Memorable Live Shows

K Shep

Re: Memorable Live Shows
« Reply #20 on: 31 Mar 2010, 02:45 pm »
I was eating dinner the bar of a restaurant on Filmore Street.  My friend and I struck a conversation with the two gentlemen sitting next to us.  We were drinking beer and eating oysters.  I bought the gents a beer, they bought us an oyster shooter.  We all stood up to leave and they asked us what we were doing later that night.  Our new friends were a members of Devo, they told us to head to the Warfield theater and ask for them by first name.  Back stage for Devo 1986.

Freedom of Choice...is what you've got!   

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2010, 02:59 pm »
My GF and I were attending a show by local favorite Buzzy Linhart (hippie hitchhiker at beginning of Groove Tube) at small club/bar (prolly 1973) in the Cleveland near westside area.  He had had some success writing for others (You Got to have Friends for Bette Midler) and wrote a song or two for Carly Simon.   Anyway.......we were at a table for 8 right up at the stage, with 2-3 seats vacant.  James Taylor had been playing at a larger venue elsewhere in the city, and during the middle of Buzzy's second set out walks Carly Simon to join him in a song!!!  The place (all 100 of us) went crazy.  But then, Carly finishes her song, waves to the back of the room and she and James Taylor come up and sit next to us at out table!!!  And they break out some champagne and pour each of us a drink!  It was amazing.  We chatted for a minute or so; I think they stayed for one more song then left.  Anyway, very memorable!  :thumb:

greenhouseman

« Reply #22 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:22 pm »
Been very,very fortunate in my life to have witnessed well over 1,000 concerts, most due to the fact that i worked in the business(a rowdie)and had many friends involved as well. There have been many favorites throughout the years, but many of them came unexpectedly. I refer to them as unknowns at the time or those that had little or no exposure. In the late 60's and early 70's bands toured together to promote themselves with nobody holding the title of headliner. Normally they would play weekends with one band headlining one night and switching the following evening. As i look back i am constantly amazed at what a great time it was in live performance history. A few of my favorites( of which many can be found on Wolfgangs Vault -- the best source for that generations live concerts period) are listed below.

Unknowns to most on same bill;
Yes/Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Allman Brothers Band/ J. Geils
Paul Butterfield Blues Band/Steve Miller(Boz Scaggs on guitar)

Just plain great shows;
Doors---Cobo Hall---Detroit, significant for the following----was first performance after the fiasco on the east coast and Morrison must have had redemption on his mind as they played for over 3 hrs and its hard to fathom they they could ever have been any better than they were that evening.

Traffic---Eastown Theatre---Detroit-----1700 seat venue that on one extremely hot, humid summer night i believe in 70 or 71, 3500 people jammed into what essentially was a oven with several hundred more outside hoping just to hear anything. Traffic performed beyond expectations and we all left perfectly baked----riveting

Bruce Springsteen----Michigan Palace (2,000 people max)----early 70's-----absolutely packed and a great glimpse of what was to come----a star was born

Procul Harem----Factory Ballroom --Waterford 1000 crammed into a space fit for 500---all original members including a very rare sight, Matthew Fisher on Organ ( hated touring and to my knowledge came to the states on tour just this one time ) and a soon to depart Robin Trower---Salty Dog is forever etched in memory

Last for now;
Strawberry Fields Festival was a rock music festival held at Mosport Park raceway in Bowmanville, Ontario Canada, about 100 kilometers east of Toronto, between August 7 and the early morning hours of August 10, 1970. Although accounts vary, the audience has been estimated at between 80,000 and 100,000 people. [1] A three day tickets for the festival sold for $15.00.ea.00
Strawberry Festival acts included – (not in order of appearance)

* Procul Harum
    * Jose Feliciano
    * Ten Years After
    * Delaney & Bonnie & Friends
    * Grand Funk Railroad
    * The Youngbloods
    * Jethro Tull
    * Melanie
    * Hog Heaven
    * Freedom Express
    * Leigh Ashford
    * Fat Chance
    * James Ambrose
    * Mountain
    * Cactus
    * Syrinx
    * Crowbar
    * King Biscuit Boy
    * Luke & The Apostles
    * Lighthouse
    * Alice Cooper
    * Sly and the Family Stone

Led Zeppelin was booked to play the festival. The bands' name appears on posters and flyers promoting the event however they failed to show. Leonard Cohen was also listed on the bill but did not appear. The festival concluded at 5:30 AM on Monday August 10 with a performance by Woodstock alumni, Sly & the Family Stone. Other performers who also appeared at the 1969 Woodstock Festival in Bethel, New York included; Melanie, Ten Years After and Mountain.
[edit]
While no one could hide their disappointment that Zeppelin did not appear, the Grand Funk performance on Sat night was perhaps the greatest live performance that i had witnessed up to that point, the crowd reaction was electric throughout and the ending ovation is still among the greatest i have ever heard.

There are so many that this could go on infinitely
Jethro Tull---Pre-Aqualung
Humble Pie---w/Frampton
Delanny and Bonnie---Clapton on guitar
Derek and the Dominoes
Canned Heat
Savoy Brown
Terry Reid --
etc,etc-etc

thanks for this opportunity to relive the past----eric

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2010, 12:19 am »
Albert Collins at a little joint in Fort Worth, Tx owned by a friend;
Son Seals with a horn section at Tramp's in downtown New York;
The John Coltrane Quartet at The Jazz Workshop/Sun Ra at Both/And and Horace Silver with a sextet at Keystone Korner in San Francisco;
Segovia at The Curren Theater also in SF;
Carmen McRae, Patti Smith, Cannonball Adderley, Stevie Ray, Meredith Monk, Chico Hamilton, Albert Manglesdorf, Jefferson Airplane, Captain Beefheart and others at various places.  Been to the Fillmore West quite a few times, saw Big Brother with Janis there, but the most interesting thing going on at the Fillmore was seldom who was on stage, it was the crowds.