Poll

Have you 'tuned' or 'built' your system for a particular type of music?

Yes - for Jazz
6 (11.3%)
Yes - for Classical
4 (7.5%)
Yes - for Rock
2 (3.8%)
Yes - for Pop
0 (0%)
Yes - for 'old recordings'
0 (0%)
Yes - for 'other' (please list which type)
2 (3.8%)
No
34 (64.2%)
Huh?
5 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Have you 'tuned' or 'built' your system for a particular type of music?

turkey

Accurate vs. enjoyable has a corollary in flat top guitars.  Taylor tend toward "accurate" and "low distortion" with high rate of sample consistency.  Many players obviously love them; it's not one of my favorites, though one must admire sample consistency.

The guitar is creating sound, not reproducing it, so it's really not the same thing at all.

An accurate stereo system would then let you hear the guitar as it actually is, good or bad.

I don't feel that a stereo system should add anything to the sound, so that all guitars sound warm and rich, for instance. I call that sound effects, and it's only ok if you can turn it off when you want to.

turkey

single event athlete.  Likewise in music.  For example, there is magic in SET/Single Driver combo for voices in a cappella or accompanied by small acoustic ensemble.  This combo somehow resonate with voices in just the right way.  I assume that the speaker driver behaves (driven by SET amps) in such a way to match the attack and decay pattern of natural sounds. By natural I mean acoustic instruments and voices.   But this is not a full range speaker and is not good with large symphonic music or "sythesized" sounds.

I would say that these SET/Single Driver systems make sounds in a way that you like for vocals or small ensembles. They're not accurate at all, but you like the way they sound. (That's fine, but not what I look for.)

I prefer a more accurate system, and I require it to sound good with all genres of music.

doug s.

• makin' music
I would say that these SET/Single Driver systems make sounds in a way that you like for vocals or small ensembles. They're not accurate at all, but you like the way they sound. (That's fine, but not what I look for.)

I prefer a more accurate system, and I require it to sound good with all genres of music.
if the "distortion" of the software & hardware leads to a more accurate presentation of the actual ewent, is it really distortion?  set/single driver systems are not accurate at all?  how come they make small ensembles/vocals sound more like the real thing, then?   8)  i, too, prefer more accuracy - accuracy to the real ewent.  and, because i want my system to sound good w/all types of music, as i said before, i triamp, using woofers & subwoofers below 300hz.

doug s.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
turkey, what are the components you use to get accurate sound in your system?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
The guitar is creating sound, not reproducing it, so it's really not the same thing at all.

An accurate stereo system would then let you hear the guitar as it actually is, good or bad.

I don't feel that a stereo system should add anything to the sound, so that all guitars sound warm and rich, for instance. I call that sound effects, and it's only ok if you can turn it off when you want to.

The producer vs. reproducer point is well taken.  All analogies eventually fail to serve the original point.  To clarify my point, some guitars and some reproduction systems encourage longer listening sessions and/or a deeper emotional involvement with the music vs. others encouraging only brief listening sessions, cold and lacking in emotional involvement and having what listeners and test equipment might reveal as greater accuracy (for the Taylor a flatter FR within its range, have not seen scientific data but my ears tell me it is possible if not probable).  Players who audition a prewar Martin OM28 (in good playing condition, rare and  costly) and a new Taylor of similar size/shape (forgot their model nomenclature) could relate.

BTW, regarding your terms "warm and rich": these would likely be more attributed to the above Martin than the Taylor, yet the Martin would simultaneously beat the Taylor in detail and harmonic overtones (the Taylor would be "clean" but just have less differentiation between treble notes and overtones).  I wonder how likely that would be the case with two audio systems? 

rockadanny

No, just the opposite. Built for all music I enjoy.

mjosef

Sure...good music. Its all good, on the right system.