Emotiva Amps (XPA-2)

Jimna

• Song Catcher
Emotiva Amps (XPA-2)
« on: 7 Mar 2010, 03:28 pm »
Anyone using one?  I have been looking at them closely since they fit my budget.  ive asked lots of questions and read all the reviews i can find.  Im specifically looking at the XPA-2 and was wondering if anyone here can give us their 2 cents.  i have asked about them on their forum, but i find the EMO fans are more emotional in response than clinical, so i hoping for a more honest finding.  Im not foolish enough to think this will be a giant killer, but im hoping it might be a close result to something 3 or 4x the price.

Thanks
Jim

Charles Calkins

Re: Emotiva Amps (XPA-2)
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2010, 03:59 pm »
Jimna:

rashiki uses an Emotiva amp. I  don't know which one but you might get in touch with him for info.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2010, 07:23 pm »
thanks charlie.   hopefully othes are using these too.

anyone?

yukiginger

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2010, 09:29 pm »
I use one in a combo ht/2 channel setup. Using a Marantz 6001 receiver as a preamp. Onix Rocket RS850 as my front l/r. In the past (not in this current system) I've owned a Shengya hybrid integrated, Belles 150, B&K 100 or 150w stereo amp., Anthem Integrated 2.  The XPA-2 compares well to each of them in my opinion and offers more slam; very clear, articulate, etc. I think for the money it offers great value and they have a pretty good 5 year warranty to boot, not to mention a return option if you should decide (out return shipping only). I've never heard an amp that lists at over $1000 so I can make no comparison.

MarkG

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2010, 09:33 pm »
interesting, thanks feedback.   

FYI, if you return it in the 30 day period your out shipping both ways.

yukiginger

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2010, 09:44 pm »
interesting, thanks feedback.   

FYI, if you return it in the 30 day period your out shipping both ways.

Yes, but they usually "charge" just $25 shipping when you buy it. Return shipping from most locations will cost you a lot more than that.

MarkG

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2010, 04:26 pm »
I have seen this before, and the bad part is the weight and dimension of the amps. It doesnt fit on any audio rack.. 

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2010, 06:20 pm »
I had one of their amps a few years ago, not this one, and it just didn't live up to all the hype.  Message learned you get what you pay for.

Also if you do go for the 30 day return, they only allow that once and won't let you do it again with any of their products.

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2010, 05:30 am »
just an update:  ive spoken to quite a few owners now who run ML electrostats with this amp and are very happy.  since a full size ESL is the direction im headed and given the fact i found one used at a killer price with 4yrs of the warranty still valid i decided to pull the trigger.   i just couldnt find an amp with the capabilities and build quality anywhere close in price, even used, and since my gear fund has come to a screeching halt i decide to make the move before it shrank and i missed my window on opportunity all together.  it will be here next week and ill be sure to pass on my thoughts after i get a real taste for its sound.

Jim

toobwacky

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2010, 03:30 pm »
it will be here next week and ill be sure to pass on my thoughts after i get a real taste for its sound.

Jim

This amp is on my short list so I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about it. 

Thanks!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:36 pm »
Have you found a good audio rack for it? Im just curious about that.

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2010, 06:12 pm »
no i have not, but im thinking about building one myself.   

cujobob

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2010, 06:52 pm »
Emo amps are not the best amps around, but they give a lot of wattage for the dollar.  The company has had some strange customer service issues, but the power amps seem pretty reliable.

Should you not like it, I'd look at something like the Digital Audio Company amps...they have a good one that you can find demo models of for around $1,000.  Much more efficient, should that matter to you.

Another option is a used Odyssey amp (incredible quality and warranty)

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2010, 07:15 pm »
Emo amps are not the best amps around
how so?  can you explain farther?

kingdeezie

« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2010, 07:51 pm »
I have an Emotiva XPA-5 that I am currently right now just using to power my center channel and rear surrounds.

Its not a bad amplifier for the money, but its build quality is pretty iffy. Three of the five RCA connectors have popped right out of the chassis; I am using BJC interconnects here; so nothing super outrageous and heavy that should cause this to happen.

The sound quality for two channel is not very good either. I used it briefly for music and was not too happy with its performance.

The bass was floppy; the mids sounded slightly muffled, and the highs were harsher then with my current amplifiers (Odyssey Kismets).

Odyssey might be your next avenue if you are dissatisfied later on with your Emos. Khatargos, which Alon Magico uses in his workshop and greatly respects, can be bought in a base configuration for 800 dollars. Much better build quality then the Emotivas and a 20 year warranty. 

usp1

« Reply #15 on: 21 Mar 2010, 10:52 pm »
I owned the xpa-2 for about 6 months (and still own an emotiva lpa-1). They are very good amps for the money... plenty of slam. They are a great place to start on a budget. I ended up going with a tube amp to replace them as I wanted a smoother high end. Definitely worth a try though... many perfectly happy users. As for the company's forum, as with all such venues, the die hard loyalists always dominate so that should not be a surprise.

sanjaygolf

« Reply #16 on: 21 Mar 2010, 11:15 pm »
I own a RPA and have also owned a LPA and have never had any issues with them. As far as performance goes I am very happy although I have never owned any other amps. But for the price I paid I know I would hard pressed to find anything that competes with them.

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2010, 11:23 pm »
As for the company's forum, as with all such venues, the die hard loyalists always dominate so that should not be a surprise.
i fully agree and dont think its at all wrong, i just figured i would be better served to ask the question in a more neutral place like here. 

im glad to see some good opinions on them here too.  looks like an even mix, so i am hopeful for my new toy.