New production 6SN7 recommendations?

rockadanny

Re: New production 6SN7 recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:54 am »
Groovy! Thanks!
Step one complete ... I know where to buy one.  :thumb:
Step two ... anyone know where I can get $200? :icon_lol:
Just kidding. Will work on that step 'cause I think I NEED these tubes.

rockadanny

« Reply #21 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:58 am »
Can I drop these into my Mapletree Audio 2A SE Linestage preamp (has a 6SN7/12SN7 switch on back of pre, though I've never yet tried any 6SN7s)? I thought I'd read they are not exactly garden variety 6SN7s (spec-wise) so one has to be cautious about whether or not they'd work in your circuit. :scratch:

I've e-mailed Dr. Peppard this question, along with the data sheet on these tubes, but have not heard back yet.

Bigfish

« Reply #22 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:57 pm »
Can I drop these into my Mapletree Audio 2A SE Linestage preamp (has a 6SN7/12SN7 switch on back of pre, though I've never yet tried any 6SN7s)? I thought I'd read they are not exactly garden variety 6SN7s (spec-wise) so one has to be cautious about whether or not they'd work in your circuit. :scratch:

I've e-mailed Dr. Peppard this question, along with the data sheet on these tubes, but have not heard back yet.

I owned a Mapletree 2A-SE until I sold it last week.  I ran 6SN7 Tung-Sol Round Plates in it for the past year but at one point I owned a ModWright Transporter with the Black Treasures.  A friend and I switched the Black Treasures into the Mapletree and it worked/sounded fine.  I did not keep the treasures in the Mapletree because I sold the Transporter and the buyer wanted it with the Treasures.  Bottom-line is I found the Treasures to work fine in the Mapletree.

Ken

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #23 on: 5 Nov 2010, 02:18 pm »
Has anyone done business with the ALO Audio based in Portland, OR?  They have the Create Audio 6SN7's.

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=377

Thanks,

Randy

rockadanny

« Reply #24 on: 5 Nov 2010, 03:42 pm »
Anyone compare the Black Treasures to NOS 12SX7s? Or care to guess?
I've got a pair of JAN CLRV 12SX7GTs (Canada) in my pre (which can use 12SN or 6SN tubes).

bunky

« Reply #25 on: 5 Nov 2010, 10:07 pm »
Has anyone done business with the ALO Audio based in Portland, OR?  They have the Create Audio 6SN7's.

Thanks,

Randy
I found a link to these guys yesterday from the manufacturers website and i just ordered a matched pair of the Create Audio 6SN7's for my Basis Plus preamplifier from them today  :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #26 on: 6 Nov 2010, 01:20 pm »

Thanks,

Randy

Those look alot like Sino tubes.  Maybe they have just been ultra-tested and ultra-matched but may otherwise be stock Chinese.

bunky

« Reply #27 on: 6 Nov 2010, 08:55 pm »
Those look alot like Sino tubes.  Maybe they have just been ultra-tested and ultra-matched but may otherwise be stock Chinese.
According to the interview in Six Moons the Create Synergy CEO Dr Ningsheng Liu claims that thier tubes are made of special proprietary alloys that are covered by a carbon-oxide coating. mgalusha likes his pair and says a friend of his prefers the Create 6SN7's to the Black Treasure 6SN7's so i will reserve further comment until i get a pair into my system and evaluate them for myself  Wink2

Quiet Earth

« Reply #28 on: 6 Nov 2010, 09:53 pm »
Glad to see this topic revived. Thanks everyone. It looks like there are some good choices for new production 6SN7 tubes today. This is good news.

Audioclyde

« Reply #29 on: 6 Nov 2010, 10:02 pm »
I haven't tried the Synergy/Create 6sn7's, but as I posted in an earlier thread, I purchased a pair of their 300B's.  Really, really nice--I think they a maybe a bit more linear and extended at both frequency extremes than the Black Treasure 300B's (which I also really like), but never hard or etched in any way.  Its difficult for me to choose a favorite between these two brands, both very good, and just a little bit different--to me the Black Treasures a bit more 'romantic' (but not by much).

At the moment I don't have any equipment using 6sn7's, but I won't hesitate to try the Synergy/Create tubes when I do--especially now that we have a dealer here in the US (although I must say Mr. Liu was great to work with when I ordered my 300B's direct.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #30 on: 7 Nov 2010, 02:15 am »
I found a link to these guys yesterday from the manufacturers website and i just ordered a matched pair of the Create Audio 6SN7's for my Basis Plus preamplifier from them today

Let me know your thoughts on them after getting some hours on them. I just contacted them directly myself to see how to go about getting a few pair to audition.

I would like to get a pair of Pavane 12AU7's as well (finally got to here them today thanks to mdfoy :green:) so I can do a comparison of the two.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #31 on: 7 Nov 2010, 01:54 pm »
According to the interview in Six Moons the Create Synergy CEO Dr Ningsheng Liu claims that thier tubes are made of special proprietary alloys that are covered by a carbon-oxide coating. mgalusha likes his pair and says a friend of his prefers the Create 6SN7's to the Black Treasure 6SN7's so i will reserve further comment until i get a pair into my system and evaluate them for myself  Wink2

Yes, let us know your impressions.

I'm always leery of claims like this since it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, for people to start up a tube company.  How can they get the necessary machinery?  I guess what is more plausible is they buy the guts of the tubes from Sino, have them coated as mentioned in the interview and then returned to Sino for encasing.  That could be the case.

rockadanny

« Reply #32 on: 7 Nov 2010, 09:16 pm »
current production 6SN7s are 100% garbage. Regardless of the manufacturer.

NagysAudio:

1. Can you please explain why this is? What about these new releases in comparisons to NOS make them 100% garbage?
2. Have you heard them?
3. Every review I've seen says exactly the opposite. Please tell me (or guess) why that is?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #33 on: 7 Nov 2010, 09:46 pm »
Nagys has been banned from AC.

bunky

« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2010, 01:43 am »
I received a matched pair of Create Audio 6SN7's today and replaced a vintage pair of Tung Sol 6SN7 GTB's in my Purity Audio Basis Plus linestage with the Create Audio 6SN7's. it may sound crazy but these tubes sound better than the NOS Tung Sol's right out of the box.so far i have Listened to some Wagner, Kate Bush and the Doors and they sound really good. i will run these tubes in for a few days and see what happens....WCW III           PS:    these tubes also come with a one year warranty from Synergy/Create Audio  8)

cujobob

« Reply #35 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:20 am »
I forget which, but one of the popular online tube vendors explained the differences between tubes of various years...and how much that was done by hand vs. machine was a large part of the difference in SQ, it seems (they also changed some physical characteristics over the years).

NagysAudio:

1. Can you please explain why this is? What about these new releases in comparisons to NOS make them 100% garbage?
2. Have you heard them?
3. Every review I've seen says exactly the opposite. Please tell me (or guess) why that is?

Gopher

« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:24 am »
I received a matched pair of Create Audio 6SN7's today and replaced a vintage pair of Tung Sol 6SN7 GTB's in my Purity Audio Basis Plus linestage with the Create Audio 6SN7's. it may sound crazy but these tubes sound better than the NOS Tung Sol's right out of the box.so far i have Listened to some Wagner, Kate Bush and the Doors and they sound really good. i will run these tubes in for a few days and see what happens....WCW III           PS:    these tubes also come with a one year warranty from Synergy/Create Audio  8)

what kind of pricing would one be looking at for a pair of those Creates?  I haven't seen much on them on the web, just an expensive BIN on ebay.

Will2

« Reply #37 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:41 am »
what kind of pricing would one be looking at for a pair of those Creates?  I haven't seen much on them on the web, just an expensive BIN on ebay.

Looks like $80 for a pair.  See here ...... http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=377

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #38 on: 11 Nov 2010, 03:25 am »
Looks like $80 for a pair.  See here ...... http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=377

I think it is $80 for one 6SN7 not for a pair.

Randy

Will2

« Reply #39 on: 11 Nov 2010, 03:27 am »
Oops :-(