New production 6SN7 recommendations?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Re: New production 6SN7 recommendations?
« Reply #40 on: 11 Nov 2010, 03:31 am »
I would love to try these babies but my Nightshade Audio Beacon III pre  takes 3 of them and my NS-60 SE takes another 3!!  We are talking $480.  :?

Randy

raindance

« Reply #41 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:22 pm »
I tried a fairly wide selection in a home made zero feedback mu follower preamp with battery bias. The Chinese 6SN7 tube sounded fine, but was rather noisy (hissy). The NOS varieties I tried were wildly varied too with the best being RCA and Sylvania, but they were all quieter.

If I recall correctly, the EH was the best price/performance compromise for modern production. Also not as quiet as NOS.

Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on the design of your equipment.

By the way, I'm one who regularly recommends Chinese tubes. I like the Sino EL34B and Valve Art 6550 tubes a lot and their 12AU7's are pretty darn extended sounding these days. Their 6N3's are decent too, but tend to be a bit noisy.

bunky

« Reply #42 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:27 pm »
I have had the Create Audio 6SN7's in my preamplifier for well over 100 hrs. these really are Premium Audiophile grade tubes and in my opinion they are outstanding performers  :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #43 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:00 pm »
Can you describe their sound please?

bunky

« Reply #44 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:19 pm »
Can you describe their sound please?
they are balanced in the sense that they dont over emphasize any aspect of the bass ,mids or treble nor do they under emphasize any aspect of the bass,mids or treble and they are very clear and detailed without ever seeming the least bit hard, etched or sterile. the sound of these tubes just seems to have a rightness to it that is very pleasing to me.thanks....WCW III

richidoo

« Reply #45 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:47 pm »
Thats great to hear William! It's good to have another primo production tube besides Treasure, which also sounded better than Tung Sol round plate, ime.

pheesama

« Reply #46 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:54 pm »
Dear Audio Circle Friends,

I am using DIY pre-am with 6 SN 7 made by EH. I am very happy with the outcome. Somehow I would like to find out if I can get improvement with other valve manufacturer and decided to purchase 2 x Baldwin. It will arrive tomorrow. i know that they are no new production of 6SN7. I shall report to you anyway.

woodnut

« Reply #47 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:37 pm »
Hello,

I have been reading this thread with great intrest as I am looking to replace the stock 6SN7 in my Almarro A318.

I was very keen to try the Shuguang Black Treaure 6SN7 as I have read so many positive comments but the price is a little bit of a stretch.

I am very interested in the Synergy HiFi 6SN7 which was mentioned earlier in this thread (I knew nothing of it before reading this thread) and would very much appreciate any more feedback on this tube and especially how it compares with the Black Treasure for those who have used / heard both.

Many thanks..

Gopher

« Reply #48 on: 30 Nov 2010, 03:56 pm »
I came across a link while surfing audioasylum for cheap black treasure tubes:  http://www.goodcomponent.com/ 

I haven't used them, but plan to in the future.  They can get Psvane tubes as well, but the pricing is only a couple bucks cheaper than Grant and they don't have the warranty.

Hello,

I have been reading this thread with great intrest as I am looking to replace the stock 6SN7 in my Almarro A318.

I was very keen to try the Shuguang Black Treaure 6SN7 as I have read so many positive comments but the price is a little bit of a stretch.

I am very interested in the Synergy HiFi 6SN7 which was mentioned earlier in this thread (I knew nothing of it before reading this thread) and would very much appreciate any more feedback on this tube and especially how it compares with the Black Treasure for those who have used / heard both.

Many thanks..

rklein

« Reply #49 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:16 pm »
This is a bit off topic but it does have to do 6SN7's.  I have a preamp that takes 3 6SN7's and an amp that also takes 3 6SN7's.  I would love to try the Create Audio 6SN7's but at $80 a tube, it adds up to $480.  What would make a bigger impact?  Putting 3 in the amp or putting 3 in the pre?

Thanks,

Randy

Don_S

« Reply #50 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:04 pm »
Randy,  You seem to have a fortunate dilemma.  I say fortunate because all the tubes are the same.  Did I miss something from your post?  Is it possible to purchase three tubes and then try them in each unit?

This is a bit off topic but it does have to do 6SN7's.  I have a preamp that takes 3 6SN7's and an amp that also takes 3 6SN7's.  I would love to try the Create Audio 6SN7's but at $80 a tube, it adds up to $480.  What would make a bigger impact?  Putting 3 in the amp or putting 3 in the pre?

Thanks,

Randy

rklein

« Reply #51 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:16 pm »
Hi Doug:

You are absolutely correct in your assumption about trying the three in either the amp or pre. :lol:

I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person.  I am sure my better half could come up with an explanation why I couldn't figure this out for myself. :P

Thanks,

Randy

Ericus Rex

« Reply #52 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:12 pm »
In my experience, you'd get more bang for buck using them in the preamp.  I haven't found changing out inputs/drivers in an amp to make as big a difference in sound.  Let us know your findings.

bunky

« Reply #53 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:00 am »
I got a pair of Black Treasure CV181Z 6SN7's last night and i am running them in my Purity Audio Basis plus linestage and they are really nice. I moved the Create Audio 6SN7's into my Niteshade NS-40 and after a few hundred hours i will swap them back to see which positions i actually prefer these  two pairs of tubes in. I also have a Quad of Black Treasure KT66Z's coming to run in the NS-40  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 09:52 am by bunky »

Audioclyde

« Reply #54 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:08 am »
Bunky,

Pls let us know how the Creates compare to the Black Treasures.  I've had the Treasures and really liked them, and I'm running the Create 300B's and they are really good too.  They are a bit different from the Treasure 300B which I also like a lot, so I'm curious how the 6sn7 tubes compare

Thanks,

Randy

Ericus Rex

« Reply #55 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:00 pm »
I'd love to try the Treasure 6SN7 in my pre but I don't have enough clearance between socket and cover to fit them    :cry:  Rachel says they're 4 inches long not including the pins.

BobRex

« Reply #56 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:27 pm »
Bunky,

Pls let us know how the Creates compare to the Black Treasures.  I've had the Treasures and really liked them, and I'm running the Create 300B's and they are really good too.  They are a bit different from the Treasure 300B which I also like a lot, so I'm curious how the 6sn7 tubes compare

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,

(Just a little OT)  How would you compare the Create and Treasure 300Bs?  What else have you compare them to?  I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Treasure 2A3s, and I haven't seen any reports on them.  I'm vacillating between EML Meshplates and the Treasures. 

Thanks

Bob

Audioclyde

« Reply #57 on: 16 Dec 2010, 03:20 pm »
Bob,

Here  is a link to my initial thoughts comparing the Treasures and the Create/Synergy 300B's:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82368.msg792847#msg792847

My reaction is still the same; I have a hard time picking between the tubes.  The Treasures seem to be a touch warmer, fleshier, while the Synergy's are definitely tighter in the bass. 

I would love to try the EML meshplates; my experience with the EML mesh 5u4G rectifier in my MW Transporter indicated that their tubes are fantastic.  Unfortunately, I can't get confirmation that its safe to run them in my amp, and George at TubesUSA didn't think I should chance it, especially given the cost of the EML's.

From reading on line reviews of the EML's, I suspect that the Synergy/Create 300B sounds more like them than the Black Treasures, but of course that's just speculation on my part.

Best,

Randy

Gopher

« Reply #58 on: 16 Dec 2010, 04:47 pm »
Are there sites to buy the Creates heavily discounted directly from China?  I've come across a few sources to get the Treasurer tubes much cheaper and wonder if the same can be done with the Creates. 

Also, I see they have a 2a3 and 300B, no chance that there is an 845 I'm not seeing, is there?

Audioclyde

« Reply #59 on: 16 Dec 2010, 05:01 pm »
I got mine directly from Synergy HiFi; that was quite some time ago and I don't think they even had any NA distributors then.