Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1040 on: 25 Aug 2012, 11:05 pm »
Nice bike Jeff. 

The R5 vwd frame made the bike ultra-lightweight. I simply transferred all my components from my old R3 frame.  That is why I said I hit 13 lbs. without even trying.  Saving a huge 1-2 lbs., the feeling was not subtle.  The frame is even more responsive to rider input and plush.  Believe it or not it made me even faster with the same effort.  (judging on my butt-dyno and Garmin data)

The question is...will you be able to ride my S-Works Toupe for many hours.  ha ha ha ha.

13 lbs? Wow... only lighter riders can get away with this sort of thing.  I think even myself might be too heavy for such bike....hehehehe, not to say I am necessarily heavy at 148 lbs.  hehehehe. 

I agree with Jackman, Levi's ride is a total tour de force in terms of carbon almost everything. 

His ride make my bicycles look like doo-dats.

Paul  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #1041 on: 25 Aug 2012, 11:15 pm »
It is probably easier to find a black stem. It will match the fork and the Seatpost

mcgsxr

« Reply #1042 on: 25 Aug 2012, 11:46 pm »
I like the mix of black and alu.  It kind of makes an X.  The black post crosses with the black forks, and the alu crank crosses with the alu stem.

LadyDog

« Reply #1043 on: 26 Aug 2012, 01:27 am »
Thanks Levi.  While not the carbon railed version, I have found the Toupe pretty comfortable so far.

I have an Arione in carbon railed which fits my rear well too.

Levi

« Reply #1044 on: 26 Aug 2012, 02:34 am »
I love my S-Works Toupe!  I have over 200+ miles on it since August of this year.

Thanks Levi.  While not the carbon railed version, I have found the Toupe pretty comfortable so far.

I have an Arione in carbon railed which fits my rear well too.

Bemopti123

« Reply #1045 on: 26 Aug 2012, 04:28 am »
I love my S-Works Toupe!  I have over 200+ miles on it since August of this year.

While seats are as individual as the type of beer we like to drink.....I am not impressed with the stock Specialized seat that came with my Specialized Allez Apex Comp.  It is fine for what it is but I do not feel it is worth writing home about.

Nevertheless, why do I find my vintage Selle Flite TI so comfy that I decided to get another Selle Flite + carbon + Ti for my Stigmata.  I am in love with the way they feel under my heine!  hahahaha. :thumb:

PS:  We sick man who are into mechanical+electrical toys....there must be a Dr. Frankenstein gene lose somewhere.  Just can't get enough of the amount of toys we hoard.  Because, for me, 4-5 bikes, if that is not hoarding, I do not know how to define it!  hahahaha. :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1046 on: 26 Aug 2012, 11:30 am »
Did a 20 mile ride yesterday with a good amount of hills.  Average speed was 17.64 MPH.

I know that's a lot slower than most of you, but that wasn't too bad for me.  Especially since I was working on only 3-4 hrs sleep and didn't fuel up as well as I should.

I am fully rested for today's ride and will make sure that I eat well before and during the ride.

George

JoshK

« Reply #1047 on: 26 Aug 2012, 02:47 pm »
George, you and I could ride together.   That is about my pace.   

I still haven't taken my road bike out once since I moved up to Toronto.   I just don't wish to give up a day on the trails. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1048 on: 26 Aug 2012, 03:20 pm »
George, you and I could ride together.   That is about my pace.   

I still haven't taken my road bike out once since I moved up to Toronto.   I just don't wish to give up a day on the trails.

Depending on length of the ride, terrain, and how I feel, my average MPH is usually in the 16-22 MPH range.

Glad you are enjoying the trails Josh.  While it looks cool, it is definitely not for me.

George

jackman

« Reply #1049 on: 26 Aug 2012, 05:52 pm »
Ride with two fast guys today and was reminded if how far I have to go to hang with the big boys.  I'm good on flats bit hills and headwinds killed me.  My power output is actually pretty good but a 212 lb guy has to work so much harder than 150 lb guy.  I'm just under 5'10" and need to be 175 lbs or less or find another group. 

My training needs to include diet!  Started Friday and so far so good!  I may start another thread to track diet for anyone interested in joining me.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1050 on: 26 Aug 2012, 06:32 pm »
Ride with two fast guys today and was reminded if how far I have to go to hang with the big boys.  I'm good on flats bit hills and headwinds killed me.  My power output is actually pretty good but a 212 lb guy has to work so much harder than 150 lb guy.  I'm just under 5'10" and need to be 175 lbs or less or find another group. 

My training needs to include diet!  Started Friday and so far so good!  I may start another thread to track diet for anyone interested in joining me.

Jack,

I would be interested in joining you.

Since I started riding a few months ago I have dropped 18 lbs and I am getting closer and closer to my end of October goal of being under 200lbs (I started out at 236lbs).

George

jackman

« Reply #1051 on: 26 Aug 2012, 06:56 pm »
George, congrats!   That is an impressive accomplishment!   I'll start a thread if someone else doesn't best me to it. We should also include weekly mileage.

I really busted my tail today because I feel physically ill.  Don't think I could have pushed myself harder for 2.5 hours.  Was going to do weight training today but I'll do it tomorrow!

Levi

« Reply #1052 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:55 am »
Cycling sure is a fun way of getting rid of a few pounds. 

Levi

« Reply #1053 on: 20 Sep 2012, 01:20 pm »
2012 Cervelo R5 VWD or WMD (weapon of mass destruction)!  Ha ha ha.  Keep riding boys and gals.

Taken on my way home @Pier 17, NYC.

jackman

« Reply #1054 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:54 pm »
Sweet ride!!!!  Looks like a stealth fighter. Black and sinister.   

I recent changed cleats on my Sidi's and noticed something interesting.  My left cleat was completely worn out, it would barely engage but the right one was brand new. Hardly any wear on the right one.  I'm pedaling with one leg !   I guess I need to focus on my right leg pedaling.  Will also speak with my fitter to see wha he has to say.  Have you guys experienced something similar? 

Levi

« Reply #1055 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:06 pm »
Good find on the cleats Jack!  Definitely, I would consult your fitter about the cleats wearing out unevenly. 

AB

« Reply #1056 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:24 pm »
Sweet ride!!!!  Looks like a stealth fighter. Black and sinister.   

I recent changed cleats on my Sidi's and noticed something interesting.  My left cleat was completely worn out, it would barely engage but the right one was brand new. Hardly any wear on the right one.  I'm pedaling with one leg !   I guess I need to focus on my right leg pedaling.  Will also speak with my fitter to see wha he has to say.  Have you guys experienced something similar?

Most of the wear on my road cleats has come from engaging and disengaging when coming to a stop - stop lights and whatnot. I unclip my right foot so its cleat gets the most wear. Are you unclipping with your left foot at stops?
I did just replace my Keo pedals because they were worn badly. They lacked the metal plate the newest versions have and the carbon wore away beneath the cleat. I now have a pair of the Blades and they are great. Fragile but great.

Don_S

« Reply #1057 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:20 pm »
Its not just clipping and unclipping.  Don't forget contact with asphalt/concrete and possible slight scraping if you do a modified "Flintstone" stop. e.g. in a quick stop I have seen riders put a foot down before coming to a complete stop.

Most of the wear on my road cleats has come from engaging and disengaging when coming to a stop - stop lights and whatnot. I unclip my right foot so its cleat gets the most wear. Are you unclipping with your left foot at stops?
I did just replace my Keo pedals because they were worn badly. They lacked the metal plate the newest versions have and the carbon wore away beneath the cleat. I now have a pair of the Blades and they are great. Fragile but great.

jackman

« Reply #1058 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:56 pm »
I don't recall if I use one foot more than the other.  I believe I use my left a bit more (the worn out cleat) but I use my right as well.  Hmmmm.    :scratch:

I'll post a picture later but the cleat on the left side is completely worn out, I'm talking jagged edges at the toe, etc.  The right has lots of life left in it and I'm keeping it as a spare.  There are wear markers on my Look cleats and the left ones are shot.  Will have to pay attention next time to see if I disengage the left more.  I've had three knee surgeries on my right leg and perhaps I'm favoring it, subconsciously.  This seems unlikely because I always try to pedal circles and push hard on both legs.  Thanks for the advice and comments. 

LadyDog

« Reply #1059 on: 23 Sep 2012, 02:27 am »
Duly noted being out of shape, but main was it tough sleding today.  20-25 mph head winds, with gusts in the 30's.