« on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:03 pm »
I have 6 cars at the moment.

1984 Mercedes 300 D turbo - 27 mpg

1984 Toyota Tercel 4wd - 30 mpg.

1987 Toyota Camry - 35 mpg

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2 wd - 29 mpg.

2004 Toyota Matrix - 32 mpg

2006 Toyota Prius - 45 mpg.

The above fuel efficiencies and the fact that we combine 4 drivers for a total of about 20,000 miles a year means that our petroleum budget is kept reasonably small. How are you doing in that regard?

Also, the cost to insure all those cars with two male teenagers is only about
$1250 every 6 months through State Farm. Only 4 of the cars have comp/collision. The first two are liability only.

The oldest ones cost us a little for repairs and we lay out about $400/yr. for oil changes but all in all we have kept our personal transportation costs somewhat in check.

I'm interested to know how this compares to other locations, car choices, driving records, etc. What's your experience?

jackman

Re: How's your gas mileage?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:22 pm »
2003 BMW 325i - 28 mpg (mostly highway, I've gotten over 30 on highway without AC on)
2005 Honda Pilot - 18 mpg (mostly city)
2010 Ford Escape - 24 mpg (combined city/highway)

That BMW gets really good mileage.  I always make sure to have a clean air filter and enough air in the tires.  I switched to Michelin tires last year and it gets way better mileage (at least 2-3 mpg) than it did with previous tires (Conti Contact).  The new tires are quieter and smoother riding and they handle just as well. I had no idea tires could make such a big difference. 

The BMW uses synthetic oil and I get it maintained at the dealer so it's a bit more but I've always gone to the dealer for work and I used to expense it (through my job) so I don't have to pay anything out of pocket. 

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:29 pm »
2003 Golf TDI

I average 50mpg with summer fuel and about 10% less with winter fuel. 
In the warm months I mix in B100 to different concentrations.  The motor runs much smoother due to the higher lubricity.   

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:32 pm »
1994 Ford E-150 - 12-15mpg

Soon to be adding a BMW motorcycle, so that will be around 50mpg :)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:34 pm »
I assume the 75 mpg on your Beemer is a typo.

I may raise my level of sophistication to careful tire selection when we need tires again. Problem there is recovering the investment within my lifetime because we drive no vehicle very much. Currently the Benz gets the most miles at around 7500/yr.

You might justly ask how long it will take me to recover the outlay on that Prius. I expect to drive it about 5000 miles per year so, on that basis, the purchase would be hard to justify. However, I needed to replace the old Camry (it's for sale) and I was swayed by the gee whiz factor of all its gizmology and its environmental credentials.

Prius used to have great resale but perhaps no more. It also has a rep for longevity but isn't really old enough to support that claim.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:37 pm »
1977 Jeep Wagoneer - 360 V8, Full time 4WD - 8.63 mpg city

Trek 1100 - infinite mpg

The jeep is my only vehicle but I only drive about 4000 miles per year.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:41 pm »
2009 Smart Fortwo 40MPG

Although the jump from 25MPG to 40MPG and the quick 8-gallon fillup at the station is really nice, it's tempered by that nasty monthly car payment which will be with me for a long time.  *sigh*  At least the hood doesn't randomly come unlatched on this car or burn oil.

If I was smart I'd just move to within biking distance of work and get rid of the damn car entirely, but I'm spoiled.  And work's in kind of a crummy neighborhood.  So I shall continue spitting in the face of our dear Mother Earth and crushing all the gentle woodland creatures with my giant carbon footprint.  Take THAT, stupid Earth!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:44 pm »
40MPG? Giant carbon footprint?

A baby seal dies every time I start up the beast in the morning.

Actually...the '77 Heep wins ;)

:P

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:44 pm »
I assume the 75 mpg on your Beemer is a typo.

I may raise my level of sophistication to careful tire selection when we need tires again. Problem there is recovering the investment within my lifetime because we drive no vehicle very much. Currently the Benz gets the most miles at around 7500/yr.

You might justly ask how long it will take me to recover the outlay on that Prius. I expect to drive it about 5000 miles per year so, on that basis, the purchase would be hard to justify. However, I needed to replace the old Camry (it's for sale) and I was swayed by the gee whiz factor of all its gizmology and its environmental credentials.

Prius used to have great resale but perhaps no more. It also has a rep for longevity but isn't really old enough to support that claim.

Sorry, I mean 75% highway miles not 75 mpg.  Corrected!  Also, my company paid for new tires, brakes and all maintenance on the B'mer so I only went to the dealer armed with my old Corp Amex card (the good old days).  I was going to post a thread in the Pub to see if I could get some advice on this car.  It's a 2003 BMW that I bought new (in '03!) and it looks as perfect as the day I bought it.  It's Silver metallic with black leather seats, winter package (headlight washers, heated power seats, split back seats, etc) and has been the best car I have ever owned.  I've been very obsessive about maintaining the car and have gone to the dealer for everything because I my previous company would foot the bill. I got a company car from my new company and rarely use the BMW, except on weekends.  It gets great mileage and is fun to drive and I've had offers from friends who want to buy it but I hate to part with it.  Going to start a thread with pictures to see what people think.  Should I sell it (and put some $ towards a really cool road bike and new floors) and clear up a much needed spot in my garage or keep it because I really love the car.  I have never loved a car like this in my life, I've hated a few but never loved any until I got the BMW.   :scratch:

Lastly, you won't have any problems selling the Prius.  I just like rattling your cage on the Toyo thread but those Prius cars are very cool and techno marvels.  They are also very peppy, reliable and have lots of storage space and surprisingly fun to drive.  Best hybrid ever made, so far.  :thumb:

PS - New bike I am thinking about getting:

Lyndon

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:47 pm »
NathanM,
I will try to use my bike to do the 16 total mile commute for the rest of my teaching year. But can't do it all the time.  I love this hauler bike from Surly.
The Big Dummy!

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy_complete/

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:50 pm »
2008 Infiniti G35X - 15-16MPG around town 23MPG highway, lower in the winter
2001 Toyota Sienna - 18MPG around town, 24MPG highway, lower in winter

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:54 pm »

The above fuel efficiencies and the fact that we combine 4 drivers for a total of about 20,000 miles a year means that our petroleum budget is kept reasonably small. How are you doing in that regard?

$1250 every 6 months through State Farm. Only 4 of the cars have comp/collision. The first two are liability only.

The oldest ones cost us a little for repairs and we lay out about $400/yr. for oil changes but all in all we have kept our personal transportation costs somewhat in check.

I'm interested to know how this compares to other locations, car choices, driving records, etc. What's your experience?

Are those highway miles, city miles, or mixed?  Where do you live? 

I get about 24 mpg in my Saab in mainly city driving and typically get around 30 mpg on the highway.  The car also has 230 hp and 258 foot pounds of torque.  I could get better mileage if I drove differently.  For instance, I could be in fifth gear on many of the roads I drive, say 1.5k-2.0k rpm, but that would mean I wouldn't have the power for evasive maneuvers, so I keep it in fourth gear instead.  I do the same on the highway. 

It costs me around $1,300/year for a 2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 1987 Jeep (aka Heep) Comanche and a 2006 Subaru Outback.  But I live in CT. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2010, 06:11 pm »
That mileage I listed is not closely monitored on all the cars. My son's Benz is actual average as is the figure on the Camry. The Matrix is very close but not precise. The Prius has been with me less than a week but the figure I listed is a well established average, and the monitor on the dash is showing higher than that so far. The Tercel and the truck estimates. Both are 5 speed manual .

Our driving is about 2/3 highway. We live in Fruita, Co. and go to Grand Junction for college and groceries. It's 12-13 miles from home with 7 miles on I-70 and another 3 on a 55 mph state hiway. The last couple miles are low traffic, strip mall kind of road with traffic lights.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2010, 06:14 pm »
'03 BMW 525i.  On a trip from Central Missouri to Oshkosh, WI. last summer I got EXACTLY 31mpg at around 75mph.  30.8 out and 31.2 back.

In town, low 20s, but I have never checked closely.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2010, 06:28 pm »
My 2008 Hyundai Accent gets 33-34 MPG and I'm a big enough nerd that I track every tank on www.fueleconomy.gov

They have a feature that allows you to enter each fill-up and track each tank of gas.   I also have my wife's vehicle on there but getting her to save her receipts is like pulling teeth.   The Dodge Minivan gets about 20-21 MPG when I'm able to get good data.   

All of our driving is short trips and up/down the mountain.   We don't even have an Interstate within a 2.5 hour drive.    I drive about 8000-9000 miles a year.    The few times I've made it out to I-5 for Interstate driving I get about 37 MPG in my Accent.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2010, 07:37 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Thebiker

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2010, 06:37 pm »
The wife commutes from the SE Valley of Phoenix to the NE Valley, @ 100mile round trip driving a Toyota Solara Convertible (yes Toyota) and the trip computer reports 29.4 to 29.8 MPG consistently. 8)  That's a V6 w/5 speed auto.  Blows my mind.

The Harley is more like 40mpg.

Walt 

mcullinan

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2010, 07:00 pm »
22 -25 mpg on my SICK-ly fast Mazdaspeed 3! Sick!
But am stuck in Long Island traffic most of the time doing 25mph anyway ;)
M

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2010, 07:04 pm »
37 mpg with a 2009 Toyota Corolla, doing about 40,000 miles per year in rural Michigan driving.  According to Consumers Union this is one of the cheapest cars to own/operate.  It's reasonably comfortable, reliable, and I'm not worried about the recalls (they've already supposedly fixed it).

27 mpg with a 2009 Subaru Outback 2.5L, doing about 25,000 miles per year in rural Michigan driving.  Visibility is great in the winter (fans, rear defrost, extra front wiper defrost, and wipers all work great), and of course it's AWD, but road feel via steering wheel and seat is practically non-existent (which might keep me from being a typical Subaru dare devil).

Now that I'm north of 50 I let the dealers do all the maintenance, especially the Toyota dealer (one of best places I've ever dealt with), so no special oil/etc.  I don't skimp on tires and buy them based on ratings for wear and handling in snow/ice.

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2010, 07:23 pm »

I don't believe one of your mileage specs. The real fact is, that is what your cars are capable of in ideal circumstances in long distance voyages. The real numbers are more likely 1/3 the values you have quoted.

Wayner

mfsoa

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2010, 07:30 pm »
35-36 MPG tops in my Honda Fit (auto w/ paddle shifters), mostly highway miles.

I get better mileage when there is some traffic due to drafting. All alone on the highway at 70 w/ cruise I get worse mileage than at 75+ w/ all the other commuters. It's a tall, light car so the wind resistance really factors in.

2000 BMW 323 wagon 5sp gets maybe 26 MPG mixed driving but we just had a major tune up done and expect this to go up a lttle.

Mike