Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #280 on: 13 Sep 2010, 04:52 pm »
Thanks Jack for the complements.  Not bad for a roadie newb I guess.  LOL!

It is the best weather to ride.  However, choosing the right clothes can be daunting.  In this ride I have chosen a Gore Phantom jacket by itself.  The weather was windy and drizzly with temp below 70deg.  My plan worked!  I only removed the arms and was extremely comfortable throughout the ride.

jackman

« Reply #281 on: 13 Sep 2010, 05:20 pm »
I know what you mean.  This is the toughest time of year to dress for a long ride.  It usually starts off really cold and finished very hot with +30F temp swings.  I have arm and leg warmers and a Gore windbreaker (waterproof).  You have one with removeable arms?  I wish mine had that feature.  It's got zippers on the sides that let in lots of air but the arms are not removeable. 

One thing you may want to try, wool socks.  I was in Performance recently and they were closing out Smartwool (wool) socks.  All I can say is WOW!  After years of using dryfit or various versions of "hi-tech" socks, I am sold on wool.  These socks wick moisture better than any other socks I have tried, breathe well and keep your feet warm and cool.  They are usually very expensive (around $18-20) per pair but they are closing them out at half price and are worth every penny.  My feet have never felt better and my only regret is that I should have bought more than two pairs.  I always thought wool was scratchy and hot but these are silky and my feet always feel comfortable.  Who knew?

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #282 on: 13 Sep 2010, 05:53 pm »
Thanks. I wear wool socks only in winter.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #283 on: 14 Sep 2010, 03:33 am »
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48763284

Levi....
You rode right past the area I work in, Howard Beach, Ozone Park, and Richmond Hill.... :lol:

Levi

« Reply #284 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:23 am »
That's correct.  It is more like the tour of Tri-borough.  LOL!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #285 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:47 am »
Someone stole my bike.

I think it's one of you guys.  It looks like one in the pictures.

Give it back.

Bullies.

Levi

« Reply #286 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:15 am »
I found your bike.  It will be returned to you shortly.  :P :P :P

jackman

« Reply #287 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:51 pm »
The new Garmin is coming soon.  I love my Edge500 but the new 800 looks cooler.  I might have to get one...anyone looking for a good deal on a 500? 

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=X0139

Also, I went for a pro fitting last weekend.  Since the fitting, I've only gone on a couple short rides but feel strong and, more importantly, have no knee pain.  The guy who did the fitting, Demian March, was a true professional and took his time to make sure everything was perfect.  The price was very inexpensive and I highly recommend these guys if you are in the Chicago are looking for a fitting or a deal on a bike.  The website only shows low end models but he's a Ridley dealer and a Specialized dealer.  Here is the website:
http://lakeshorebike.com/

Cheers,

Jack

Levi

« Reply #288 on: 22 Sep 2010, 07:20 pm »
Hi Jack, I maybe interested on your old 500.  It all depends. ;)

Btw, I am doing another century event this Sunday!

jackman

« Reply #289 on: 22 Sep 2010, 08:00 pm »
Hi Jack, I maybe interested on your old 500.  It all depends. ;)

Btw, I am doing another century event this Sunday!

Congrats, my man.  I did two centuries in August but September has been difficult because of injuries.  I think the new fit corrected the major problem but will not know for sure until I get on the road for some long rides this weekend.  Keep us posted on the results of your ride!

Also, I'll let you know about the 500.  Several gear-hounds in my group have 500's and I suspect they will be moving up to the blingier 800 and sellinng their 500's for low prices.  I love the 500 but there have been times I would have liked GPS navigation functionality.  My model is the rare graphite and black model from England, not the team blue colored one.  So far, it's the only one of its kind I have seen.  Cool :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #290 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:01 am »
The Tour of the Hamptons was a great ride. Likewise riding with Mike, his friend Don and Brands Cycle guys. I took an extra scenic ride around sag harbor (by accident) and ended up with 116 miles. LOL!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50690216

Limited pictures that I took of the Tour.

Brands train...

Your one and only.   :D

Lighthouse

PhilNYC

« Reply #291 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:31 am »
Levi, you are turning into a road monster!

I did the Rocket Ride today...got dropped on a late hill, but ended up with 59.44miles and an average speed of 18.9mph...

jackman

« Reply #292 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:49 am »
Great pictures!  Also, beautiful Cervelo.

Phil, nearly 19mph on a 60 mile ride.  Wow!   You are a fast rider. Congrats.

I'm nursing a knee but hope to get back on the bike next week.

Cheers

J

Levi

« Reply #293 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:41 am »
Thanks guys.

LadyDog

« Reply #294 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:58 am »
Jack,
Thought the knee was getting better?

Levi,
Great pics. 

Phil,
Nice pace!

PhilNYC

« Reply #295 on: 27 Sep 2010, 02:08 am »

Phil, nearly 19mph on a 60 mile ride.  Wow!   You are a fast rider. Congrats.

Remember that the Rocket Ride has a really huge peloton (today there were at least 50 riders)...of that 60 miles, about 35 of it was in a major draft pull...!

jmc207

« Reply #296 on: 27 Sep 2010, 03:15 am »
I think I need to start paying attention to this thread.  :)  Just got back from Little Rock, AR where I rode in the Big Dam Bridge 100, a very well run ride with around 2300+ participants. This was my first organized ride in 15 years, and I brought out of storage my old 1986 Trek 1200 road bike for the event. I rode with two friends who are new to biking and they both really enjoyed the experience and are ready to try more rides like this. Ride info at: http://thebigdambridge100.com/. Here's a picture from near the back of the line at the start.

jackman

« Reply #297 on: 27 Sep 2010, 04:08 am »
Hi Jeff,
I thought the knee was getting better after the fitting.  It felt great on the 20 mile "test" ride, but I went for a 40+ ride with the fast group yesterday and bad things happened after 30 miles.  Unfortunately, it was as much pain as I have ever felt in my knee and I seriously thought about calling home and asking my wife to pick me up.  Maybe it was pride that stopped me but it was probably the fact that I didn't bring a phone and my wife was not home anyway...either way, I limped home and iced the knee.

I'm going to rest it for the week and hope things improve in time for next weekend's rides.  The weather is perfect for long-distance cycling.  Have you been out riding?

Levi

« Reply #298 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:06 pm »
SOLD.  :thumb:

I am not sure if this is the best place for this, Mod (pjchappy) please move it if there is a better place for it. ;)

I am selling my complete Shimano Ultegra 6700 Group set.  It is fairly new with less than 100 miles.  I have been using my Dura Ace 7900 with all my Century rides.  :thumb:  This is the latest Ultegra Complete Groupset second best to Dura Ace 7900 with hidden cables running from the back of the shifters.  It has similar shifting performance like the Dura Ace 7900 for a fraction of the cost.

Shimano Ultegra 6700 STI Shift Levers SH-ST6700
Shimano Ultegra 6700 Cassette 12-25T
Shimano Ultegra 6700 Road Bike Brakeset
Shimano Ultegra 6700 Road Bike Crankset (53x39, 170mm w/ Bottom Bracket)
Shimano Ultegra 6700 Rear Derailleur (SS)
Shimano Ultegra 6700 Braze On Front
Shimano Ultegra 10-speed chain and cables etc included but maybe too short for your frame.

Picture is similar to one below.

This is a complete 10 Speed setup for road rage valued over $1000!  Go figure, Shifters alone costs $350!

Price is $450 AS IS, cash + shipping.

Thanks for looking.

--Levi

p.s. low ballers will be cordially ignored  ;D ;D ;D

SOLD.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2010, 02:47 pm by Levi »

SET Man

« Reply #299 on: 28 Sep 2010, 10:20 pm »
Levi, you are turning into a road monster!

Hey!

No kidding!!!! :lol:

BTW... pretty good deal on the Ultegra set there. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: