Best Audio Cables in the World!!! Guaranteed!!! UPDATE: A.C. TOUR ON THE WAY!!!

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
Re: Best Audio Cables in the World!!! Guaranteed!!!
« Reply #200 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:13 pm »
werd - My approach is to make the very best cables in the world. I don't and wouldn't use 18 AWG for my power cords, I only used that as an example. 14 AWG does indeed sound better. However, I would never use anything larger than 12 AWG either. Most houses are wired with 14-12 AWG, anything bigger is a waste of time and would not offer better results, that's a fact.

I still believe that it's a waste of time for manufacturers to install 20 amp IECs for consumer electronics. Do they expect that the person purchasing will also install a 20 amp line in their house? Most people don't have that and if you use a 20 amp IEC with 14 AWG power cord and 15 amp line in the house, then what's the point?

NagysAudio

« Reply #201 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:15 pm »
mdconnelly - I see your point, but if only the IEC is 20 amps and the power cable/male plug is not, then what's the point? If I ever offer a 20 amp cable, it will really be a 20 amp cable, not just anything with a 20 amp IEC. I currently use 14 AWG power cable.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #202 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:12 pm »
Could I sign up for RCA cables, 1 meter, .5 meter 2nd choice.

Gene

Phil A

« Reply #203 on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:18 am »
I have followed this thread with interest, since in my experience wire and cable do make a difference in the sound of high quality high end audio systems.

I found a coax cable that matches the Nagy Audio criteria at:

www.micro-coax.com

Their UFA125A Utiflex cable is available with a stranded silver plated copper center conductor, teflon insulation, silver plated copper tape shield, and rugged outer jacket, spec'd to 50 GHz.  It retails in bulk for under $1 per foot.

One might terminate this cable with the Nagy recommended RCA plugs and enjoy "the best cables in the world" for about $20 per pair, or less.

Brian Cheney
Pres VMPS Ribbon
www.vmpsaudio.com

By the way, I E-Mailed my local Micro-Coax sales rep and they don't sell spools - just cable assemblies with the connectors shown on their site.  He offered to find me something with similar specs that can be purchased in spools and I said go ahead.  So we'll see if he gets back to me.

John151

« Reply #204 on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:32 am »
Nagys -  I have read some posts here and there that suggested ICs needed to be at least a certain length, and that 1 Meter is not not ideal.  Could you comment on the affects of longer vs. shorter IC cable lengths?

gerald porzio

« Reply #205 on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:40 am »
Just because you read it here doesn't mean it's correct. Most forums spread as much misinfo as correct info. I'm of the shorter is better school & a fan of 1/2 meter ICs wherever practical.

NagysAudio

« Reply #206 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:19 am »
John151 - For audio interconnects the length is not critical.

For a digital cable, I would personally recommend 1.5m for many different reasons. The answer to your question and reasoning behind it is incredibly complex. You need to study electronic engineering, or do a lot of research on the following topics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_propagation_speed

But to put it in simple words and give one example, a digital cable of less then 1.5m can possibly increase jitter.

gerald porzio - There's no degradation in signal's quality between 0.5m and 1m/1.5m in interconnect cables. I don't like 0.5m cables because they're too short in most cases and extremely annoying if you have to pull any equipment out, etc. I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to use anything shorter than 1m.

JakeJ

« Reply #207 on: 30 Mar 2010, 08:05 am »
Hi Norbert,

I see I made the tour list.  Thank you.  I also see two lists of tour participants, first list is in post #1, the original post.  I also see a list in post #11 on the first page of this thread.  Which one is the correct and up to date list?  Just trying to get a handle on when I can expect to have my turn to audition.

MaxCast -
In your post, #164, you asked to start a new thread with our findings in the General Audio Industry News circle, is that correct?  Shouldn't we start one in the Critic's Circle's child board for Cable Reviews?  I thought the GAIN circle was for industry participants to make product or event announcements.  Or is the point for Nagys Audio to start a new thread and we respond to it with our findings?  Sorry for my confusion.

Best to all,
JakeJ

gerald porzio

« Reply #208 on: 30 Mar 2010, 11:55 am »
I prefer 1/2 meter because I have easy access to the back of the rack since it has 5" casters. It neatens things up. I also have 1 meter ICs where required.

MaxCast

« Reply #209 on: 30 Mar 2010, 01:23 pm »
Hi Norbert,

MaxCast -
In your post, #164, you asked to start a new thread with our findings in the General Audio Industry News circle, is that correct?  Shouldn't we start one in the Critic's Circle's child board for Cable Reviews?  I thought the GAIN circle was for industry participants to make product or event announcements.  Or is the point for Nagys Audio to start a new thread and we respond to it with our findings?  Sorry for my confusion.

Best to all,
JakeJ

I suggested the other circle because it can be used for a tour.  A separate tour thread with just the members involved may make it easier to follow, that all.  This thread is fine too.

NagysAudio

« Reply #210 on: 30 Mar 2010, 01:50 pm »
JakeJ - The correct list is on the first page.

NagysAudio

« Reply #211 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:26 pm »
The cables are now on their way to BobM!! Shipped them this morning via USPS Priority Mail.

The package includes the following: 1m RCA interconnects, 1.5m RCA interconnects, 1m XLR interconnects, 1.5m XLR interconnects, 1m RCA digital, 2m AC power cable, 2m AC power cable, and 15ft. speaker wires.

srb

« Reply #212 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:33 pm »
The package includes the following: 1m RCA interconnects, 1.5m RCA interconnects, 1m XLR interconnects, 1.5m XLR interconnects, 1m RCA digital, 2m AC power cable, 2m AC power cable, and 15ft. speaker wires.

But you previously said:
For a digital cable, I would personally recommend 1.5m for many different reasons.

But to put it in simple words and give one example, a digital cable of less then 1.5m can possibly increase jitter.

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #213 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:36 pm »

You previously said
Steve

:deadhorse:

Haven't you read the tittle of this thread?   :lol:

NagysAudio

« Reply #214 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:44 pm »
srb - I already had a 1m digital cable on hand, so that's why I'm sending it. No need to make a 1.5m for the tour. The 1m will give people a very good idea of what the digital cable sounds like. There are some possible advantages of a 1.5m in certain systems, etc. I say and said POSSIBLE in my previous response too.

If someone decides to purchase a digital cable however, I would recommend going with a 1.5m personally.

viggen

« Reply #215 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:10 pm »
Sorry if I missed this if it is already mentioned in the thread but should the people who are listed to try the cables out be in some kind of geographical order?

Also, Nagy, what is your take on Eichmann bullet plugs? 

BobM

« Reply #216 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:13 pm »
The cables are now on their way to BobM!! Shipped them this morning via USPS Priority Mail.

Cool - I will not be able to do anything with the XLR's, but I will certainly be checking out all the others. Were these cables burned in (please say yes) before you shipped them? If not then my testing will certinly be more limited since I can't burn them all in all by myself.

NagysAudio

« Reply #217 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:51 pm »
viggen - The list does have some people clumped in certain regions, those who indicated where they're from anyway. But for the most part, it's whoever signed up first.

Regarding the Eichmann bullet plugs... I don't like them. Just as much as I don't like the new WBT RCAs. Any connector with a single point outer conductor is complete nonsense and has very poor shielding. On top of that, they use poor dielectric. At $15-$50+ per connector!! I would expect something with proper shielding and Teflon dielectric.

BobM - The cables have been pre-aged/burned in a little over the weekend. I myself don't believe that cables take hundreds of hours to burn in like some audiophiles do. I do agree that cables can slightly change sonically when connected, right after assembly. But usually after 2 or so hours they're good to go. My advice to you would be this, let them play for a few hours before you do any serious listening and you will get the full intended effect.

audio.bill

Any initial impressions on the cables yet, from BobM? The circle is anxiously awaiting everyone's evaluation of these cables! Seriously, thanks in advance to all involved for your time and consideration in evaluating them, and special thanks to Norbert for supporting the tour with his products.  :thumb:

BobM

I've got some initial impressions, but I'm having a few guys over tomorrow (Saturday) for a group audition and some fun with swapping. Then they get handed off to Mike C.

So you will just have to wait a tad longer so I don't pollute the pool for Saturday with any early thoughts. I think we'll start a separate thread in the Cable Reviews section just to keep it all clean and neat and easy to find in the future.