Best Audio Cables in the World!!! Guaranteed!!! UPDATE: A.C. TOUR ON THE WAY!!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Best Audio Cables in the World!!! Guaranteed!!!
« Reply #180 on: 27 Mar 2010, 11:07 pm »
If anyone can show me a single piece of equipment that would need a 20 amp power cable, I will be more than glad to add one to my cable line.

A McCormack DNA-500....in fact....BobM owns one...he's on your tour list.

srb

« Reply #181 on: 27 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm »
A number of people on AudioCircle have Torus 20A power conditioners plugged into 20A dedicated outlets in their home systems, and some have several amplifiers plugged into them.

And there are a number of very high power amplifiers that have 20A IEC connectors with associated internal 20A fusing or circuit breakers.

However Mr. Nagys is unwilling to accept any facts or truths from anyone that would contradict his opinioned databank of information.  It's just not going to happen.

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #182 on: 28 Mar 2010, 12:38 am »
Well you listed a bunch of power conditioners, some of them used in pro set ups, what answer did you expect?

You honestly think that a Bryston 14BSST needs a 20 amp power cable? In that case it will also need a dedicated 20 amp circuit in your house. I've sold Brystons for years and sometimes even ran them through 18 gauge extension cords without any problems whatsoever.

I own one.  It uses a 20 amp IEC as does the 6BSST I use for the center and rears.  I have the 15 amp version of the amp (they made a 20 amp version too) so all you need is 14 gauge to pass the 15 amps but you still need a 20 amp IEC.

Phil A

« Reply #183 on: 28 Mar 2010, 12:42 am »
A number of people on AudioCircle have Torus 20A power conditioners plugged into 20A dedicated outlets in their home systems, and some have several amplifiers plugged into them.

And there are a number of very high power amplifiers that have 20A IEC connectors with associated internal 20A fusing or circuit breakers.

However Mr. Nagys is unwilling to accept any facts or truths from anyone that would contradict his opinioned databank of information.  It's just not going to happen.

Steve

I also have a 20 amp Torus.  The circuit is a 20 amp circuit with just one receptacle in it.  The builder only used 14 gauge wire from the receptacle to the circuit breaker.

I have a friend who worked at a high end shop and I did all his deliveries/installs with him for over a 5 yr. period.  He had a Bryston 9BSST and tried using a 16 gauge cord with it and noticed issues with dynamics.

mclsound

« Reply #184 on: 28 Mar 2010, 01:01 am »
mclsound - The ones I'm sending on tour will have rhodium plated Cardas 7mm spades. If anyone wants to purchase the speaker cable, I have silver spring bananas, and extremely high quality gold plated locking bananas. Pricing is the same regardless.

Now as for 20 amp power cables... I thought about them, I can certainly make them (at a pretty good price increase due to cable and especially IEC connector which would cost 3-4 times as much), but I see absolutely no reason to do so. What possible amp could a person have that he/she would need a 20 amp cable?

If anyone can show me a single piece of equipment that would need a 20 amp power cable, I will be more than glad to add one to my cable line.
thanks.
I beleive the 14bsst has only a 2kv transformer where as a Classe ca-400 has a 2.9kv and a Krell ksa-300s has a 5kv transformer(this one may fit the bill???)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #185 on: 28 Mar 2010, 02:12 am »
Just so some of you know how pricing works in the audio industry... Lets take the above example of Micro Coax interconnects. Total investment in parts is roughly $50. As a manufacturer, you want to make about double the cost, because you have about 2 hours, or so of your time invested in assembling, testing, etc. So you'd have to sell them to a dealer for $100 a pair. 99.9% of the time, the markup in the audio industry is also 50%. Therefore the dealer will sell your product for $200 a pair.

a small point - but isn't that 100%, not 50% markup?

gerald porzio

« Reply #186 on: 28 Mar 2010, 02:59 am »
That's why everybody & his bro. is in the cable biz. Most wouldn't know what test equiptment looks like, much less own any. There are exceptions, like Nagy.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #187 on: 28 Mar 2010, 06:20 am »
srb - I understand where you're coming from, but there are just not that many amplifiers on the market with 20 amp IECs. Even the most powerful amplifiers you mentioned would not draw more than 5 amps if ran continuously at max output. Not a very likely scenario. Most of these manufacturers just want to differentiate and be fancy with the 20 amp connectors. It gives a false sense that they are extremely powerful.

With that being said... If there's enough demand, I will make a 20 amp cable.

Russell Dawkins - I stand corrected.

gerald porzio - cables, or tube equipment.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #188 on: 28 Mar 2010, 01:35 pm »
srb - I understand where you're coming from, but there are just not that many amplifiers on the market with 20 amp IECs. Even the most powerful amplifiers you mentioned would not draw more than 5 amps if ran continuously at max output. Not a very likely scenario. Most of these manufacturers just want to differentiate and be fancy with the 20 amp connectors. It gives a false sense that they are extremely powerful.

I don't think that all of the vendors necessarily believe that their product will require 20 amps continuously (power conditioners are certainly capable of that), but rather that there could be brief bursts.  Also, many believe that the 20 amp connectors are superior to the 15 amp connectors in terms of forming and holding a connection.

My Furman Ref IT-20 power conditioner uses a 20 amp cord and requires a 20 amp dedicated line.  My Atma-Sphere MA-1 amps (which use 500 watts each as soon as they are turned on) use a regular 15 amp cord.

George

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #189 on: 28 Mar 2010, 01:41 pm »
Charles, I will write what to expect from my cables and what to listen for when I send them out. I'm also thinking of starting a new thread. Please give me a few days to formulate my thoughts.

Sounds good.

charles

smargo

« Reply #190 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:17 pm »
Im sure if the first say - 1 or 2 or 3 people just think the cable is ok - not great - do you think the others on the list are really going to want to audition it?

If the cable gets really good reviews from the 1st 2nd or third person - then im sure people are going to want to buy it - without an audition as well.

its the coffee in me!

BobM

« Reply #191 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:58 pm »
A McCormack DNA-500....in fact....BobM owns one...he's on your tour list.

Yeah, I won't be able to check out the power cord on my amp, but it will be tried on the CD player and maybe the phono stage too.

But I'm mostly interested in the interconnects and speaker cables anyway.

turkey

« Reply #192 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:16 pm »
Well you listed a bunch of power conditioners, some of them used in pro set ups, what answer did you expect?

You honestly think that a Bryston 14BSST needs a 20 amp power cable? In that case it will also need a dedicated 20 amp circuit in your house. I've sold Brystons for years and sometimes even ran them through 18 gauge extension cords without any problems whatsoever.

I think I respect the engineering prowess of the people at Bryston just a wee bit more than I trust yours...

turkey

« Reply #193 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:20 pm »
That's why everybody & his bro. is in the cable biz. Most wouldn't know what test equiptment looks like, much less own any. There are exceptions, like Nagy.

So you've met him and held up test equipment for him to identify? How many did he get right? :-)

mdconnelly

« Reply #194 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:34 pm »

Whether an amp *needs* a 20a circuit or connector is not really the issue here.  If the amp has a 20a IEC connector, you need a power cord with a 20a connector to use it.  I've got a McCormack DNA-500 amp as well.

werd

« Reply #195 on: 29 Mar 2010, 08:26 pm »

Hello

Bryston does not make 20 amp versions of their amps any more or at least in the the 14Bsst2. Also those 20 amp Torus conditioners are are 240 volt at 10 amps on each hot.

The question of running 18 gauge isn't about functionality,of course it will work. Its about sonics, bigger gauge is more responsive which results in a better sound stage.

You seem to offer the "if it works its good enough" approach to selling. which is fine but many others here are looking for more attention to how their music sounds in their listening environment. After all its a hobby.

srb

« Reply #196 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:09 pm »
Also those 20 amp Torus conditioners are are 240 volt at 10 amps on each hot.

http://www.toruspower.com/rm20.htm

werd

« Reply #197 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:15 pm »

http://www.toruspower.com/rm20.htm

Ok i i guess you can get the 20/120 versions of those too. Thought they only had 20 amp in the 240 volt. hehe

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #198 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:53 pm »
mdconnelly - Fair enough. I will investigate 20 amp IEC connectors. Lets see how the tour goes. If it goes well, I will add a 20 amp power cable to my line, so people can use it for their power conditioners and DNA 500's. My only concern is that it will be fairly thick (12 AWG per conductor) and not very flexible. I'm really not a fan of any audio cables with a large diameter. I will see what the options are and post back.

turkey - I'm sure you wouldn't even have a clue on where to begin in using a Tektronix.

One more cable to make, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the package out to BobM tomorrow afternoon.

mdconnelly

« Reply #199 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm »
Norbert,

Many if not most power cords are made with a choice between a 15a IEC termination or 20a IEC termination on the component end.  I take it from your comment that you feel you need to change the construction of your power cord to accommodate a 20a IEC termination on the amp end.  Is that right?   What is the wire gage you normally use in your power cables?