Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1080 on: 6 Nov 2012, 03:28 pm »
I decided to upgrade my Zipp 303 rear wheel to Shimano 11-speed. Needless to say, I no longer need my 2011 Firecrest Zipp 404.

--Wheels are SOLD--
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2012, 02:56 am by Levi »

jackman

« Reply #1081 on: 6 Nov 2012, 03:47 pm »
That's a great price for those wheels. Best of luck to you.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1082 on: 6 Nov 2012, 06:37 pm »
Guys,

Now that I have my bike, I have begun thinking about training and measuring.

Right now I use my Garmin 800 to collect all available info (speed, elevation, heart rate, cadence) whether I am outside or inside on my trainor. 

Any thoughts on power meters and if it is worth investing in one?

How would the info a power meter collects differ from the Garmin 800 and how could it help me train in a better way?

George

jackman

« Reply #1083 on: 6 Nov 2012, 07:02 pm »
A power device like the Powertap measures actual wattage.  I know several people who have them and I have one as well.  It's a very accurate way to determine your fitness level and measure improvements.  It's Ant+ and works great with the Garmin.  Works great for stationary and outdoor rides.  Check out be book Traijing With Power for more info.  There is an overview on Amazon. 

Lots of other power devices like the Quarc (sp?) and crank based devices.  These are expensive but they let you use any wheels.  The PT is good because you can transfer the wheel to any bike.  I bought mine used and like it a lot.  The only downside is cost and weight penalty.  Battery change is easy and fast and replacement batteries are cheap and last a long time.  I have the Pro model, the older one.

There is a new one on the market that is crank based but it only uses alloy cranks.  I'm not sure how well it works.

Good luck

Jack

AB

« Reply #1084 on: 6 Nov 2012, 07:46 pm »
Guys,

Now that I have my bike, I have begun thinking about training and measuring.

Any thoughts on power meters and if it is worth investing in one?

How would the info a power meter collects differ from the Garmin 800 and how could it help me train in a better way?

George

If you have the scratch, there's no reason not to buy a PM. Wattage is really the only way to get a true measure of your effort while riding. HR is too variable, Avg speed is meaningless. But once you are measuring your watts, you need to decide how your going to use the data. So...what are your goals?

jackman

« Reply #1085 on: 6 Nov 2012, 09:33 pm »
Yep, what he said.  Power is the only true objective measure of performance.  Here is a review of the PT and a brief video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhhnAn_NhY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0NeqUP4po&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccb9KxKR5WY&feature=related

Okay, the last one has nothing to do with Power Training, it's one of my favorite time trials from the '04 TDF.  Fun stuff.

tvad4

« Reply #1086 on: 8 Nov 2012, 07:03 pm »
Wednesday 11/7 ride. Photo taken in Angeles National Forest north of Los Angeles at an elevation of ~4500 feet. It's a 14 mile climb to here from the town of La Canada, CA. Incredible day. It was about 75 degrees when the photo was taken.

Latest version of the road bike. Enve SES 3.4 clincher wheels replaced by Mavic R-SYS SLR. Cockpit and seat positions changed after recent fitting.

LadyDog

« Reply #1087 on: 8 Nov 2012, 07:25 pm »
Love the Parlee Tvad.  Big fan of Bob's works.

How do you like the Mavic wheels?  Have a few friends who swear by them.

tvad4

« Reply #1088 on: 8 Nov 2012, 07:34 pm »
How do you like the Mavic wheels?  Have a few friends who swear by them.
They have a really nice ride quality, because they absorb road vibration. They corner better than any wheels I've owned. They're also 1295 grams/set, so they're lighter than my Enve SES 3.4 clincher wheels built with Tune hubs (which weighed in at 1335 grams).

I found the Enve wheels rode a little harsh for my taste, and their handling in cross winds was not nearly what I expected based on reviews. I found myself getting blown around quite a bit, especially on gusty mountain descents.

Levi

« Reply #1089 on: 17 Nov 2012, 02:43 am »
My Zipp 303. What's next!?!

Levi

« Reply #1090 on: 17 Nov 2012, 07:38 am »

Shimano Dura-Ace 9000   :thumb: :thumb:

LadyDog

« Reply #1091 on: 19 Nov 2012, 02:10 pm »
Levi,
Sure I already know the answer, but how do you like the 11 speed?

Levi

« Reply #1092 on: 19 Nov 2012, 02:45 pm »
Shimano did a great job with the Dura Ace 9000. Coming from their older 7900, I like it a lot!  Shifting between cogs up or down felt really smooth.  The Gear ratio was spread out evenly.  I opted for the 11-28 cassette with my Rotor compact Q-Rings, I felt confident that I will never ran out of gears here in the East Coast.  The shifter ergonomics and the shift actuation were effortless.  It is an expensive upgrade but it is worth very penny.  I needed a new Shimano 11-speed compatible rear wheel/hub. 

Levi

« Reply #1093 on: 27 Nov 2012, 08:25 pm »
I reached the 13 lbs territory!

jackman

« Reply #1094 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:48 pm »
Levi,

The bike is looking beautiful.  There is only one thing I'd put on that bike to improve the look...ME!   :thumb:

Under 13 lbs?  That's one lightweight bike!

Ride safe.

J

Levi

« Reply #1095 on: 27 Nov 2012, 10:09 pm »
Thanks Jack. It is easy to pedal.  All I need is to improve my riding technique. Having a responsive bike helps. 

AB

« Reply #1096 on: 27 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm »
Your bike's two pounds lighter than the UCI minimum.  You're riding a lighter bike than any pro, cheater... :thumb: :lol:

Levi

« Reply #1097 on: 27 Nov 2012, 10:48 pm »
You are right.  It is not UCI legal but it surely is a lot of fun goofing around local club rides.

Levi

« Reply #1098 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:35 am »
This is interesting from SRAM...$20!

SRAM Quick Mount

Levi

« Reply #1099 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:45 am »
More pictures of the bike...Manhattan bridge in the background