Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #640 on: 6 Jun 2011, 01:49 pm »
Sorry to hear about that. It was once thought that athletes were immune to diseases.

It was nice in cool in Long Island averaging 67deg F. We did 116 miles.  I switched tires from GP4000s to a 320tpi Vittoria Open Corsa CX II and this is one supple tire.  :thumb:

BikeWNC

« Reply #641 on: 6 Jun 2011, 01:53 pm »
It's been so very hot here too.  Way above normal.  On the century ride last weekend as we loaded the bus to go down the mountain there was a fellow being tended to by EMS.  He was getting an IV but he looked very gray and I worried about his condition.  I usually wilt in the heat and have to slow down.  On a long ride it will sneak up on you and then wham! you're in trouble.  Be sensible when exercising in this stuff! 

I'm lucky to be able to ride at elevation when it gets hot though lately the weather pattern has been so stagnant the air quality has been poor up high.  Then it's pick your poison or not ride.  Often I choose not to ride. 

jackman

« Reply #642 on: 6 Jun 2011, 03:13 pm »
Levi, I can't imagine riding on those tires, they must be like floating on a cloud! On our roads (chip and seal) with lots of glass and debris, I don't think they would last long enough or resist flats enough to justify the expense but I'm going to try them someday!  I always eye the pair on the shelf in my local shop and have been very tempted to get them, just to see what it's like. 

Also, cool BMC your friend has in the picture.  I'm going to take a picture of my group sometime.  There are some cool bikes but no Cervelo or BMC!  A couple Lynskey, S-Works, Serotta and a Willier Cento Uno (nice) and a Colnago shows up once in a while.  A guy showed up with an older aluminum Felt with a friend who brought an old Trek bonded aluminum/CF bike with downtube shifters two weeks ago and they both killed us.  I hate to think about what they would have  done if they had fancier bikes.  Oh, and I hate those guys! Just kidding about that last part...

Great ride, by the way!  I feel guilty for not getting as many miles in but there were too many family committments and the weather was too hot for me. 

Cheers,

J

Badwater

« Reply #643 on: 6 Jun 2011, 09:40 pm »
Guys,
Thank you all for all the reports and inspiration. You have convinced me to get out my old Cannondale R500 and start riding again.  I haven't been serious riding a bike for close to 15 years as I have focused mostly on trail running and ultramarathons.  it should be interesting as I am sure my legs at 61 aren't same as what the were in my late forties. 

Bill

Levi

« Reply #644 on: 6 Jun 2011, 10:42 pm »
Hey Jack, the 320TPI Vittorias' are the closest you can get to riding tubulars. Obviously, they are not going to be for training but for special occation rides only.

They are available on eBay for $100 pair shipped if you would like to try them.

eBay seller is:longroadmultisport

Levi, I can't imagine riding on those tires, they must be like floating on a cloud! On our roads (chip and seal) with lots of glass and debris, I don't think they would last long enough or resist flats enough to justify the expense but I'm going to try them someday!  I always eye the pair on the shelf in my local shop and have been very tempted to get them, just to see what it's like. 

Levi

« Reply #645 on: 6 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm »
Hey Bill, it is easier to ride a bike than running. It is so passive that you literally had to push a little harder to get a good workout. ;)

mjosef

Only the Heart of Steel Riders can brave NYC roads..
« Reply #646 on: 9 Jun 2011, 07:39 pm »
Don't attempt this unless you live on the edge... :lol:
An interesting 3+ minutes look at driver, riders' and walkers' interaction at a typical Manhattan intersection.  :o
http://blog.ronconcocacola.com/2011/06/02/nyc-goes-three-ways.aspx

Here is another video by a cyclist who got a ticket for riding in the road as opposed to the bike lane...kinda ridiculous in some ways, but he was trying to make a point in response to the ticketing cop's action.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/09/bike-lane-ticket-new-york_n_873790.html
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2011, 08:41 pm by mjosef »

TomS

Re: Only the Heart of Steel Riders can brave NYC roads..
« Reply #647 on: 9 Jun 2011, 08:47 pm »
Don't attempt this unless you live on the edge... :lol:
An interesting 3+ minutes look at driver, riders' and walkers' interaction at a typical Manhattan intersection.  :o
http://blog.ronconcocacola.com/2011/06/02/nyc-goes-three-ways.aspx
Jeez, we're going to visit Manhattan for the first time (on non-business, that is) in July  :o

Brings new meaning to the "Share The Road" bicycle signs that adorn nearly every road here now.

Tom

jparkhur

« Reply #648 on: 10 Jun 2011, 01:00 pm »
Just wanted to thank everyone for help with bike choices for a biggin.  I picked up a 2010 Trek 2.3 with new SRAM Red all around for 1900.  It will be in my hands soon....JP

jackman

« Reply #649 on: 10 Jun 2011, 06:33 pm »
Just wanted to thank everyone for help with bike choices for a biggin.  I picked up a 2010 Trek 2.3 with new SRAM Red all around for 1900.  It will be in my hands soon....JP

If that bike fits you well, it should work fine.  I have SRAM Red and love it.  If I ever change bikes, the SRAM is going on the new bike and my old Shimano is going on the old one.  The shifting is amazing and it is very lightweight.  Trek has a lifetime warranty for original owners.  If you are the original owner of the bike, keep your receipt.  If your Trek comes with a Bontrager saddle, like mine did, you might want to look at getting a new one that is more comfy.  Saddles are usually a place bike manufacturers scrimp. 

I made a deal (with myself) when I got my bike.  I was not going to spend any money on making the bike lighter until I lost 30 lbs, and was not going to replace anything unless it was faulty or uncomfortable.  So far, I've broken my rule but not too bad.  Comfort on the bike remains my top prioirity!

Oh, please post pictures of the new ride when it arrives. :thumb:

Cheers,

J

rahimlee54

« Reply #650 on: 11 Jun 2011, 02:40 pm »
Hey guys,

I recently got the trek entry level bike to ride with my wife causally as she has decided to do a half triathlon.  I am into fitness pretty hardcore so I was looking for some tips on how to make it up hills faster, the downhill is fine  :thumb:.  Also if anyone has a recommended new guy FAQ that would be awesome, I have come across a few but I didn't feel like they were in depth enough.  We are just doing 10 mile rides to start out with, and those are completed in around 25 to 30 minutes.

Thanks
Jared

Levi

« Reply #651 on: 11 Jun 2011, 02:50 pm »
Congrats on her new bike Jared.

The cheapest would be is to upgrade the tires and tubes.  Lightweight/low rolling resistance tires and tubes should help her crest that hill.  You cannot go wrong with a 55g inner tube and a Conti 4000s or Michelin Pro Race 3 tires.

Levi

« Reply #652 on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:34 pm »
You should be fine.

Enjoy your short stay in the City.  It is a dog, eat dog world.  Stay Alert and be smart!

Jeez, we're going to visit Manhattan for the first time (on non-business, that is) in July  :o

Brings new meaning to the "Share The Road" bicycle signs that adorn nearly every road here now.

Tom

viggen

« Reply #653 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:10 am »
Just received the Garmin 800 today.  Here's my first activity log:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93812845

When I uploaded today's activity to Connect, the activity's title is "untitled".  After I changed the title's name, the summary data shows up as "edited" instead of "original".  I have to figure this and many other things out.  This is my second ride in more than two weeks as I am still recovering from a cold.  But, couldn't sit still after I received this puppy.  The rides good though.  Coughed all my phlegm out after 8 miles.

JoshK

« Reply #654 on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:30 am »
My first real road ride this year.  It wasn't super long as the sun was going down but I wanted to get my legs over the bike.  I really dig this stretch of uncrowded road.   Enough climbing to keep you honest but not kill you if you aren't in shape (me).  There is one climb about 3/4rd of the way through that is a bit of a lung buster, leg acher for me.  Doesn't look like much on the elevation chart, but I even seen the gran turno (sic) group struggle up it.  Plus I am missing the low gears on my bike (double, not a compact double). 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93827010

JoshK

« Reply #655 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:08 pm »
P.S. this was the first ride I did with my new Look pedals and SIDI road shoes.  Before I was using my SIDI mtb shoes + xt deore (mtb) pedals.  I love my SIDI shoes, they are comfy.  The road shoes even more so and the platform feels like more support on your foot.  They are very easy to click out of, no worries there, but they are a pain to click into as you have to fight to get them right side up.  Kind of sucks off a traffic light. Guess I need to practice more. 

Levi

« Reply #656 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:23 pm »
I love Sidi's also.  Like all Italian shoes...they are not made for walking.   :thumb:

Remember back in the late 80's?

Since the stack height has between your pedals/shoes has changed you may need to raise your seat a few mm's. 

jackman

« Reply #657 on: 21 Jun 2011, 05:36 pm »
P.S. this was the first ride I did with my new Look pedals and SIDI road shoes.  Before I was using my SIDI mtb shoes + xt deore (mtb) pedals.  I love my SIDI shoes, they are comfy.  The road shoes even more so and the platform feels like more support on your foot.  They are very easy to click out of, no worries there, but they are a pain to click into as you have to fight to get them right side up.  Kind of sucks off a traffic light. Guess I need to practice more.

Josh, I LOVE my SIDI road shoes.  I have the Genius 6.6's and keep looking for a pair of Ergo2's on Ebay.  The Ergo2's are very nice but too expensive at normal SRP because of the dollar.  Some people don't fit in Sidi's properly (they run narrow) but I'm thankful they fit me well.   I also love my Look pedals.  I have a pair of Sprints and they work well for me.  Lots of guys in my group have switched to Speedplay but I like my Looks. 

Cheers,

Jack

JoshK

« Reply #658 on: 21 Jun 2011, 05:41 pm »
I actually have wide feet, but I keep the front straps a bit looser and never had any issue. 

jackman

« Reply #659 on: 21 Jun 2011, 07:39 pm »
I actually have wide feet, but I keep the front straps a bit looser and never had any issue.

They make a MEGA model for people with wider feet.  I haven't seen them in stores but Probikekit.com carries them in all of the styles.  Sidi last a long time but they are harder and harder to find in Chicago area.  All stores discontinued them last year (not all of them but most stores).  I'm going to also try a Bont shoes, they are a New Zealand company that makes speed skates and bike shoes.  They are all carbon fibre and moldable.  I will let you know how they work as soon as I find a size 44 on eBay!

Levi - cool old-school shoes.  I really like those old blue Sidi's.  Lost a couple on Ebay over the years (new old stock).