DIY Dodd Buffer

TrungT

Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #1000 on: 24 Jul 2011, 03:56 am »
Warpspeed sounding very nice on it own, quiet, dynamic, detail.
Mac Mini > DIY Wolfson DAC > Warpspeed > Dodd in-line buffer > Class D amp > Dunlavy SCIV 
All battery powered.
Basicly, Warpspeed replaced the analog pot, now you have a nice clean sound, well covered from high to low = Best sounding
 :green: :green:
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2011, 05:24 am by TrungT »

TrungT

« Reply #1001 on: 24 Jul 2011, 11:05 pm »
Spend more time with the Warpspeed and inline Dodd buffer.
To me:
Warpspeed > Inline Dodd buffer or Inline Dodd buffer > Warpspeed

No difference  :thumb:

pelliott321

« Reply #1002 on: 25 Jul 2011, 01:51 pm »
I am still liking the dodd buffer with the warpspeed on the input side, i have not tried on the out because I thought the output impedance would change as you changed the control and I think you want the lowest output impedance you can get going into your power amp.  I am using a 6v russian tube which is working much better that the stock 12v jj. 

ebag4

« Reply #1003 on: 5 Aug 2011, 02:15 pm »
Rich, since the LDR board is only 40mm x 60mm I'm going to mount it on the back exterior between the DC input and the I/O's to get it close to the input RCA's.  I'll put a small cover over it with a DC power plug so I can power it with the regulated 5VDC from the BatteryBUSS.

Too easy and away from the heat in the Dodd Buffer.

Dave

Dave,
From the measurments you listed above it sounds like you went with the Light Speed not the Lighter Note, is this correct?  According to Uriah the LN is 2.5"x7.5".

Have you put yours together yet?  If so, what did you think of the sound?

Thanks,
Ed

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #1004 on: 5 Aug 2011, 03:12 pm »
Dave,
From the measurments you listed above it sounds like you went with the Light Speed not the Lighter Note, is this correct?  According to Uriah the LN is 2.5"x7.5".

Have you put yours together yet?  If so, what did you think of the sound?

Thanks,
Ed
Ed, I just ordered the bare LDR board and LDR's.  Uriah was on vacation for a week or two.  I got them last week and I am accumulation pieces and parts to build it.  The board is 40mm x 60mm and will fit on the back of the Buffer easily.

I ahve been swamped with medical issues and now orders and I'm paddling' as fast as I can.  I'll keep you posted.

Dave

Rclark

« Reply #1005 on: 5 Aug 2011, 09:25 pm »
what's a warpspeed?

HAL

• Industry Contributor

Rclark

« Reply #1007 on: 6 Aug 2011, 08:37 am »
Pardon my ignorance, but it's a fancy volume control?

How and why are people implementing this?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: 6 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm »
Yes, it is a volume control.

It is implemented with Light Dependent Resistors (optocouplers) and is supposed to sound better than a standard volume control.   From the initial reviews from Trung and others it does.

One of the main points is there are no wiping contacts in this circuit like a standard volume control would have.

HT cOz

« Reply #1009 on: 6 Aug 2011, 02:05 pm »
Ed, I just ordered the bare LDR board and LDR's.  Uriah was on vacation for a week or two.  I got them last week and I am accumulation pieces and parts to build it.  The board is 40mm x 60mm and will fit on the back of the Buffer easily.

I ahve been swamped with medical issues and now orders and I'm paddling' as fast as I can.  I'll keep you posted.

Dave

Dave keep us posted on your progress as I am very interested in your thoughts.  Don't forget to get your camera out along the way. 

Robert

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #1010 on: 6 Aug 2011, 02:20 pm »
I see that Gary is now offering a lower cost buffer kit with one input and output. I think this would be a great option for someone who has been wanting a unit but not able to pull the trigger. 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #1011 on: 6 Aug 2011, 02:29 pm »
Looks like an in line tube buffer (no volume controls or anything) that can be put in line with anything.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #1012 on: 6 Aug 2011, 02:32 pm »
Dave keep us posted on your progress as I am very interested in your thoughts.  Don't forget to get your camera out along the way. 

Robert
Will do.  I think I have my Brownie around here somewhere  :lol:

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #1013 on: 6 Aug 2011, 02:33 pm »
Looks like an in line tube buffer (no volume controls or anything) that can be put in line with anything.
That would be a perfect application for the LDR type VC.  Good job, Gary!   :thumb:

Dave

HT cOz

« Reply #1014 on: 6 Aug 2011, 02:38 pm »
That would be a perfect application for the LDR type VC.  Good job, Gary!   :thumb:

Dave

OK now don't sell out before I can get the funds to get one!  :lol:

praedet

« Reply #1015 on: 6 Aug 2011, 04:12 pm »
Man, spent all the money on the top level Buffer, and now I want to try out the inline with a warpspeed :duh:

I don't have a place for it.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #1016 on: 6 Aug 2011, 06:07 pm »
Man, spent all the money on the top level Buffer, and now I want to try out the inline with a warpspeed :duh:

I don't have a place for it.
Yeah, I'm ordering one of the kist so I can keep my Buffer pristine...

Dave

Rclark

« Reply #1017 on: 6 Aug 2011, 09:41 pm »
So ... If I only had one amp and only needed one output, would an ideal situation be this warpspeed into the new simpler buffer that has no volume, into my amp?

TrungT

« Reply #1018 on: 6 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm »
^^^^^
Yes. That would be an ideal  :thumb:
or
You can add the buffer between your SS pre and amp, to get a tube sound.

Rclark

« Reply #1019 on: 7 Aug 2011, 01:38 am »
Trung I have an Emotiva Xda-1 dac with built in volume control. Would I just turn that all the way up? So xda1 into warpspeed into basic buffer into amp.

Also, not a lot of info on the basic buffer. I didn't notice whether or not it came with a tube, and said nothing about chassis or PS for it