Bicycling On-the-Road

tdangelo

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1200 on: 23 Jun 2013, 05:24 pm »
I got a nice 45 mile ride in yesterday - pic of the St. Johns river in Fruit Cove, FL - 22.5 miles on the ride back was against the wind.. I hate wind!!  :nono:

a.wayne

« Reply #1201 on: 23 Jun 2013, 06:51 pm »
Ha ha , Yes the wind , no hills but fl got that constant in your face wind , tuck in and spin and less be safe out there ...

BTW Lovely bike .....:)

tdangelo

« Reply #1202 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:49 pm »
Ha ha , Yes the wind , no hills but fl got that constant in your face wind , tuck in and spin and less be safe out there ...

BTW Lovely bike .....:)
thanks ;)

Yes, lots of tuck but I would trade hills for wind any day. It seems that everytime I have a tail wind when I turn around to go back the wind direction has changed ;(

Bemopti123

« Reply #1203 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:58 pm »
Levi, Jackman, AC riders,

I don't want to side track this thread, but I need your opinions.

Have I screwed up? 
I just bought a new Felt Nine 60 mountain bike ($850 usd) with good intentions. I actually thought after a 30 year hiatus from biking that I could still do it again. Dam, WTF, this is frig’in hard, oh shit there’s a hill, what was I thinking  :banghead:.

I’m now converting my new MTN bike into a “local black top trail bike” with new Schwanbe Big Apple slick tires ($100.00) to ride on local black top trails until I get my ass in shape. The problem is, now I’m thinking I made a $1000.00 mistake because I should have looked more closely at Hi-brid bikes.

I did test ride 8 different bikes, Two of them being Hi-brids. To me, because I’m  5’5”/230LBS, the Mtn bikes just felt better and I liked looking down at that big fat tire and I liked the feel of the wide handle bars (again I'm a newbe). Bicycle weight at that time was not a concern, but now I understand.

Have I made a $1000.00 mistake buying a MTN bike/putting on slicks/for black top trail riding?
Would a Hi-brid bike have been a better choice even for someone my size?

I hate being GREEN  :oops: Did I screw up  :?: :slap:

My new Felt Nine 60 with Schwanbe street slick tires. The saddle is low cause I'm so frig'in short.

I love being out here all alone. It's frig'in awesome.

I do not think you made a mistake.  The first few rides can be brutal especially if you are out of shape and it would have made nary of a difference if you get a road bicycle.  The key is to never give up.  Hey, I am also short but thanks be to the rides to work since this past Fall, I have lost quite a bit of weight and I can eat anything I want and still be trim and fit.  5'6" around 139-140 lbs. 

Paul  :thumb:

a.wayne

« Reply #1204 on: 24 Jun 2013, 03:25 pm »
Been out of cycling now for some 12 yrs and at 6 1"  and 230 lbs I'm way above my past racing  Weight of 184

Before jumping back on the bike i did 3 months of gym training on a stationary bike , IMO an absolute necessity before jumping back on a bike ....

Regards

jackman

« Reply #1205 on: 24 Jun 2013, 04:00 pm »
Wirenut,

Your bike looks cool.  If you are comfortable on the bike and it fits you well, I don't think you made a mistake.   The decision regarding thich bike is right for you depends on your goals and the type of riding you plan to do.  If you are just looking for something to ride country roads and some off road riding, the 29" should be fine.  The only drawbacks that I can see with this type of bike (compared to a road bike or a xcross bike) are weight and upright riding position (this could be a plus on down-hill or off road rides). 

If you plan to log lots of hours in the saddle on paved roads, and you are concerned about handling and speed, a standard road bike would probably be your best choice.  If you don't care about how quickly you finish and don't ride with a group of fast riders on road bikes, the bike you chose is fine.  Putting road tires can get you a little more speed on paved roads but it's still a compromise compared to a road bike.  Please keep in mind, I know a guy who rides a Surley Pugsley on technical, hilly, century rides and he's very happy.  He can't keep up on hills with fast riders but he gets there eventually and he is a demon on downhill rides.

Down the road, if you hook up with a group of fast riders on road bikes, you may want to get a road specific bike.  I enjoy the flexibility of drop bars when riding long hours on the road.  They give you lots of hand positions and make it easier to get low to conteract a headwind.  If you don't plan to ride long hours and want a good all-purpose bike, the one you chose appears to be a good choice. 

You live in an area where there are lots of good roads.  If you are riding alone, make sure you wear bright colors and have a flashing light on your bike.  The advantage of riding with a group is safety; it's easier for a car driver to see a group versus a single rider.  Also, if you do have an accident, there are people to call for help.  A solo rider is more difficult to spot and if you get hit, the car may not stop.  Make sure you tell someone at home your route so they can look for you in the event of an accident.  Not to sound morbid but it's better to play it safe.  Accidents with cars are too common. 

Also, make sure you have a clean bill of health from your doctor before going out and hitting those big hills.  A guy had a heart attack at last week's hilly century ride (I did not attend but my group did) and I'm not sure if he pulled through. 

jackman

« Reply #1206 on: 2 Jul 2013, 06:03 pm »
I got a nice 45 mile ride in yesterday - pic of the St. Johns river in Fruit Cove, FL - 22.5 miles on the ride back was against the wind.. I hate wind!!  :nono:

Yes but you have he right bike for wind!  I ride in the Midwest and the wind is brutal at times.  Hills are my number one enemy but luckily we don't have any around here.  Whenever I ride hills I have a greater appreciation for my friends in Colorado and California. 

Keep riding! 

Jack

Levi

« Reply #1207 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:16 pm »
Glad everyone is riding and having fun in the sun.

Finally, the blog site is up and running! 

http://brandscycle.wordpress.com

--Levi

jackman

« Reply #1208 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:36 pm »
Levi - nice work!  I look forward to following your blog!

Levi

« Reply #1209 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:41 pm »
Thanks Jack!

LadyDog

« Reply #1210 on: 9 Jul 2013, 02:27 am »
Very cool Levi.  Looking forward to following.

TD, living in Jackonsville for a few years I understand the wind issues.  Can remember the bridge being shut down for wind.

Myself, getting a few miles in.  Not as many as I'd like, but getting on the road.  No new toys of late either.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1211 on: 9 Jul 2013, 01:59 pm »
Finally getting some time in the saddle after focusing on triathlons. 

Over the past 6 days I have logged 90 miles, including a nice 33 mile ride on Saturday (at a leisurely 15 MPH pace with a good amount of hills -was just under 2000 ft of elevation gain).  I really enjoy riding even though the weather sucked (it was in the 90's with high humidity). 

My goals for the next 6 weeks:

1.  Ride 4-5 times a week - With one ride dedicated to hill work and one dedicated to distance
2.  Increase my weekly totals to the 100-120 mile range
3.  Complete my first half century

BTW, bought my wife a new bike and we did our first ride together on Sunday.  We are going to try and ride 1 or 2 times per week together.   :thumb:

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1212 on: 9 Jul 2013, 02:34 pm »
Glad everyone is riding and having fun in the sun.

Finally, the blog site is up and running! 

http://brandscycle.wordpress.com

--Levi

Levi,

Looks good.

What are some of the future topics you are thinking of covering?

George

Levi

« Reply #1213 on: 9 Jul 2013, 08:40 pm »
Levi,

Looks good.

What are some of the future topics you are thinking of covering?

George

Thanks.

So far they have not sent me anything to write about.  Do you have anything in mind? 

LadyDog

« Reply #1214 on: 29 Jul 2013, 10:04 pm »
Not much activity here lately.  Guess everyone is out getting the miles in. 

Picked up a few toys to swap out sometime.

Levi

« Reply #1215 on: 29 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm »
Nice bling you got there!  Looks lightweight. ;-)

LadyDog

« Reply #1216 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:45 am »
Thanks Levi.  The TRP's are not the lightest, but a good compromise of power, modulation, and cost.  The Arione is not the lightest either, but a fan of their saddles.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2013, 10:03 pm by LadyDog »

Levi

« Reply #1217 on: 30 Jul 2013, 12:57 pm »
Thanks Levi.  The TRP's are not the supreme lightest, but a gold compromise of power, modulation, and cost.  The Arione is notthe lightest either, but a fan of their saddles.

What brakes are you using before?  I recently upgraded my brakes to Shimano BR-9000 from SRAM Red (2013).  Shimano's dual-pivot design surely put down some leverage plus it matches my Di2 levers.  I gained 10-20% more power.  It has excellent modulation and control with just one finger from the hoods.  However, it is 40grams heavier than my SRAM brakes.  All in all with slightly heavier brakes, seatpost, stem, Di2 battery, and tires etc., my bike is no longer superlight.  It is now in the 14 lb. club.   :-)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1218 on: 30 Jul 2013, 01:21 pm »
What brakes are you using before?  I recently upgraded my brakes to Shimano BR-9000 from SRAM Red (2013).  Shimano's dual-pivot design surely put down some leverage plus it matches my Di2 levers.  I gained 10-20% more power.  It has excellent modulation and control with just one finger from the hoods.  However, it is 40grams heavier than my SRAM brakes.  All in all with slightly heavier brakes, seatpost, stem, Di2 battery, and tires etc., my bike is no longer superlight.  It is now in the 14 lb. club.   :-)

From my perspective, 14 lbs is still pretty darn light!

Given that I want to lose 15 more pounds off me, I am not too worried about grams and gear.   :lol:

George

Levi

« Reply #1219 on: 30 Jul 2013, 01:23 pm »
Just ride!