New production 6SN7 recommendations?

Quiet Earth

New production 6SN7 recommendations?
« on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:40 am »
New production 6SN7s.

Does anyone have an opinion or recommendation for the current offerings of 6SN7 available today? I thought I'd pick up a pair of the latest Tung-Sol 6SN7GT to try in my 300B amplifiers. Before I do, I thought it would be fun to discuss which new production 6SN7s others are using.

Which ones do you like?

8)

Berto

Re: New production 6SN7 recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:48 am »
I have a pair of 1944 TS round plates and actually prefer the new production Black Treasure CV-181s. Check to see if they compatible with your equipment.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:57 am »
I recently bought a pair of the Create Audio 6SN7's and so far I'm quite happy. Not a lot of hours yet but so far I don't want to put the National Union 6F8G round plates back in. :)

I'm using it in my preamp gain stage. 6SN7 with Pimm CCS at 8ma, 250V regulated B+, 500R cathode resistor.

http://sixmoons.com/audioreviews/synergy/300B.html

http://www.synergyhifi.com/a/tube

http://www.synergyhifi.com/a/tube/6

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2010, 10:47 am »
I have three favorites:

1] Tung Sol
2] Electro Harmonix
3] Sino

Sino might sound surprising- but they are good at making 6SN7's.

Syrah

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:41 pm »
Hi,

If you're interested, I have some new Tung Sols that I have never used.  Matched by the Tube Store.  I also have some used RCAs and some fairly new (about 100 hours) Electro Harmonix.  I could sell you the whole lot for a reasonable price.  I stopped rolling when I plugged in the Black Treasures.  PM me if you're interested.

Bigfish

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:53 pm »
I agree with the previous poster and have found the Black Treasure CV-181s to better the Tung-Sol Round Plates in my ModWright Transporter. 

Good luck,

Ken

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:16 am »
Why do they have to be new production? "JAN" designated tubes are by FAR, FAR, FAR the very best ones. Nothing even comes close. I cannot stress this strongly enough. Virtually ALL current production 6SN7s are 100% garbage. Regardless of the manufacturer.

JAN 6SN7 tubes are readily available from many online tube order shops as well as eBay. It baffles my mind why anyone would want to use anything but them.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2010, 11:34 am »
In all honesty there are only two current production 6SN7 tubes I will use. The Shuguang and EH Gold. I won't use any Chinese 12Axxx series tubes but the Shuguang 6SN7 tube is a very nice offering and are the quietest I have come across.
 I do not like the regular EH 6SN7 but very fond of the Gold pin.

Have had bad experiences with the new Tung-Sol 6SN7 tubes. Maybe they were just from a bad batch?

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2010, 05:20 pm »
Spoke with a friend yesterday who has been comparing the Synergy HiFi/Create Audio to the Shuguang Black Treasure. He said the Synergy 6SN7 is better in his system than the Black Treasure at about 1/2 the price.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:30 pm »
Mike,
Where did you buy your HiFi/Create tubes? I found info on the company but did not see a dealer link.

Thanks  :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:34 pm »
Why do they have to be new production?

I just wanted to know what guys are buying that are new, not new old stock or used. Got plenty of that already.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:46 pm »
I too would be interested in finding out who/where the distributor is. I have interest in the 6SN7 and 12AU7. I have never been a fan of Chinese 12xxx tubes and curious how these may differ. I do like the Shuguang 6SN7.

Audioclyde

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2010, 08:25 pm »
I tried contacting Synergy HiFi a couple of months ago, as I'm interested in trying a pair of their 300B's.  I  haven't gotten any response and I also haven't been able to locate a source, so any info will be much appreciated.

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2010, 08:48 pm »
I got them from Mike at Tweekgeek.com. He had bought them for himself and then didn't need them after all. The contact info I have for them is:

Ningsheng Liu   --    sales @ synergyhifi.com

I don't think they have a US dealer network, at least I know that Mike bought them direct. I am 99.99% sure he is not a dealer for them, so I suggest contacting them directly as I doubt he can be much help on these.

Mike

Mike,
Where did you buy your HiFi/Create tubes? I found info on the company but did not see a dealer link.

Thanks  :thumb:

Audioclyde

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2010, 08:50 pm »
Thanks Mike!

Quiet Earth

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:12 am »
Well, a few months ago I bought a pair of TUNG-SOL 6SN7s from Cryoset. I'm not really hip to the whole Cryo-scene, but it seemed like a sweet deal to get my tubes stressed, burned in, and matched for nearly the same price as getting them anywhere else. I have no idea if the Cryo-thing makes a real improvement to the tube but I certainly appreciate the attention to detail in preparing a matched pair of tubes for the customer.

The tubes are used in my Audio Note Quest Silver Sigs., which is a 6SN7 driving a 300B, both powered by a 5U4GB rectifier. For the first 50+ hours of use the TungSols sounded very lively and dynamic. They were a little too lively and downright aggressive, or so I thought at the time. After another 100+ hours of listening things settled down nicely but they retained what I would consider a very spirited sense of drive. I went back to my trusty NOS stash for a memory refreshor and grabbed a set of Sylvanias. Hmmmm........ a little too laid back and slow. I don't remember these being that way. I used the old Sylvanias for a few weeks just to recalibrate my senses. But instead of trying some of my CBS or KenRad brands in search of the holy grail I decided to pop the Tung-Sols back in. I think I like these.

Yes, I like them very much, especially considering their cost and availability. I'm going to pick up another set before I explore some of the other choices mentioned in this thread. Synergy/Create sounds like my next stop.

Train kept a rollin' . . . . . .

Audioclyde

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:21 am »
I haven't tried the Synergy/Create 6sn7's yet, but I did contact Mr. Liu and bought a pair of the 300B's---I like them better than my Blk Treasures or my Sophia Electric carbon plates!

I'll probably try the 6sn7's soon.

rockadanny

« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2010, 02:28 am »
So where can one get these Black Treasures?

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 5 Nov 2010, 02:42 am »
So where can one get these Black Treasures?
I got mine here http://thetubestore.com/sh-cv181-z.html.  "A" grade

Great tubes in my Atma-Sphere M60's first position.

Tom

Pez

« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2010, 02:43 am »
www.grantfidelity.com

Ian and Rachel are da bomb.