Ipod touch much better than Duet Remote?

rahimlee54

Ipod touch much better than Duet Remote?
« on: 7 Mar 2010, 06:16 am »
I have an ipod touch here and I was thinking about getting IPeng, I just wanted to check in and see if anyone thought it was worth the 10 bucks to pick it up.  My wife owns the ipod but if I like it enough, I'd sell my controller and buy myself an ipod.

Thanks
Jared

firedog

Re: Ipod touch much better than Duet Remote?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2010, 07:18 am »
I don't own an Apple device, so I can't comment from personal experience, but on various forums (including the Slim Devices one) users of iPeng are very happy with it, and many prefer it to the controller.

The controller does do one thing the iPeng device can't: setup the Duet system from scratch. I know this because my controller bricked, and I had such a situation develop - I couldn't use the receiver b/c SqeezeServer couldn't "see" it. If you ever have a problem with your receiver/and server and need to re-setup the receiver as if new-out of the box, you can't do it with the iPeng and the Touch.

The official line from Logitech support is that the controller is required to setup the receiver. However, there is a plug in for the Slim Server software that allows you to access your receiver using command line functions (a "hack") and set it up without a controller, but you need to be comfortable installing it and using it  by writing command line functions from your PC/MAC.

Just thought you should consider this before you sell the controller. You might want to wait till the Logitech Touch comes out (May?) - then you won't need the controller and you can sell both.

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2010, 01:08 pm »
I bought my touch and SB classic about a month ago.  Highly recommended.  ipeng is worth the 10 bucks, the touch is the expensive part.  I'd try it on hers and see how you like it.  You can always add it to yours if you get another touch.  The touch is great for surfing AC while you listen or check your fantasy football scores at the supper table.  Your wife can text you to take out the trash if you are in the basement.   :wink:
Do you have any particular questions about the touch or ipeng?

rahimlee54

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:14 pm »
I bought my touch and SB classic about a month ago.  Highly recommended.  ipeng is worth the 10 bucks, the touch is the expensive part.  I'd try it on hers and see how you like it.  You can always add it to yours if you get another touch.  The touch is great for surfing AC while you listen or check your fantasy football scores at the supper table.  Your wife can text you to take out the trash if you are in the basement.   :wink:
Do you have any particular questions about the touch or ipeng?

I watched a few videos on youtube, they were pretty self explanatory.  I am pretty happy with the controller but some people comment on how much they dislike it.  For the price of another touch I can get a netbook and surf while I pick, but I wouldnt have a portable player for the gym.  Maybe I'll try it out.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:39 am »
If you have an android phone there is a free app. SqueezeControl-its rudimentary but free and free is good....been using it all day on a Droid Eris...seems decent.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:35 am »
Got ipeng for touch yesterday..its best of all the apps yet

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:42 am »
I use squeemote and it is awsome.

whanafi

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:09 am »
I have the Duet Controller and an iPod Touch with iPeng.  Although I am resolutely open source, non-Apple, by nature, I have to say that the iPeng/Touch combo is the best controller I have ever used. 

It is also the only one my wife seems to tolerate, which finally ended the "this is all too complicated" problem.

rahimlee54

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2010, 08:38 pm »
Friend came by with the Droid yesterday, that app was awesome.  Ipeng is probably the same amount of awesome for $10 bucks.  I'll give a it a whirl.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2010, 08:40 pm »
I have both apps, Android and ipod and ipeng is definitely better IMHO. ipeng makes it just like your using an ipod touch..much faster
also. Have fun