Bicycling On-the-Road

LadyDog

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #900 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:01 am »
Got to love Celeste George.

Nice frame Tvad.  Nice price too.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #901 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:34 am »
Thanks for all of the posts, PM's and phone calls.   :thumb:

Tomorrow I will be taking either the Cervelo S5 or Specialized Roubaix out for a 30-60 minute ride to get a better understanding of the bike.  Also, I will get a chance to try a Parlee Z5/Ultegra for 1-2 days.  This will allow me to take it out for a 30 mile ride and see how that goes.

Should be a fun 3 day weekend.

George

Levi

« Reply #902 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:12 pm »
If you are into exotic bikes, check out Storck Fascenario 0.6.

This bike frame has so many innovations and technology built into it. My local bike shop has one on sale for $10,000. 

Levi

« Reply #903 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:14 pm »
I did say $10k was for the frame only.  :lol:

Levi

« Reply #904 on: 30 Jun 2012, 03:08 am »
This is going to make my bike even lighter which is currently at 14 lbs.  :thumb:

LadyDog

« Reply #905 on: 30 Jun 2012, 03:11 am »
Nice saddle Levi.  I have a non-carbon railed on one of my bikes and I highly recommend. 

Levi

« Reply #906 on: 30 Jun 2012, 04:09 am »
Thanks Jeff.  I hope to get many miles from the Toupe S-Works otherwise, I am going back to the Romin Pro.

Nice saddle Levi.  I have a non-carbon railed on one of my bikes and I highly recommend. 

tdangelo

« Reply #907 on: 1 Jul 2012, 02:28 pm »
I just got this about 2 weeks ago and yesterday I went on my first ride of any distance.  I rode along A1A(Atlantic coast) for about 40 miles - average speed was about 3.5 mph faster than when on my Fuji Absolute 1.0(flatbar with 105 group). That aero sure makes a difference. I'm still getting used to the tri position and my neck was hurting for half of the ride. I started at 6:30am and got back around 8:30 so it was still nice and cool for Florida at about 75 deg.

Kestrel Talon Tri SRAM Force

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2012, 12:37 pm by tdangelo »

Rclark

« Reply #908 on: 3 Jul 2012, 03:26 am »

I just cracked out a 40 miler and traded the lead with a nice roadbike for six of em. By the time I shed these extra 20 pounds, Watch yo self.

jackman

« Reply #909 on: 5 Jul 2012, 03:17 pm »
Has anyone seen the new Trek Madone 7, the Radio Shack team is riding in this year's TDF?  Finally a cool looking bike from Trek.  They didn't even louse up the paint scheme this year.  I like the new aero brake setup and wonder if we will see similar brakes from other brands in the near future.  Adjustments will be different and I don't know how you release it when you have to take off your wheel.  Hmmmm. :scratch:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-and-tech/spotted-all-new-trek-madone-7_222357

Thirsty

« Reply #910 on: 5 Jul 2012, 04:52 pm »
I ordered a Fugi Altimira 2.0 from Performance and should arrive next week, looks to be a fairly good build except for the Alex ALX200 wheels. Thinking I may go ahead have them build it with better wheels, any suggestions? I'd like to keep it around $600 or so.
I've been riding a 2004 Felt SR71 (flat bar road bike) so am hoping the Fugi will be a significant upgrade, considered another Felt and Specialized but the Fugi just seemed to be the best bang for the buck. I was planning to get an endurance model thinking at 56 years old it may be more comfortable for longer distance but finally decided on the Altimira, hope I didn't make a mistake.

jackman

« Reply #911 on: 5 Jul 2012, 06:20 pm »
I'm not familiar with the bike you bought but I'd suggest trying the stock wheels for a while.  If they ride funky or come out of true, I'd look at something inexpensive like the wheels from Neuvation.  I've got a Neuvation front wheel and it's pretty nice. For the money they are a good deal and good value.  They have wheelsets starting around $200.

There are a million choices, but Neuvation clinchers are probably suitable for your bike, and come in under your budget.  Spend the money you save on some decent skewers, tubes and a set of Conti GP4000 tires.  You should have some cash to spare.  If you do, spend the money on some decent pedals, a saddle that fits you right (stock saddles usually suck) and some decent bottle holders for your bike if it doesn't come with them.  If you don't go too crazy, you might be able to do it within budget.  If not, I'd get the pedals, tires and bottle holders and hold off on the wheels altogether. 

The saddle, pedals and shoes would be my first priority.  Comfort is your top priority!  I know guys who are still using stock Shimano wheels that have thousands of miles on them.  The wheels are heavy but it doesn't slow down these guys.  THey kick my butt!

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product-list/wheels-1091/

LadyDog

« Reply #912 on: 6 Jul 2012, 01:56 am »
$600 for the wheels alone?  If so, there are a lot of options.  Not sure you really need to spend that much though.  You actually can upgrade from the current wheels for around $250-$300.  $600 is just icing on the cake.

I am a firm believer that wheels are just as important as the frame in general. 

jackman

« Reply #913 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:20 am »
$600 for the wheels alone?  If so, there are a lot of options.  Not sure you really need to spend that much though.  You actually can upgrade from the current wheels for around $250-$300.  $600 is just icing on the cake.

I am a firm believer that wheels are just as important as the frame in general.

Jeff - I agree with you but if he has a new bike, replacement wheels would be lower on the list than a good saddle, pedals and decent road shoes.   Also, stick tires are often not so hot. This is just my opinion.  Id also get a Garmin 500 before spending mine on new wheels.

Get wheels as a reward for your first 2000 miles or so. That's what I would do. good luck.

LadyDog

« Reply #914 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:36 am »
Completely agree Jack.  Just like fit, comfort is king.  A $1k set of wheels is not worth it if you are miserable.

Saddles, shoes, etc., are such personal preference, that it is hard to say what works for someone.

I have a somewhat expensive bike, but ride a $60 saddle.  What I was trying to convey is that for a majr expense, wheels are are good place to spend your money.  Provide the other pieces are already in place.

jackman

« Reply #915 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:43 am »
Jeff, I completely agree with you.  I was trying to say new wheels were not necessary.  Stock wheels might be heavy but as long as they are true, there are higher priorities.  I'd focus on dialing in my fit and comfort. 

Thirsty

« Reply #916 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:45 am »
Thanks for the suggestions jackman and Ladydog. I guess I was jumping the gun with the new wheels, I called Performance and spoke with the mechanic who will do the build, he said that the Alex wheels were pretty decent and he advised me to stick with them for the time being.
I've had a new saddle on order for around a month now, the Selle Italia I've been riding with is really bothering me this year for some reason. New pedals and electronics are also on the agenda for the new bike. For the pedals I think I'll just go with the Forte clone of the Shimano design. Not so sure on the electronics, think it will either be the Garmin 200 or the Cateye Strada. The Cateye does heartbeat and cadence while I would have to spend quite a bit more to get that with a Garmin.

jackman

« Reply #917 on: 6 Jul 2012, 01:44 pm »
I plan on riding lots of miles, get the Garmin edge 500.  It tracks your miles automatically on Garmin connect and is pretty slick.  I have a Cateye. It works well but is limited in this regard because it doesn't have gps.

You can usually find it for around 200 bucks if you shop around. 250 with cadence and heart rate.  I really love mine.  Also,
Look pedals are very good IMO.  You should be able to get a used pair for around what you paid for your pedals.  They are easy to use and durable.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #918 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:11 pm »
Having been laid up for the past week with a bad back has given me a chance to get more council (thanks Jeff, tvad, and others) and do more research on the bike buying front.

While I almost pulled the trigger on what "looked like" great deals on used bikes from Parlee, Serotta, and Specialized I ultimately showed some self control and passed on all of them.

Instead of buying a bike now, I have shifted my focus to getting a complete fitting and analysis so that I really know what geometry and setup will work for me.  This has been a universal recommendation from everybody I talk to (unlike everybody having a particular set of vendors that they endorse).

While there are literally dozens of shops to choose from in my area (it's nice being just outside Boston), I have narrowed my choices down to the following stores:

Grace Bicycles (http://gracebicycles.com/ - just down the road from me and a very experienced and certified Retul dealer that comes highly recommended)

Belmont Wheelworks (http://wheelworks.com/ - also a Retul dealer and comes highly recommended)

ATA Cycle (http://www.atabike.com/ - also comes highly recommended)

I hope to have the fitting take place within the next few weeks. 

Has anybody had a Retul fitting (http://www.retul.com/)?  If so, what did you think?

George

AB

« Reply #919 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:35 pm »
I think Levi had a Retul fitting and posted about it somewhere on Audiocircle. A search would turn it up.