Best Audio Cables in the World!!! Guaranteed!!! UPDATE: A.C. TOUR ON THE WAY!!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Best Audio Cables in the World!!! Guaranteed!!!
« Reply #160 on: 26 Mar 2010, 02:23 pm »
  Nagy Ok, here is a question. How do your cables sound in your system ? Do they have a colored sound : bright ? dark ? warm ? Are they neutral ? Is there added sibilance ? Is the bass tight and focused or colored ? Do they bring the soundstage forward ? Are they over detailed ? Do they add weight or are they thin sounding ?
  Before you guys go off on this IMO it is important to know what character if at all they have. :eyebrows:

charles
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2010, 12:22 pm by rollo »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #161 on: 27 Mar 2010, 12:24 pm »
   Still waiting.  :scratch:

charles

evan1

« Reply #162 on: 27 Mar 2010, 12:38 pm »
Lets get on with the tour .

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #163 on: 27 Mar 2010, 04:57 pm »
Charles, I will write what to expect from my cables and what to listen for when I send them out. I'm also thinking of starting a new thread. Please give me a few days to formulate my thoughts.

MaxCast

« Reply #164 on: 27 Mar 2010, 05:27 pm »
Charles, I will write what to expect from my cables and what to listen for when I send them out. I'm also thinking of starting a new thread. Please give me a few days to formulate my thoughts.
A new thread for the Best Cable World Tour can go here.  :D
Please do, this one went not so good.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=122.0

I may have missed it, but what is being toured?  One package with many cables or many tours with one cable?

TONEPUB

« Reply #165 on: 27 Mar 2010, 06:10 pm »
As the last set of your cables, which were also claimed to be "the best cables in the world" were only average, what's changed this time?

Also, what are you using for a reference system and software that has lead you to this determination?

That's a pretty big claim to make.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #166 on: 27 Mar 2010, 06:22 pm »
I have followed this thread with interest, since in my experience wire and cable do make a difference in the sound of high quality high end audio systems.

I found a coax cable that matches the Nagy Audio criteria at:

www.micro-coax.com

Their UFA125A Utiflex cable is available with a stranded silver plated copper center conductor, teflon insulation, silver plated copper tape shield, and rugged outer jacket, spec'd to 50 GHz.  It retails in bulk for under $1 per foot.

One might terminate this cable with the Nagy recommended RCA plugs and enjoy "the best cables in the world" for about $20 per pair, or less.

Brian Cheney
Pres VMPS Ribbon
www.vmpsaudio.com

Brian Cheney

« Reply #167 on: 27 Mar 2010, 06:44 pm »
Another micro-coax product that fits the bill is their Utiflex UFA294C, spec'd to 18 GHz.  It is about twice as thick as the UFA125A.  I would say the 294C is the coax Nagy is using, unless he claims otherwise.

NagysAudio

« Reply #168 on: 27 Mar 2010, 07:04 pm »
MaxCast - What do you mean it didn't do so good? I think this thread is doing excellent!!

TONEPUB - Reference system is Goldmund Logos1 passive speakers, Goldmund Mimesis 6 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 3 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 7 preamplifier, Goldmund SRCD CD player... I have no idea what software you 're talking about?

Brian Cheney - Micro Coax makes great products, but that is not the cable I decided to use, but it certainly does match my criteria. Your statement that these type of cables can be made for $20, or less shows ignorance. The 4 needed connectors would cost more than $20. Plus cable, Techflex, heat shrink, shipping costs from at least 2 different suppliers and you're already at $50, or more.

On top of that, impedance matching, termination, resistor network (if needed) are all critical in making precision cables. Unless you know what you're doing it'll never sound as good.

But yes, you could probably make a pair of Micro Coax interconnects for $50-$60 a pair. They'll be good and above most audiophile nonsense cables out there, but they won't be great.

NagysAudio

« Reply #169 on: 27 Mar 2010, 07:11 pm »
Just so some of you know how pricing works in the audio industry... Lets take the above example of Micro Coax interconnects. Total investment in parts is roughly $50. As a manufacturer, you want to make about double the cost, because you have about 2 hours, or so of your time invested in assembling, testing, etc. So you'd have to sell them to a dealer for $100 a pair. 99.9% of the time, the markup in the audio industry is also 50%. Therefore the dealer will sell your product for $200 a pair.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #170 on: 27 Mar 2010, 07:24 pm »
You're welcome to send me a pair of your 1m RCA or XLR (preferred) interconnects.  I will compare them to the four brands of superpremium IC's I have on hand (all retailing for more than $900/1m pair) and a 1m pair of the micro-coax UFA294C with parts that stay under the $20pr cost range.  I will post my findings here. Does that sound fair?

Brian Cheney
VMPS Ribbon
www.vmpsaudio.com

Phil A

« Reply #171 on: 27 Mar 2010, 07:30 pm »
Military Spec cables can make great audio cables.  I recently looked to re-order the stuff I use and had been able to order in 100 ft. spools a few years back.  The particular stuff I use is now only available as special order and in 1000 ft. spools at about $3,000.  I used to pay a bit more per foot with 100 foot spools but it didn't hurt as much as laying out $3k.  Yes it does take time to solder them nicely too.

NagysAudio

« Reply #172 on: 27 Mar 2010, 07:31 pm »
Brian Cheney - I'll add you to the tour list.

MaxCast - What's being toured are the following cables: 1m RCA interconnects, 1.5m RCA interconnects, 1m XLR interconnects, 1.5m XLR interconnects, 2m AC power cable, 2m AC power cable, and 15ft. speaker wire.

I will send this package to BobM and then he will be responsible to send it to the next person on the list, etc.

Phil A

« Reply #173 on: 27 Mar 2010, 07:40 pm »
My album contains a picture of balanced cables I made.  I remember taking a look at nagysaudio.com a while back and the cables looked very nice for the money.  From memory, it looked like the RCAs used on the analog interconnects were Vampire.  I have not ordered from them in ages but at one point several years back I ordered some and I think they were $16.50/pair.  Yes, they will give a manufacturer (vs. a hobbyist) a small break but that's still $33 to terminate them.  Even at $3/ft. cable costs, you're over $50 for materials.  While I have not bought much in the way of raw wire in the last 6-7 years, at one point I literally had miles in lengths of various cables all over experimenting with stuff.  So it does take time and money to audition and construct things and the costs of what you do not end up using in a design have to go somewhere.  I might actually order some of the stuff from Brian's post down the road assuming it is not silly priced.  I decided to make do with what I have left vs. spend $3k and I can always put something decent in the secondary bedroom or basement systems either by making it or ordering it.  The stuff at nagysaudio.com is certainly not horribly priced.

mclsound

« Reply #174 on: 27 Mar 2010, 09:21 pm »
Are your speaker cables going to be terminated with spades(I hope),I run Classe CA-300 &400 ,which only take spades.
Do your power cables come in 20amp?
Look forward to the tour!

NagysAudio

« Reply #175 on: 27 Mar 2010, 10:13 pm »
mclsound - The ones I'm sending on tour will have rhodium plated Cardas 7mm spades. If anyone wants to purchase the speaker cable, I have silver spring bananas, and extremely high quality gold plated locking bananas. Pricing is the same regardless.

Now as for 20 amp power cables... I thought about them, I can certainly make them (at a pretty good price increase due to cable and especially IEC connector which would cost 3-4 times as much), but I see absolutely no reason to do so. What possible amp could a person have that he/she would need a 20 amp cable?

If anyone can show me a single piece of equipment that would need a 20 amp power cable, I will be more than glad to add one to my cable line.

srb

« Reply #176 on: 27 Mar 2010, 10:29 pm »
If anyone can show me a single piece of equipment that would need a 20 amp power cable, I will be more than glad to add one to my cable line.

Bryston 14BSST2 amplifier
Cinnepro 2K65, 3K65 & 4K65 amplifiers
Torus 20A power conditioner
Furman 20A power conditioner
Many other 20A power conditioners

Steve

NagysAudio

« Reply #177 on: 27 Mar 2010, 10:40 pm »
Nonsense, power conditioners in pro set ups like Furman can theoretically benefit from 20 amp power cables simply because there might be a lot of amplifiers hooked up to them. Bryston amps have 20 amp power cables just as a joke, they certainly don;t need them.

srb

« Reply #178 on: 27 Mar 2010, 10:44 pm »
Nonsense, power conditioners in pro set ups like Furman can theoretically benefit from 20 amp power cables simply because there might be a lot of amplifiers hooked up to them. Bryston amps have 20 amp power cables just as a joke, they certainly don;t need them.

Amazing.  Is there anything in the entire world you (think) you don't know?

Steve

NagysAudio

« Reply #179 on: 27 Mar 2010, 10:47 pm »
Well you listed a bunch of power conditioners, some of them used in pro set ups, what answer did you expect?

You honestly think that a Bryston 14BSST needs a 20 amp power cable? In that case it will also need a dedicated 20 amp circuit in your house. I've sold Brystons for years and sometimes even ran them through 18 gauge extension cords without any problems whatsoever.