Bicycling On-the-Road

jackman

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #960 on: 9 Jul 2012, 11:20 pm »
Raymond, you are doing the right thing. I've known more than  a few guys who made some expensive bad decisions before they got to where you are now.  Spend time making the right decision regarding builder and getting fit.  I'm confident you will wind up with a bike you will enjoy riding.

Don,
I agree regarding the first Madone bikes. They were ultra stiff and uncomfortable. That bike was designed for Lance Armstrong and was supposed to be an uncompromising race machine. I understand Trek was surprised so many people bought those first Madone bikes. 

Modern CF bikes are much different.  There are still some uncomfortable race bikes but modern cf builders are able to combine stiffness with comfort and great handling in a lightweight carbon fiber frame.   Even today's race bikes are designed with some degree of comfort in mind.  I think bike companies gave some thought to who was actually buying the bikes!  Most guys who ride pro frames are not pros or even armature racers.  They are just guys with the disposable income to buy an expensive bike.

Cheers

J

JoshK

« Reply #961 on: 10 Jul 2012, 12:14 am »
I don't want to be the guy with more money than lung/legs.   I keep to modest bikes and learn to get my fitness up.  Some day I'll do the Lynskey's when I deserve them.

Levi

« Reply #962 on: 10 Jul 2012, 04:50 am »
If you want to get your fitness up, join your local bike club.  Otherwise, Just keep riding.  When you ride for fitness, just make sure you set your goals and training zones. 

I don't want to be the guy with more money than lung/legs.   I keep to modest bikes and learn to get my fitness up.  Some day I'll do the Lynskey's when I deserve them.

Docere

« Reply #963 on: 10 Jul 2012, 05:50 am »
Hi Guys,

Jackman, I will certainly take my time and my fit and fitness are now a priority. Thanks.

All, I don’t want to be the guy that can't ride in 20 years’ time.

I went for my injury assessment and fit today. I am now of the opinion that a professional fit, physio and training are a worthwhile investment for most cyclists, especially if you are managing an injury.

My results were surprising. The technique I have been trying to correct was actually OK, except for the 56% left, 44% right power balance; my injured knee is the left. Also, what I thought was a decent technique correction was "the weirdest stroke" he has seen.  My fit was not horrid, but has been tweaked and I need to purchase a different stem to give me a little more reach and slightly more upright riding position. A few indoor training sessions to address and reassess left-right power inequity might also be helpful.

The more serious surprise came with the injury assessment. I seem to have been compensating for my prolapsed disc and associated sciatic nerve issues by (dis)engaging certain muscle groups on the  left side. Also, I can’t maintain hip stability when squatting on one leg, either side. Thankfully no muscle atrophy, just weakness. So, remedial work will be the main focus for the next few months… and possibly forever. Initially physio, then ongoing Pilates.

As an aside, he also thought I was nuts living where I do and riding single speed. I might benefit from an indoor trainer to get some base fitness back. It is time to start taking care of my body.

Cheers,
Raymond
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012, 10:00 am by Docere »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #964 on: 10 Jul 2012, 01:27 pm »
Hi Guys,

Jackman, I will certainly take my time and my fit and fitness are now a priority. Thanks.

All, I don’t want to be the guy that can't ride in 20 years’ time.

I went for my injury assessment and fit today. I am now of the opinion that a professional fit, physio and training are a worthwhile investment for most cyclists, especially if you are managing an injury.

My results were surprising. The technique I have been trying to correct was actually OK, except for the 56% left, 44% right power balance; my injured knee is the left. Also, what I thought was a decent technique correction was "the weirdest stroke" he has seen.  My fit was not horrid, but has been tweaked and I need to purchase a different stem to give me a little more reach and slightly more upright riding position. A few indoor training sessions to address and reassess left-right power inequity might also be helpful.

The more serious surprise came with the injury assessment. I seem to have been compensating for my prolapsed disc and associated sciatic nerve issues by (dis)engaging certain muscle groups on the  left side. Also, I can’t maintain hip stability when squatting on one leg, either side. Thankfully no muscle atrophy, just weakness. So, remedial work will be the main focus for the next few months… and possibly forever. Initially physio, then ongoing Pilates.

As an aside, he also thought I was nuts living where I do and riding single speed. I might benefit from an indoor trainer to get some base fitness back. It is time to start taking care of my body.

Cheers,
Raymond

Great post Raymond.

I am waiting for my back to heal up enough so I can have fitting.   

Besides this current back challenges, I have bad knees (3 reconstructions on the left knee and one reconstruction on the right knee) that I am sure impact how I ride. 

All that being said, I am anxious to get back to biking.  In my first month riding, I have lost 11 pounds and I am exercising on a regular basis (4-5 times per week) again.

George

kenreau

« Reply #965 on: 10 Jul 2012, 03:36 pm »

Cheers,
Raymond

Hey Raymond,

I may be suffering from the same weak left side vs right side strength imbalance.  I recently had a bike ergonomic fitting and my left knee moves horizontally a couple of inches during the stroke cycle while my right knee goes straight up and down like a piston.  I've suspected a muscle strength imbalance from skiing and most recently starting golf lessons.  The golfing has really caused lower back pain and I had to stop for a couple of weeks.  I just started physical therapy 2 weeks ago and hope that brings about some correction and long term sustainability.

Can you share what PT or exercises you are working on?

Thanks
Kenreau

Docere

« Reply #966 on: 10 Jul 2012, 08:09 pm »
Hi Zybar and Kenreau,

I am glad you might have gotten something from my posts. I am getting ready for work this very minute, but will post some more this evening. If people find it helpful or interesting, I’d be happy to share about my training and progress as I continue down this path. Keep at it guys and take care.

I know what you mean by wanting to get back in cycling; I have been frustrated with only being able to ride every few weeks. Not sure how I’d feel if I could not ride at all. Knee reconstructions – ouch! And back! My guess is the fit will very much help you. I’d also recommend a quick assessment of technique, though this might be done as part of the fit.

Regarding the horizontal knee movement, mine is doing the same, but it is not pronounced. Due to compensation for my back issues, I sit slightly twisted on the bike, with my left knee closer to the top tube than my right. I also put ~ 25% more power through this leg. I can’t get a feel for the correct toe-in / cleat position (I want to vary it frequently) and I have the lateral movement.

Have a great evening. I will post some more after work.

Cheers,
Raymond

Levi

« Reply #967 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:16 am »
I cannot afford a Storck.  I bought a Cervel R5 vwd (vroomen.white.design) instead.  Can't wait get her back from my LBS. 

Light enough?

LadyDog

« Reply #968 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:34 am »
Sweet Levi.  Can't wait to see it built up.

Levi

« Reply #969 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:58 am »
Thanks!

Levi

« Reply #970 on: 2 Aug 2012, 04:08 am »
One more bling to close the night.  :)

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #971 on: 2 Aug 2012, 10:06 am »
It'll be pretty hard to use those cranks without chain rings.... :green:

Levi

« Reply #972 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:39 pm »
I am still thinking if I should get the Q-rings or the regular round. 

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #973 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:00 pm »
I mentioned Strava (strava.com) in an earlier post.  The more I use it, the more I like it.  It provides a simple way to track your riding progress, and to compare your performance against others.  The basic version is free, and the subscription version allows for inclusion of HR and power data from a Garmin unit.

If you decide to register, you can check out my rides by using the athlete search for "Bob Siegel".  It's humbling to see how far I need to go to run with the best.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #974 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:11 pm »
Very nice Levi.

Where do you buy all your goodies?

George

Levi

« Reply #975 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:50 pm »
Thanks George.

I buy my bling lately from a few bike shops here in Long Island.  I get very good pricing from them.  To new a few; Peak Mtnbk, Bike Junkie and Brands Cycles,  e.g. 20% off retail.  Most of the times, they match the cheapest internet prices you can find and no shipping.  I also buy from JBmountain bikes, wiggle and probikit.   

--Levi   

Very nice Levi.

Where do you buy all your goodies?

George

wes_in_va

« Reply #976 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:27 pm »
Hey Raymond,

I may be suffering from the same weak left side vs right side strength imbalance.  I recently had a bike ergonomic fitting and my left knee moves horizontally a couple of inches during the stroke cycle while my right knee goes straight up and down like a piston.  I've suspected a muscle strength imbalance from skiing and most recently starting golf lessons.  The golfing has really caused lower back pain and I had to stop for a couple of weeks.  I just started physical therapy 2 weeks ago and hope that brings about some correction and long term sustainability.

Can you share what PT or exercises you are working on?

Thanks
Kenreau

All
I'm new here and to audio in general--so "hello"--but one area where I *am* experienced is as a bike fitter. I've been doing fittings since 1999 and am a certifiable "fit geek".
An interesting thing about pedaling imbalances--and lots of cycling issues in general--is how many are related to imbalances in function of the hips. There's a concept called the "malalignment syndrome" that discusses how common this is, even in the general population. We see it all the time in the fittings at the bike shop I own.
People always ask "what can I do to become stronger on the bike" (outside of riding more, of course). My response is always the same: work on core strength, particularly the hip stabilizers and even more particularly the gluteus medius.
All that being said: I'm a bike fitter, not a doctor or physical therapist...but our clients have had great luck following this advice.   

JoshK

« Reply #977 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:30 pm »
What happened to your old Cervelo?  Or is this setup for different type of riding?

wes_in_va

« Reply #978 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:33 pm »
I am still thinking if I should get the Q-rings or the regular round.

I'm a HUGE fan of Q rings. For me they really made  a difference in my average power throughout my pedal stroke. I'm an oddball in that I'm awfully efficient, but I lack output in the power phase. The Q rings helped that.
We've seen a little issue on some bikes with front shifting, but for most people the tradeoff seems worth it.

jackman

« Reply #979 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:34 pm »
Josh,
I was thinking the same thing!

Levi - what size is your old bike?  Can we get an AC special? 

Cheers

J