DIY Dodd Buffer

ebag4

Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #980 on: 5 Jul 2011, 05:45 pm »
Well, we'll see (hear).  I just ordered the board and matched LDRs.  It'll work great in the Buffer, I'm sure.

Thanks for the find. :thumb:

Dave
Curious DIYers will be following your progress Dave!

Best,
Ed

TrungT

« Reply #981 on: 5 Jul 2011, 06:10 pm »
Humm .... I need to find my LDR kit, I got it long time ago.
Where's it?
 :scratch:

HT cOz

« Reply #982 on: 5 Jul 2011, 06:32 pm »
Uriah is from Houston.  I was over at his place a few weeks ago and he is a great guy.  He knows a lot about LDRs and how they work.  He has a small clip on U tube of him showing his Lighter note.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r56F17DGrQY

I'll see if he might stop by this forum. 

Robert

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #983 on: 5 Jul 2011, 06:35 pm »
Uriah is from Houston.  I was over at his place a few weeks ago and he is a great guy.  He know a lot about LDRs and how they work.  He has a small clip on U tube of him showing his Lighter note.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r56F17DGrQY

I'll see if he might stop by this forum. 

Robert
COOL!  I like audio zanies like me  :lol:  People that figure out a better way are always on my "groovy people" list.

Dave

pelliott321

« Reply #984 on: 6 Jul 2011, 04:08 pm »
There is no problem with the Warpspeed tracking at low volume.  It uses a multiturn precision pot.  I have no problems going from dead silence and tracking at low levels are very good.
The main problem is all the voltage control stuff is potted(not the LDRs) so he is keeping some stuff private.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #985 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:05 pm »
Any progress using LDR's for volume control of the Dodd buffer? I use Uriah's Lighter Note kit and would love to try it in front of a Dodd buffer.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #986 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:20 pm »
The main problem is all the voltage control stuff is potted(not the LDRs) so he is keeping some stuff private.
And that is a "problem" because...???

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #987 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:21 pm »
Any progress using LDR's for volume control of the Dodd buffer? I use Uriah's Lighter Note kit and would love to try it in front of a Dodd buffer.
Uriah has been on vacation and has just gotten back home.  He'll be shipping mine next week and I'll know soon thereafter.

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #988 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm »
From reading the thread on the LDR volume control, they are very heat sensitive.

Need to keep it away from the tube when you build it.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #989 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm »
Uriah has been on vacation and has just gotten back home.  He'll be shipping mine next week and I'll know soon thereafter.

Dave

Nice! Let us know how you get along.

TrungT

« Reply #990 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:42 pm »
Now Playing:
Warpspeed and In-line Dodd buffer.  WOW  :thumb:

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #991 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:55 pm »
I'm not surprised :D  I've been running my classdaudio amp with Uriah's Lighter Note and a Salas DCB1 buffer. 'WOW' was my reaction too. I don't have a single tube left in my system though, which is why I'm curious about the Dodd buffer.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #992 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:50 pm »
From reading the thread on the LDR volume control, they are very heat sensitive.

Need to keep it away from the tube when you build it.
Especially with the 6H30... it is a little furnace, huh?

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #993 on: 22 Jul 2011, 12:00 am »
Dave,
That is what I am thinking since you have both the 6H30 and regulator dissipating a lot of power.

Attaching the LDR board to the I/O board at the back of the chassis is about as far away as you can get in my buffer.  Maybe putting it in an aluminum tube to keep the temperature stable would be good.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #994 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:06 am »
Dave,
That is what I am thinking since you have both the 6H30 and regulator dissipating a lot of power.

Attaching the LDR board to the I/O board at the back of the chassis is about as far away as you can get in my buffer.  Maybe putting it in an aluminum tube to keep the temperature stable would be good.
Rich, since the LDR board is only 40mm x 60mm I'm going to mount it on the back exterior between the DC input and the I/O's to get it close to the input RCA's.  I'll put a small cover over it with a DC power plug so I can power it with the regulated 5VDC from the BatteryBUSS.

Too easy and away from the heat in the Dodd Buffer.

Dave

HT cOz

« Reply #995 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:16 am »
A kit with just a tube buffer would be super cool.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #996 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:20 am »
Dave,
Sounds good.  Looking forward to your results.  :thumb:

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #997 on: 23 Jul 2011, 12:23 am »
Now Playing:
Warpspeed and In-line Dodd buffer.  WOW  :thumb:

Love that instrumentation knob, Trung! You gotta share us some more of your thoughts... :dance:

It's nice to know the W'speed is gaining some fans in this forum too.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #998 on: 23 Jul 2011, 04:37 pm »
Trung,
I'm curious to know if you put the Warpspeed before or after the buffer. Would like to hear your impressions if you tried it in both positions.

Gopher

« Reply #999 on: 24 Jul 2011, 03:32 am »
Are there any completed Dodd Buffers on or near Long Island?  It is supposed to be a good match for my amplifier, but after deciding I prefer my amp without a Shindo in front of it, I'm a bit apprehensive to start the kit without giving it a try first.