Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1140 on: 9 May 2013, 05:46 pm »
To each his own.  Your body knows better.  What works for me, may or may not work for you. 

I am sure your friend is using Di2?

jackman

« Reply #1141 on: 9 May 2013, 06:23 pm »
To each his own.  Your body knows better.  What works for me, may or may not work for you. 

I am sure your friend is using Di2?

Not being critical, he's a food scientist and the affects and efficacy of the materials in these products are well documented.  Most supplements of this nature are hype with a dash of science thrown in for marketing purposes. 

He just had a baby and is a food scientist.  Those guys don't make enough money to buy super expensive gear but he's a big fan of di2.   His main ride is a Ridley Noah with SRAM Red groupe. It's an aero bike but is not lightweight.  He uses a solid rear zipp wheel during time trial competition.  He's saving for the Specialized time trial bike but I can't recall the model name.

These guys at the Gatorade R&D center are very hardcore.  They measure everything (including sweat dissipation, etc) and do extensive testing.  I've got some nutritional articles I will dig up and post if its of interest. 

Cheers

Jack

Levi

« Reply #1142 on: 9 May 2013, 07:15 pm »
Most scientists simply knows it all. Like audio engineers. Nothing else is better other than what they think is good.  Sounds familiar?  A real athlete knows what works for them may or may not work for others.  Simply put, they dont impose their nutrition or training secrets.  Let alone judge others products they have not tried.  Everyone's metabolism is different.

It is a fallacy when someone judged A product by just reading the ingredients.  I simply say to try it first then come back and let your body be the judge. ;-).  Not your wallet. LOL! :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #1143 on: 9 May 2013, 07:31 pm »
Most scientists simply knows it all. Like audio engineers. Nothing else is better other than what they think is good.  Sounds familiar?  A real athlete knows what works for them may or may not work for others.  Simply put, they dont impose their nutrition or training secrets.  Let alone judge others products they have not tried.  Everyone's metabolism is different.

It is a fallacy when someone judged A product by just reading the ingredients.  I simply say to try it first then come back and let your body be the judge. ;-).  Not your wallet. LOL! :thumb:

Hi Levi,
I think I gave the wrong impression.  My friend said he was not familiar with the product but was wary of the ingredient statement since it did not follow FDA guidelines.  Most legitimate companies have to follow FDA rules.  Some things are conjecture but there is some pretty solid science behind some nutritional products and lots of snake oil.  I did not look too deeply into it but I'm leery when a product doesn't follow standard established rules.

No doubt, there is lots of pseudoscience in the sports nutrition arena.  More false claims than other shadey industries, including audio (maybe).  If it works for you, maybe there is some efficacy in the product but a large % of the stuff out there is shady and laced with false claims or exaggeration. 

Lastly, if you can't judge a nutritional product by its ingredients, we are in trouble.  I'd hate to be a guinnea pig for companies who do not back their stuff up with solid research.  Just because something costs a lot of money, doesn't mean it has any real science behind it.   :nono:

Levi

« Reply #1144 on: 9 May 2013, 08:06 pm »
I see your point(s) Jack. 

It is easy for me to try new items because they send me free samples and have "sponsors".   So I simply try them and see if I like them.  Like an audition.  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #1145 on: 9 May 2013, 08:34 pm »
I see your point(s) Jack. 

It is easy for me to try new items because they send me free samples and have "sponsors".   So I simply try them and see if I like them.  Like an audition.  :thumb:

I just sent you a PM.  You are an experienced cyclist and a guy a genuinely respect.  I enjoy your posts and appreciate how you keep this thread current and lively.  Someday I hope to have a bike that is half as nice as yours!  Even then, it will be too nice for my skill level!

Cheers,

Jack

PS - Sorry for sounding like a closed minded know it all in my previous posts!  It was not intentional and I have a lot to learn about cycling and nutrition. 

Levi

« Reply #1146 on: 9 May 2013, 10:41 pm »
No problem Jack.  Ha ha ha...just ride!

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #1147 on: 12 May 2013, 03:11 pm »

Yes, a little of topic, but I ride this bike on the road sometimes.
My other bike is a Bianchi, Fuji, Schwinn, etc.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1148 on: 13 May 2013, 05:34 am »
"PREMIUM RUSH"..... :thumb:

After watching this DVD last night, I thought about this thread.....

Here's the trailer...

Levi

« Reply #1149 on: 15 May 2013, 12:54 pm »
I haven't seen the movie Chris but sure looks fun.  In real life, that is just not practical.  Ha ha ha. 

Bicycles does not have an edge when hit by a car or squeezed by a truck.  Period.  That's just my take on urban reckless bike riding.

How about some really nice and comfortable shoes?  By far this is the best Sidi shoes I have owned!

LadyDog

« Reply #1150 on: 15 May 2013, 05:23 pm »
Nice shoes Levi.  Big fan of the dial laced shoes.  S-Works user my self.

Levi

« Reply #1151 on: 15 May 2013, 06:09 pm »
Thanks Jeff. I love the S-Works but had to get the Sidi for the speedplay soles.

jackman

« Reply #1152 on: 15 May 2013, 07:00 pm »
I need a pair of these!  Where did you get them? 

LadyDog

« Reply #1153 on: 15 May 2013, 07:54 pm »
Get your credit card out Jack.  Sidi is typically not inexpensive. 

That said, they are extremely well made and some of the longest lasting shoes on the market.

Levi

« Reply #1154 on: 15 May 2013, 07:58 pm »
I got them at BrandsCycle.com

mcgsxr

« Reply #1155 on: 15 May 2013, 08:12 pm »
Love the dial in lace shoes - remind me of my Footjoy golf shoes that use their Boa technology, a similar approach. 

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #1156 on: 15 May 2013, 08:59 pm »
are those the new DRAKO LEVI?
I had the dominators for years then upgraded to the dragons at which point I concluded very stiff souls are hard on my toes and ankles.  The things we sacrifice for light weight spinning efficiency

Levi

« Reply #1157 on: 16 May 2013, 01:15 am »
Those are the road version of the dragon. Sidi Wire speedplay.

Like any Italian loafers...they are not for everybody.  The first thing I did was replaced the inserts with something that has more arch support.  The specialized BG fit soles are my favorite.

jackman

« Reply #1158 on: 16 May 2013, 03:42 pm »
Get your credit card out Jack.  Sidi is typically not inexpensive. 

That said, they are extremely well made and some of the longest lasting shoes on the market.

Hi Jeff,
I have a pair of Sidi Genius 5.5's that are a couple years old.  Love them, but was looking for a deal on Ergo 3's and the shoes Levi just got.  I'm a black shoe guy and need to find a pair of 44's!   My current Sidi shoes are like new and I'm not sure why I need an additional pair, other than the fact that I really like the idea of a python style (isn't that what Specialized calls it?) system. 

Has anyone tried Bont shoes?  They are the CF ones from New Zealand company that you can mold and re-mold to your feet?  They are like CF slippers made by a company that makes speed skates.  Almost bought a pair but I'm not sure how their sizes run.

LadyDog

« Reply #1159 on: 17 May 2013, 02:55 pm »
Itching, should I pull the trigger?

Anyone want a Meivici?  Anyone need new wheels?   :D