Modifying the LCR-15 Center Speaker

Delacroix

Re: Modifying the LCR-15 Center Speaker
« Reply #20 on: 5 May 2010, 10:22 pm »
..and now for a bit of trivia.  One of the primary uses of kapok back in the olden days was filling for life jackets.  When I was a kid, we all wore life jackets with kapok filling when ever we set sail in dad's 12' fishing boat.

If you were fishing, I suppose it helped with the bass ;)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #21 on: 5 May 2010, 11:57 pm »
Yep, "base" of the largemouth variety.

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 6 May 2010, 02:05 am »
... as a stuffer for bass...  How far does a pound of this stuff go?

Bass are not very big so you could probably stuff a couple of dozen.  :)

The kapok is loose and fluffy, I used in combination with the Dacron. The stuff will be blown out the bass port with loud music which is really cool to watch. I use it to fine tune a speaker instead of filling a module, usually in the upper chamber. A port screen might be necessary with the VR5.

I'll weigh the bag this weekend, I lost my little postal scale but can use a friends scale when I see her on Saturday.

Wayne

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 8 May 2010, 06:42 pm »
This volume of Kapok weighs 4.5 ounces, it would fill 3 LCR-15's, maybe even 4.

Wayne

face

« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2010, 11:15 pm »
Strips of Dynamat Extreme also works well for dampening baskets, and it won't interfere with the basket's ventilation.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2010, 01:54 am »
..does anyone know if Kapok is an Hallucinogen? :scratch:

face

« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2010, 01:58 am »
..does anyone know if Kapok is an Hallucinogen? :scratch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapok
Ethnomedical uses

Ceiba pentandra bark decoction has been used as a diuretic, aphrodisiac, and to treat headache, as well as type II diabetes.

Ceiba pentandra is used as an additive to some versions of the hallucinogenic drink Ayahuasca.[1]

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2010, 01:21 pm »
You could always smoke what's left over.  It could mean a whole new level of sonics. :eyebrows:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2010, 03:21 pm »
Ever tried Sheepwool?

Sounds good and don't smell if it is washed good.

WGH

« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2010, 04:39 pm »
Ever tried Sheepwool?

You may be onto something. Put those old sweaters with the reindeer and snowflake patterns to good use.

JackD201

« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2010, 05:11 am »
You could always smoke what's left over.  It could mean a whole new level of sonics. :eyebrows:

You have just broken the hearts of Dacron smokers the world over  :cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2010, 12:56 pm »
I say LEGALIZE KAPOK!

Delacroix

« Reply #32 on: 19 May 2010, 06:49 pm »
Well, two weeks later, I've played with putting some extra fill in the bass ports of my VR5s. At first I seemed to tighten the bass up nicely but after a while it did not sound so right to me. So I started playing around with pushing the stuff right up inside, just inside but at bottom floor, and finally in various distances on the port (which is not as deep as I had imagined). Yes, this stuff does change the sound, and where you stuff the stuff, so to speak, matters. However, to confirm a final choice, I put some Holly Cole samples on repeat and did a firmer comparison between the various locations on the exact same pieces of music and decided, ultimately, that I prefer the Vons stock -- no additional fill added. Ultimately, while I could reduce the bass level, and even get it to the point where it sounded as if I'd rolled off a bass tone control, for those who remember such features on amps, the music across all frequencies just seemed to lack a little life and space in presentation. It was not just the bass, it was the total balance, and I felt music  sounded better all round with no additional material in the bass cabinet.  YMMV.

If you are constrained by positioning (which I am not really), the extra fill can be an interesting and really cheap way to adjust the sound in your room but for me, with the fronts some 56"  out from any walls, the 5s just sounded more natural without extras.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 19 May 2010, 07:14 pm »
I went through the same exercise with my anniversaries and ended up going back to the stock fill.  Albert had asked questions about my room before he starting stuffing and apparently pretty much nailed it.

face

« Reply #34 on: 19 May 2010, 08:12 pm »
Swapping out that cheap poly cap for something better would probably make a nice improvement. 

WGH

« Reply #35 on: 19 May 2010, 09:49 pm »
Swapping out that cheap poly cap for something better would probably make a nice improvement.

In the LCR-15? Good luck with the Dremel tool and burr bit, the crossover components are potted in epoxy.
I would hate to nick an unseen wire.

Delacroix

« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2010, 02:13 am »

In the VR5SE? Sorry, I'm not with you....

azhtnut

« Reply #37 on: 28 May 2010, 01:53 pm »
The upgrades of my VR4-jrs and the LCR-15 are finished and waiting for me to pick up in CA on Tuesday.  I thought I'd share Albert's email from yesterday regarding the LCR-15:

Hi Marty,

We just finished and tested the LCR-15 Mk2 “EuroMod” and it sounds stunning!  The vocal clarity is in a different league than the original, with the massive cabinet wall damping and the expensive European parts working together to make that magic transparency we all seek for our systems.  If there is a better sounding center channel, we haven’t heard it!

Cheers,
Albert

Indiansprings

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jun 2010, 05:48 pm »
 :banana piano: