Anything magical about Apple displays? recommendations?

ctviggen

Re: Anything magical about Apple displays? recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2010, 08:54 pm »
Jeez, buncha cynical people here. The Mac Monitors are amazing. They have very accurate color (which is what you're paying for with a Mac video editors and photogs love it for that reason) the price is high, but that's what you pay for greatness.

But the original posted just wants to surf the web and pay bills.  You don't need a color correct, calibrated screen for those purposes.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 14 Apr 2010, 09:01 pm »
But the original posted just wants to surf the web and pay bills.  You don't need a color correct, calibrated screen for those purposes.

This often happens in forums when someone asks for recommendations.  If the original poster wants an integrated amplifier for a second system in his den, responders sometimes loose sight of the goal and will give a recommendation for a separate preamp and a pair of 200W monoblocks.

The OP will have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Steve

kenreau

« Reply #22 on: 14 Apr 2010, 09:51 pm »
And, I did.... picked up a Samsung SyncMaster P2450H from Costco for $229.  So far I am really impressed.  Plus, with the liberal return policy at Costco it is no risk (unlike returning with BestBuy and Frys, ugh).

It's got all the connections, wiz bang performance specs, sleek looks, etc.  The only thing to bitch about is the monitor stand height is rather low and not adjustable(?)  I was/am planning to add a pair of AudioEngine A2 speakers adjacent and need the monitor up a few inches.  Looking for a  small black glossy stand to set the monitior on top of now.

Thanks again for all the input AC!

Kenreau

drphoto

« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:26 pm »
For photo editing, nothing beats a hardware color calibrated CRT like a Sony Artisan or the venerable Radius Pressview. Unfortunately, neither are made anymore. If I remain in photography, I'm going to have to find someone w/ a NOS Sony and probably pay a lot of money. My current one won't calibrate anymore. (they have a limited lifespan)

But for general stuff, who cares? Get something pretty (and cheap)

Maybe I'm a moron (probably true) but I think Apple monitors tend to be way too contrasty for good photo editing. I could not get them dialed in properly. But it's been a few years since I tried them. Maybe things have changed as CRTs have gone away.