Best Audio Cables in the World!!! Guaranteed!!! UPDATE: A.C. TOUR ON THE WAY!!!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Best Audio Cables in the World!!! Guaranteed!!!
« Reply #60 on: 22 Mar 2010, 04:03 am »
Joe, thanks for the kind comments, it's been a long time. I have a whole new line of cables, much different from the ones I made you a long time ago. I would be interested in your opinion on the new line.

I now have 15 people interested in listening to my cables, so I think I will go ahead with the A.C. tour. I will talk to my partners tomorrow and let you all know when I will ship the cables out to the first person on the list. From there you will be responsible for shipping the cables to the next person on the list, etc.

I will be sending RCA interconnects, speaker wire, RCA digital, and power cable.
Cool.  I'm looking forward to it. 

Dave

smargo

« Reply #61 on: 22 Mar 2010, 12:12 pm »

I will be sending RCA interconnects, speaker wire, RCA digital, XLR interconnect, and power cable.

and how long should the 1st person give the cables to run in - 100 hrs - less - more - should the 2nd person give the cables less hours for his critique? - do the speaker wires take longer to run in then the interconnects or the digital cable?

will the cables be run in at the factory so to speak?

Are there any rules that the testers should follow before making statements - should they say what king of amp (solid state or tubes) they have - should they be saying that their main source is a (turntable or cd player)

Not trying to be smart - just want to know the rules before someone makes a judgement.

thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: 22 Mar 2010, 01:06 pm »
cables less hours for his critique? thanks

cables less hours for her or his critique?  :)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #63 on: 22 Mar 2010, 01:13 pm »
i am interested in this.  but, to be honest, only on an intellectual level.  there is no way i could seriously take part in something like this and expect any meaningful results.  why?  well, let's see.  fono ic between cartridge & fono stge.  ic's between fono preamp and preamp.  ic's between tuna and preamp.  ic's between second tuna and tube buffer; ic's between tube buffer & preamp.  75 ohm ic from cd transport to dac.  ic's from dac to tube buffer.  ic's from tube buffer to preamp.  ic's from tube preamp to ldr remote attenuator.  ic's from ldr attenuator to deqx dsp/x-over.  ic's from deqx to sub and mid-bass amps, and to tube buffer for full-range amps.  then, there's the ic's to/from my dbx 3bx to my pre's tape loop, which gets used every so often, for compressed media.   :scratch:

still interested in hearing other's thoughts.  tho, i am personally biased, and usually look for either used alpha-core tq2-ag or micropurl-ag, or look for the solid-silver braided kimber-cable clones sold on ebay for ~$60/pair shipped...  these cables have reached an acceptable quality/transparency/neutrality level, imo, will work w/most any system, and won't break the bank...  nagy's cables, seem to be priced reasonably enough, tho...

ymmv,

doug s.

BobM

« Reply #64 on: 22 Mar 2010, 01:28 pm »
It would be best overall if the cables going out were put on a cable cooker for some serious time to avoid problems with burn in and such. An even playing ground so to speak. Remember, the LI boys are all close together so these can be passed around fairly easy in our neck of the woods.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #65 on: 22 Mar 2010, 02:05 pm »
The cables will be broken in before they go out. So no need to worry about that. To the people on the list, how long would each one of you be interested in keeping the cable? I'm guessing a couple of days to a week maybe?

doug s. braided cables are a complete nonsense. As far as transferring low level signal, they are some of the worst. Large capacitance, poor shielding against EMI, RFI, etc., etc., etc.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #66 on: 22 Mar 2010, 02:13 pm »
The cables will be broken in before they go out. So no need to worry about that. To the people on the list, how long would each one of you be interested in keeping the cable? I'm guessing a couple of days to a week maybe?

doug s. braided cables are a complete nonsense. As far as transferring low level signal, they are some of the worst. Large capacitance, poor shielding against EMI, RFI, etc., etc., etc.
my experience has been the opposite, at least when talking about simple 3 or 4 wire braid.  while i will get the purled alpha-core cabling mentioned, when i can find it, i have had excellent results w/the other cabling i have used.

ymmv,

doug s.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #67 on: 22 Mar 2010, 02:41 pm »
 If the cables are broken in then a week should be enough time. I suggest that the CDP or DAC be used for the listening session. So we can compare notes.

charles

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #68 on: 22 Mar 2010, 03:14 pm »
Hi Norbert,

I'm always open minded about new things. I would be more than willing to compare the new design to my current reference cables, Liveline's by Acoustic Systems, International. They are Franck Changs design and so far I haven't preferred another cable since bringing them in.

I can't say they will be the best for every system but most people that have heard them prefer them over what they currently have. Not everyone mind you but most. As I stated before, there is no one cable that's going to be the best for everyone regardless of how good it is. Until our new preamp gets done and I get my unit back in my system I'm not going to be doing any evaluations. I have to get my system back to it's reference state (what I know) before I'm ready to evaluate any other gear, but I look forward to trying the new design out.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #69 on: 22 Mar 2010, 03:38 pm »
Joe, just for a point of reference, how much are Frank's cables? You don't have the prices on your website. Does Frank's company have a website?

Thanks,

Gary

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #70 on: 22 Mar 2010, 03:55 pm »
http://www.stereotimes.com/cable063009.shtml

Acoustic System Liveline Cables

RCA Interconnect per Meter $995.00
XLR Interconnect per Meter $1,450.00
Power cord 1.8 Meter $995.00
Speaker cable  2.4 Meter $1,750.00

sorry, while i believe quality cabling is worthwhile, i must respectfully submit that, imo, cabling at this price is a complete joke and a complete waste of money.  (the info on this cabling stimulated me to resurrect a thread about this mfr's acoustic resonators - another complete joke/waste, imo: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61258.msg753791#msg753791 )

ymmv,

doug s.

Zero

« Reply #71 on: 22 Mar 2010, 04:02 pm »
Funny. Acoustic Systems produces the best sounding cable that I've heard thus far.

NagysAudio

« Reply #72 on: 22 Mar 2010, 04:07 pm »
I've heard the Acoustic System Liveline Cables and will put my cables against them anytime! And my cables cost 6+ times less!!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #73 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:58 pm »
I've got to say that I am always amazed to see cooking-grade heat shrink tubing on $1000 interconnects (the Acoustic System Livelines). For that money I would presume I am paying in large measure for cosmetics, and heat shrink just does not cut it.

The market seems to have been conditioned to accept it, though, as I see no other indications of "consumer resistance".

I congratulate NagysAudio on their more realistic pricing - much reduced from 2006 when they first popped up.

I wonder if their RCA digital links have 75 ohm connectors and, if so, where they sourced them. I understand this to be a weak point of the S/PDIF specification - the impedance mis-match at the connectors.

mclsound

« Reply #74 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:21 pm »
You may want to send a separate batch to me in Ontario because I know several Canadians who will try them.

Zero

« Reply #75 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:28 pm »
I've heard the Acoustic System Liveline Cables and will put my cables against them anytime! And my cables cost 6+ times less!

Well, that would be a story worth telling.  :thumb:

NagysAudio

« Reply #76 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:26 pm »
Some are closer than others, but no RCA connector is 75 ohms. The shape of the center and outer conductors and spacing will always prevent them from being true 75 ohm connectors. It will never happen. However, the cable can be terminated like an RF cable, with a load 74.1 ohm resistor(s). 74.1 ohm load will give you a true consumer 75 ohm interface. There are benefits and drawbacks to this, so there's no right, or wrong way of doing an RCA digital cable.

RCA interconnects, XLR, and speaker wire can also be terminated like this. However, in a speaker wire, it's better to do a Zobel filter (resistor/capacitor). If one is to use some exotic fancy audiophile cable for speaker wire (coax, braided, loose conductors, etc.), then Zobel is almost a must as there will be nasty reflections even all the way down to the audio band. But surprisingly, a simple twisted pair of (14awg, 12awg, 10awg) conductors don't need a Zobel network as the reflections happen at extremely high frequencies.   

smargo

« Reply #77 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:35 pm »
Some are closer than others, but no RCA connector is 75 ohms. The shape of the center and outer conductors and spacing will always prevent them from being true 75 ohm connectors. It will never happen. However, the cable can be terminated like an RF cable, with a load 74.1 ohm resistor(s). 74.1 ohm load will give you a true consumer 75 ohm interface. There are benefits and drawbacks to this, so there's no right, or wrong way of doing an RCA digital cable.

RCA interconnects, XLR, and speaker wire can also be terminated like this. However, in a speaker wire, it's better to do a Zobel filter (resistor/capacitor). If one is to use some exotic fancy audiophile cable for speaker wire (coax, braided, loose conductors, etc.), then Zobel is almost a must as there will be nasty reflections even all the way down to the audio band. But surprisingly, a simple twisted pair of (14awg, 12awg, 10awg) conductors don't need a Zobel network as the reflections happen at extremely high frequencies.

is there a telephone number on the website - to speak to someone about ordering?

thanks

Wayne1

« Reply #78 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:06 pm »
Some are closer than others, but no RCA connector is 75 ohms.

You might want to take a closer look at these connectors.

http://www.wbtusa.com/pdf/0110.pdf

http://www.wbtusa.com/pdf/0210cu.pdf

NagysAudio

« Reply #79 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm »
I'm familiar with the WBTs. I don't like them for a variety of reasons, for one they have a single point outer contact, which means poor shielding and two, they have a poor dielectric. To top it all, they're super expensive!!!

I can also guarantee that they only measure 75 ohms under extremely certain conditions. The negatives outweigh the positives. Plus, they're not even made to RCA dimensions, so it's not an RCA connector. Just because something can fit in an RCA jack, doesn't make it an RCA connector. You can stick bare wire in there and it'll work.

I'd rather use properly shielded RCAs with Teflon dielectric. If I really want, or feel like there's a need to make it perfectly 74.1 ohm, I would just terminate it like an RF cable.

Best way for audiophiles would be to replace the RCA female connectors on their transports and DACs and install SMA/BNC connectors. Then I can just sell you my cable with SMA/BNC connectors on each end. This would be a perfect solution.