Cheap Coaxial Cable worth a try.....

audiowalker

Cheap Coaxial Cable worth a try.....
« on: 7 Mar 2010, 12:55 am »
Hey there,

I was doing some research about goodness knows what but I came across a thread of someone who used 75 ohm cable for his coaxial connection and used cable from Radio Shack with modified connectors. He stated that the improvement in "sound" was remarkable and he then proceeded to change all of his cables to 75 ohm cable but upgraded away from Radio Shack.

Well, I just tried this $15 or so and I have to say the "sound" clarity and resolution is much improved. I am SO surprised. I had been using a toslink cable (kimber kable) from my Pioneer PD65 to MSB Gold DAC to Cary preamp.

I am now rethinking about my cable selection and wondering if this improvement will be heard in regular audio connections.....

Has anyone experience this? Any recommendations?

Thanks and cheers ~

walkern

Re: Cheap Coaxial Cable worth a try.....
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2010, 10:54 pm »
I used a coaxial digital cable ( http://www.enjoythemusic.com/etmcable.htm ) for quite a few years that beat out everything else I tried (including some expensive and well reviewed cables)... and have only recently replaced it with a more expensive (but still coax) cable.
I haven't found coax designs to work as well for analog interconnects though (although I haven't done much experimentation personally).

YMMV.

Neil

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:16 pm »
I recently built some interconnects from vhaudio "Pulsar" mini coax using decent but fairly inexpensive RCA plugs.  I was very pleased w/ clarity and detail retrieval as well as the honest musical timbre of instruments.  I looked endlessly for Belden 89259 but "settled" for the vhaudio wire.  It is slightly costy @ $6/ ft.

audiowalker

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:25 pm »
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response. Someone else commented on another forum the same experience when apply this to analog connections. I am interested in trying it out so I will report back. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Cheers ~

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:25 pm »
I recently built some interconnects from vhaudio "Pulsar" mini coax using decent but fairly inexpensive RCA plugs.  I was very pleased w/ clarity and detail retrieval as well as the honest musical timbre of instruments.  I looked endlessly for Belden 89259 but "settled" for the vhaudio wire.  It is slightly costy @ $6/ ft.
I have been wanting to try this recipe as well, thanks for the input. What rca's did you find at a reasonable price?

audiowalker

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:37 pm »
I just used a coaxial rca adapter from Radio Shack. I think they were $4 a pair. The other mod is using EMI Ferrite Bead on each end of the cable. I read this will "smooth" out the sound - I need to return the ones I purchased from RS since they did not cover the coaxial cable....more to come.

Cheers ~

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:52 pm »
I ordered this one today for Squeezebox...got it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BR99LM/ref=oss_product

Hopefully it will make a nice improvement.
Ed L.

lcrim

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:03 am »
 These are the RCA's I used http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-115
I had tried some much more expensive all copper RCA's that as it turned out wouldn't fit the females on my equipment. 
They sounded quite clean to my ears.  The gentleman who posted just above is showing a digital cable, I thought we were discussing analog interconnects.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:22 am »
OOps!

audiowalker

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:52 am »
Hello  :eyebrows:

I think everyone is interested either or and in both, I am. I started the discussion speaking about digital coaxial connection and this lead to a thought about taking this concept to analog. I just purchase a Radio Shack Ferrite Bead for RF, they did not have the correct size for coaxial in EMI. I do not think the RF Ferrite Bead makes any difference......I am trying A/B listening test but so far nothing. I am going to order the correct EMI Ferrite Bead online and see what happens. I think the order includes 5 (????) units for a total of $5 including shipping - another cheap thrill......

I will keep everyone posted. On the analog front, I purchased additional coaxial cables to make a pair of analog connections and will try this over the weekend. I am hoping for the same results.

With fingers cross  :thumb:

Thanks again for all your responses! Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Cheers ~

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:53 pm »
Coax audio cable DID make a difference, subtle but in doing a A/B test today with newly arrived cheap-$5 coax audio cable I did notice a slight difference between Analog RCA outputs and Coax Digital ouputs...was it worth $5-absolutely. Vocals seemed a bit clearer, some background mixed subtleties were more audible in a good way. Everything is a bit sharper, just a smidge!!

audiowalker

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2010, 08:18 pm »
Hey there,

Thanks for sharing  :lol: I got busy over the weekend and was unable to try this but I am hoping this weekend will be it!

Cheers ~

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2010, 03:35 pm »
On the analog interconnect front, when Belden 85259 cables were all the rage Belden was giving out free samples. I got a sample, cut to 3' length and soldered low end Vampire connectors to the ends.

To my ears they sound remarkable similar to the Nordost Blue Heaven and the Signal Cable Analog Two cables that I have.

audiowalker

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2010, 04:11 pm »
I finally got around to making a pair to test for analog. The sound is clear but a bit shrilly so I add the ferrite core EMI filters and they helped. I also placed a pair on the coax cable for my digital connections and they seem to smooth out the higher frequencies. You may want to try this. I purchased 5 for $5 plus shipping. Another cheap thrill that seems to have worked out.

Cheers ~

R.Solhaug

• retired nut
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2010, 04:01 am »

Vivanco HX-710 is a TV-coax that I stumbeled over long ago, and by running two lenghts in paralell for each cable they makes the best or most invisible ic I`ve ever tryed out. After discovering this I`ve tryed out all awayable coaxes w.o finding anything like it, mybe exept for Axing SK-87B.

Btw; it showed to be a digital killercable too, only coax I`ve heard outplay a AT&T optic.

audiowalker

« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2010, 04:17 pm »
Interesting. Is the cable still available? Have you tried ferrite core with the cables? They seem to "warm" the sound a bit. Thanks for the post, I will check this out.

Cheers ~