gauge and solid construction.  You can try boutique ones later if you want.  Clean power is a concern and you should do everything you can to isolate your audio from other appliances and dimmer switched lights.  Power conditioning or regenerating may or may not make a difference depending on where you are on the power grid. 

Oh, and you need good software.  Buy lots of them and enjoy.  Get your spouse to share your passion and audiophile life is much easier. 

K Shep

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2010, 04:47 pm »
You need a room with good dimensions and acoustic treatments.
You need a source like a turntable or a disk spinner/digital file transport with a DAC. 
You need a preamp or source that has volume control.
You need an amplifier.
You need speakers. 

woodsyi,

Are the 5 above myths you've debunked? 

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2010, 04:48 pm »
Heh heh, I was really scratching my head by the time I got the fourth item in the list... ;)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2010, 04:49 pm »
hahaha!! This is most definitely a spirited bunch!!
"Thats a FACT Jack!!"

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2010, 05:17 pm »
woodsyi,

Are the 5 above myths you've debunked?

I was just laying out the bare necessary components (disregarding the use of cans for this discussion) to point out that each component is integral to the overall sound and that the overall level of performance is limited by the lowest performing component, including the room which is often neglected.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2010, 05:35 pm »
Get your spouse to share your passion and audiophile life is much easier.

Thats an important thing to consider before entering the hifi world. If she does...you can spend the money you want.  :wink:

honesthoff

« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2010, 07:02 pm »
K Shep,

Those Revel's look sweeeet!

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 6 Apr 2010, 07:21 pm »
Even if the alleged myths have been debunked (many have), there are those who will still refuse to accept it (members of this very forum, in fact).  Thus I'd say I hope this thread doesn't go down into the pooper.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2010, 07:33 pm »
------snip------------

Moral of the story:  science doesn't work unless it is properly evolved and complete.

Then in your opinion, are you saying science will never be relevant?

Anyone know of a science that is complete?

life is a mystery,

Dan   :scratch: