What amp?

macrojack

• Restricted
What amp?
« on: 24 Mar 2010, 02:10 pm »
Next week I will be receiving a Parasound JC-2 preamp. I use very efficient horn loudspeakers so the 400 watt mono JC-1 amplifiers would be an enormous overkill. This leaves me looking for an amp suggestion that would be lower power but perform at the level of the preamp. Any ideas? I like the idea of monoblocks, class A, solid state and balanced. All are negotiable but I'm interested in considering anything that makes sense, even including a kit.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: What amp?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2010, 02:13 pm »
I'm a fan of Clayton Audio.  His 200wpc Class A mono blocks are aweome.  I use the M-300's and had the M-200's before.  They're XLR only.

He also has a 30wpc Class A but it's not mono block. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2010, 02:34 pm »
Next week I will be receiving a Parasound JC-2 preamp. I use very efficient horn loudspeakers so the 400 watt mono JC-1 amplifiers would be an enormous overkill. This leaves me looking for an amp suggestion that would be lower power but perform at the level of the preamp. Any ideas? I like the idea of monoblocks, class A, solid state and balanced. All are negotiable but I'm interested in considering anything that makes sense, even including a kit.

Maybe not. High power brings ease with limitless power. The lessor priced Parasound amps are really good. Nelson Pass and Plinius come to mind as well as Rotel [ a sleeper IMO]. have fun trying.

charles

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2010, 02:40 pm »
First Watt F5 or Pass Labs Aleph J if you must have sand.

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2010, 02:49 pm »
Do you like the sound of the JC1's or are you looking for a change? How about a McCormack DNA .5? Especially with the upgrades it sounds very like the JC1.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2010, 02:55 pm »
The Modwright amps work well with high efficiency speakers. I heard them at the last RMAF with the 97 db efficient Daedalus Audio speakers and the sound was relaxing and smooth, very musical.

Wayne

srb

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2010, 03:13 pm »
Having 'limitless' power is nice for low and medium efficiency loudspeakers, but having too powerful of an amplifier with very high efficiency loudspeakers would not just be 'enormous overkill', but would likely add a higher level of background noise and hiss.

Steve

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2010, 08:07 pm »
Parasound A21
McCormack DNA 250
Audio Research (dual) Ref 210
Ayre V-1xe
Odyssey
Plinius
AVA Fet Valve 550

There are lots of good amps out there.  Chose a well engineered one with "enough" power and be done. 

hifiman5

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2010, 12:29 am »
Consider the conrad johnson LP66S stereo tube amp.  Plenty of watts for your speakers and that golden cj tube sound! :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2010, 12:35 am »

Tom,

I know you said solid state, but a pair of Atma-Sphere M-60's meets all of the other parameters.  I also know from personal experience that it works very well with the JC 2.

FWIW, I have tried or heard almost everything people have listed as possible matches and while they are all nice, I wouldn't put any ahead of the Atma-Sphere amps.

Just a thought.

George

NewBuyer

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2010, 01:56 am »

This might be the obvious suggestion - but have you considered the Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro's?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2010, 01:59 am »
I may not have been clear enough initially. I'm just looking for ideas. Presently I bi-amp through a dbx Drive Rack PA. I'm using a Rowland Capri preamp and a 102 amplifier on my horns with a Perreaux PMF 1850 amp from yesteryear on the woofers. I do not have Parasound JC-1 amps in my posession. They might be the logical choice but I think they are way bigger than I need. The Drive Rack is all XLR so that is why I'm thinking balanced. I still have my Audio Mirror monos so if I were to use tubes, I would use those. I don't really want to bother with tubes at all but I won't consider more than two outputs per channel regardless.
Along with the JC-2 I will be getting two A-23 amps and I may keep them - not sure yet.
I visited Clayton's indecipherable website and gave up after clicking all around in the hope of some semblance of organization. It makes the ClassD website look clear and concise by comparison.
What I am seeking is suggestions for amps that are low power but compete with the JC-1 sonically. Of course better would be better. I don't need to buy anything but I really haven't kept track very much of what's out there. That's where you junkies come in. Show me something that works better in my situation than what I already have.

George - As a former JC-2 owner, what is your assessment of it? Does it live up to the magazine hype?