Wyred 4 Sound DAC details announced, incl. release dates

roscoeiii

Wyred4Sound just released the details on their ESS Sabre based DAC, including release dates. Some pretty exciting stuff. Not affiliated in any way, but thought the Circles might be interested in checking this one out. Details:

The time has finally come..... It's been a long journey for the DAC, but we now have another product ready to immediately impress. Many thanks to all who have been  extremely patient during the development of the DAC and to all our customers out  there supporting our passion!  I can assure you; these products were worth the wait!

Two versions will be offered.  We will have one for those looking for a DAC to focus mainly on SPDIF sources and to operate as a stand-along unit.  This will be the DAC-1.  We will also offer the DAC-2; it will offer more inputs including the overdue 24 bit / 92kHz Asynchronous USB interface, volume control, remote control and HT bypass.  We are currently processing photos, and specs on the DACs, so please be patient, they're coming very soon.

DAC-1 product information

The DAC-1 will be offered with the following features:

* ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC (32-bit dac)
    * W4S proprietary discrete output stages for optimum sonics
    * ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®
    * Upgradable Digital, output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)
    * Automatic 500kHz oversampling for precise output filtering
    * Fully balanced design with balanced and unbalanced outputs
    * Oversized toroidal transformer
    * Robust 35A bridge rectified power-supply with 88,000uF of filtering.
    * LCD display for input and sample rate viewing
    * 2x Coax inputs
    * 2x Toslink inputs
    * 16/48 USB input (future upgrade to 24/96 USB)
    * Retail = $999 (starts shipping 4/09/2010)

DAC-2 product information

The DAC-2 will be offered with the following features:

* ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC (32-bit dac)
    * W4S proprietary discrete output stages for optimum sonics
    * ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®
    * Upgradable Digital, output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)
    * Automatic 500kHz oversampling for precise output filtering
    * Fully balanced design with balanced and unbalanced outputs
    * Oversized toroidal transformer
    * Robust 35A Schottky bridge rectifier (also used in the STP-SE)
    * 88,000uf of filtering with W4S low ESR "super-cap" (also used in the STP-SE)
    * VFD display for input, sample rate, and volume control viewing
    * Remote control
    * Defeatable - 32 bit volume control via remote
    * HT Bypass inputs (selectable via DC trigger)
    * 2x Coax inputs
    * 2x Toslink inputs
    * 1x AES/EBU input
    * 1x Balanced I2S input via HDMI cable (not standard HDMI cable format)
    * 24/192 Asynchronous USB input.
    * Retail = $1499 (estimated shipping 4/23/2010)

Levi

Re: Wyred 4 Sound DAC details announced, incl. release dates
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2010, 11:28 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  ESS 9018 Sabre32 DAC?!?  This is going to be a good one if implemented properly.  Hopefully, they include a tube stage.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2010, 11:38 pm »
No tube stage. Analog output is discrete. But I suspect I am not alone in being intrigued by "*Upgradable Digital, output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)"

Wow. Intriguing.

Also meant to mention that designer is Rick Cullen of Cullen Circuits whose mods of the PS Audio DAC Link III have gotten some pretty great reviews. This DAC 1that he designed from the ground up is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the modded PS Audio DACs.

writeface

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2010, 11:42 pm »
Thanks for the info. How does this compare to PS audio's Perfectwave DAC?

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2010, 11:44 pm »
Interesting spects, features but tube output section in true-all-ballance design isn't that easy. If it was or if this DAC ever will inclued it..... I would be all over it.
Especially in those price ranges and features.

Mariusz :)

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2010, 11:48 pm »
Not released yet so I don't know. I think some folks heard an early version of this at RMAF, but we'll have to wait until 4/9 to find out.

The DAC2 version has an HDMI I2S input (in addition to the 24/192 async USB input!) and the PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport is the only transport I know to have an HDMI I2S output.

groovybassist

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2010, 12:23 am »
I'm a new, but big fan of Wyred's gear.  I love the STI-500.  Really interested to hear some feedback on these DACs.  I'm just not sure I'm ready to make the leap to separate transport/DAC and/or streaming music. 

mchuckp

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2010, 02:35 pm »
I'm curious about the I2S HDMI connection.  Is the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport the only thing on the market currently using this?  I assume one cannot just hook up their HDMI based bluray/dvd player.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2010, 02:48 pm »
I dialog'd with EJ (Wyred's designer) and he said the I-squared-S HDMI is NOT for standard HDMI players, but for new upcoming (read Wyred) transports.  Since it's a proprietary I-squared-S it's crap shoot that the PS transport would work; doubt it but maybe they're talking.

Wyred is fighting wayyy above their weight class lately (STP SE preamp is best under-$2k pre I've ever heard, and betters many way above it) so this might be a real find at $1499.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2010, 02:52 pm »
I'm curious about the I2S HDMI connection.  Is the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport the only thing on the market currently using this?  I assume one cannot just hook up their HDMI based bluray/dvd player.

That is my understanding currently. But things get more interesting when the PS Audio Bridge comes out. Not sure when that will be, but seems that is may be a great streaming solution once it is on the market.

OOPS, looks like the Bridge is not an external module. And not clear whether PS Audio and W4S HDMI I2S devices will be compatible...

Haven't come across any mention of this HDMI I2S connection from other companies, but I haven't been looking particularly.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2010, 03:04 pm »
And if the pre section of the DAC2 is like the Wyred pre, then it could be a real contender.

hmen

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2010, 04:52 pm »
Bye-Bye Benchmark.

mr_bill

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2010, 05:00 pm »
Is the volume control on the dac 2 going to be analog or digital?

writeface

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2010, 05:12 pm »
Is the ESS sabre DAC better than say Burr Brown DAC?

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2010, 05:19 pm »
It's a highly touted chip. Many reviewers said that the Peachtree Sabre-based units (which use an older version of the Sabre chip) were worth buying at that price for the DAC alone. And now we are finally seeing more Sabre implementations coming to the market.

As with most things, it will probably be a matter of personal preference. The Sabre chip seems to have quite low jitter, and to be a very detailed chip. These characteristics will then also be affected by its implementation. Wyred4Sound employs a discrete output stage, whereas the Eastern Electric Sabre DAC enables one to switch between a tube and op-amp based output stage.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2010, 05:45 pm »
The Sabre32 is also used in the Oppo BDP-83 to very good results!  Keep in mind that the Sabre chip (or family of chips) is only one aspect of a DACs performance.  Like saying "this car has a Cleveland engine, therefore it will perform"...is simply not true.  However, that being said... EJ, Rick Cullen and team at Wyred have already proven they know what a good analog stage (the part after the chip) sounds like, given the sound of their preamps, integrateds, etc.

talk2me

« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2010, 06:17 pm »
This is great news. I currently have my McIntosh MCD500 (also Sabre DACs) for sale, and this could prove to be a worthy replacement. I do not know much of Cullen industries, but from what I have read, they are top-shelf.

tasar

« Reply #17 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:01 pm »
Is the volume control on the dac 2 going to be analog or digital?

Hi Bill......I think you and I have corresponded, sharing the fact we got rid of our PS PWD DACs. When my PWD was at Rick's the first thing mentioned was the digital volume control "has to go". The entire output stage was found to be "compromised" and the sampling faulty. I don't know what PS used as a benchmark, but the sound was thin, far short of analog, much like their other DACs. The rest of the PWD faithful are still, after over a year now, awaiting the I2S inputted Bridge. It better be good (something other than it's lackluster SPDIF and USB inputs), or this product is a dead horse. Paul's still in the sand over USB implementation, which is "swimming upstream", in my estimation. He's not embracing USB with their new PWL server, go figure. It is a little known fact, the W4S DAC's I2S input sounds superior to the PWD, from the PS Transport. Who can fault Cullen for not including it.  I know Rick has worked long and hard on the output stage, and anguished over this being as good as it could be. I can't wait at this price.

s_cervin

« Reply #18 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:42 pm »
Hopefully there is a pre-order list to jump on??  I'd like to have a DAC-2 arrive before 5/1 for the AKfest GTG.

This unit sounds like a winner and the HT bypass is the one feature I've been waiting for.  I've been looking at many different options, but the DAC-2 will come in at a drastically lower price point and allow other needed upgrades.

SC 

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2010, 08:42 pm »
Spoke with EJ and they will also be modding other transports for an I2S output for use with the HDMI I2S input on their DAC2.