Using a DAC with a receiver and getting a "peak" warning

alexsash

When trying to input to my Marantz SR8000 from my PS Audio DACIII I get a "Peak" warning on the receiver. The Marantz instructions state that if the analog input is too great a "peak" warning will light and that you should hit the attenuate button on the receiver.

Could someone please explain what is going on here.

alexsash

Re: Using a DAC with a receiver and getting a "peak" warning
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:03 pm »
OK... I figured out what is going on. (Google is great thing) There seems to be some controversy over whether or not the peak indicator on Marantz receivers is something to worry about. Some say to ignore it and others continue to worry about the possibility of clipping and recommend either using source direct or avoiding the analog inputs altogether.

So... any Marantz users care to comment? 

I would prefer to use my DAC and the analog ins. Somewhere I read that the Marantz converts A-D and then back D-A. If that's the case, am I just fooling myself thinking that the external DAC to analog in sounds better than going straight digital out from the oppo to digital in on the Marantz?

My goal here is to use the bass management in the Marantz. I have B&W CDM  9NTs for fronts and I think the sound is better when they are supplemented by my subs. The best combo to my ear is Oppo/external DAC/Marantz/Odyssey monos/fronts and subs (subs from the Marantz LFE out).

sanjaygolf

Re: Using a DAC with a receiver and getting a "peak" warning
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2010, 05:05 pm »
You are kind of at a crossroads here. By using the stereo inputs on your AVR you wont be getting the best SQ and at the same time will be making your DAC pointless, but you will have bass management. On the other hand, if you connect your DAC to the multi-ch analogue inputs you will have the best sound, letting your DAC do the work, but you won't have bass management. IMO, if music listening is something you care about you should look into a preamp with bass management like the Emotiva USP-1 or Parasound 2100.