Upsets plentiful in the first round of the NCAA tournament

TheChairGuy

Re: Upsets plentiful in the first round of the NCAA tournament
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:16 am »
I really thought Duke looked really good...Baylor is/was a great team and it was well fought throughout. Duke finds different ways to win games - that's what (potential) champions do.

I saw WVU play several times during the year...they're a fine team, but I think Duke plays better, overall. Duke has improved significantly from early in the season - their BIGS are there to rebound, block out, and free up space for the Triple S's: Scheyer, Smith and Singler. They provide this with increasing efficiency.

I see Butler as beat-able....and MSU, too.....but, with two games left to go - any team here can run off two wins and be crowned national champs.

It's been another stellar NCAA so far :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:56 pm »
I really thought Duke looked really good...Baylor is/was a great team and it was well fought throughout. Duke finds different ways to win games - that's what (potential) champions do.

I saw WVU play several times during the year...they're a fine team, but I think Duke plays better, overall. Duke has improved significantly from early in the season - their BIGS are there to rebound, block out, and free up space for the Triple S's: Scheyer, Smith and Singler. They provide this with increasing efficiency.

I see Butler as beat-able....and MSU, too.....but, with two games left to go - any team here can run off two wins and be crowned national champs.

It's been another stellar NCAA so far :thumb:

I'll give you Duke and you give me the other 3 teams for a friendly wager.  I'm willing to go $20 to make it interesting. 

Also, I agree Duke looked good but there were a couple calls at the end of the game that could have gone the other way and might have made a big difference in the outcome.  Haven't watched Duke play much this year.  WV looked dominant the last couple games with their tough D and they are very hot at the moment.  I picked against MSU for the last two games because of the injury but they just keep winning.  Same for Butler.  They don't have the talent these other teams have but they play smart basketball and seem to play more team ball than the team's they have played.

It's a long-shot but I'd love to see the Bulldogs win it all!  It's like a real-life version of the movie Hoosiers (except they are a college team and not as  big an underdog as the guys in the movie).  Either way, I know where I'm going to be next weekend (in front of TV)!

Cheers,

J

TheChairGuy

« Reply #22 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:49 pm »
I'll give you Duke and you give me the other 3 teams for a friendly wager.  I'm willing to go $20 to make it interesting. 

It's just a 'thing' with me, Jack - but I don't gamble (even friendly wagers)

If I don't restrain myself from something as innocuous as a bet, then I'll have little training in restraint for when something really tempting crops up :wink:

John

jackman

« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:52 pm »
It's just a 'thing' with me, Jack - but I don't gamble (even friendly wagers)

If I don't restrain myself from something as innocuous as a bet, then I'll have little training in restraint for when something really tempting crops up :wink:

John

Just pulling your leg.  I am not a gambler and would have a hard time picking a winner in this one.  I think WV will be one of the final 2 teams but my track record has been very dodgy this year! 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 4 Apr 2010, 11:24 pm »
Prediction: Duke 71 - Butler 56

No more Cinderella stories...the shoe no longer fits 8)

Duke, like Bank of America also in North Carolina, is 'too big to fail' :wink:

John

jackman

« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:23 am »
Prediction: Duke 71 - Butler 56

No more Cinderella stories...the shoe no longer fits 8)

Duke, like Bank of America also in North Carolina, is 'too big to fail' :wink:

John

You should've taken my bet!  I'm still picking Butler.  When they win, I will say, "The Butler did it!".  I hope to have a chance!

intamin22

« Reply #26 on: 5 Apr 2010, 03:28 am »
As a current Butler senior, I'd just like to say...

LET'S GO BUTLER!!!!

Also, here is a funny video of my buddy (guy in blue poncho) before the game yesterday, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baukdYvNBzg