Help with power

luckylou

Help with power
« on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:40 am »
Hi all this may sounds as Nut's and crazy to all I just bought a unit that the back of the item reads 220Vac but it looks like the standard power fits the item now do i use my power cord or do i need a step down transfomer for this item .. this seems weird to me that the item is mark this way having a three prone IEC back on the unit So I stand back and feel I know my answer but dam if I'm stuck ... by the way the item is made in china all the crazy answer will help ... this nut in a shell with lost for clues ...
by Luckylou

*Scotty*

Re: Help with power
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:48 am »
 luckylou, You will receive more useful information if you include the Make and Model number of the piece of equipment you have questions about.
Scotty

luckylou

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:53 am »
thanks your so right i should add what the item is guess I was lost in my nut .. ok the item is a preamp it's a  Consonance OPERA t99

srb

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2010, 01:19 am »
It wouldn't be a bad idea to wait and see if someone who has a Opera Consonance T99 might post here.

It reminded me of a recent topic "FS: Redgum RGi-35 integrated amp".  The post said "Amp is designed for North American power, 115 - 120 volts. Ignore the label shown over IEC connector in photo -- same case is used for overseas product."
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78250.0

Of course, that doesn't mean the same situation applies to your preamp, but just that it might be one possibility.

Another is that somebody might have replaced the transformer, or that it is configurable inside with jumpers or rewiring.

And of course, you may have a 220V unit!

Grant Fidelity, who is active here on AudioCircle, sells some Opera Consonance gear.  You might try to contact them and see if maybe they could help answer your question.
http://grantfidelity.com/site/catalog/53/preamp_phonostage_tube_solid_state

Steve

luckylou

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:56 am »
Well here the skinny I just connected a standard power cord like the one use on a computer and it did power it up but i have not connect anything to it to see if sounds comes out ... still hold back ... I guess i could or I should wait for man this holds me back but I figure it got to work if the item powers up .. any answer guys and thanks for the help

srb

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2010, 03:09 am »
I think you have already passed the danger point by powering it up.  Usually you can try to power up a 220V unit with 110V without catastrophic results, but certainly not the other way around!  (Powering up a 110V unit with 220V!).  But I wasn't going to recommend that, just in case something unknown happened.

At this point, I would think you could put it in the signal path and see what comes out the other end.

Steve

luckylou

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2010, 12:47 pm »
Hey all that give me good input ... I have now got the preamp working and I did have to get a transformer for the unit ... I have to say that it does sound sweet ..... I went to radio shack and bought a stepup transformer total cost was about 60.00 .... got home plug in everything in fired it up and by my surprize all is working  ... Now I wonder is there a better transformer that I can use beside the radio shack item ....

As for the sound it was very sweet and the gain was well above what I have expect from the preamp ....

My system is a Fosgate power amp model 4125 4 channel 75 watts .
the pre is the oprea t99
the speakers are a pair of DYI open baffle Audio Nirvana super 12 steel 

Turntable is a Micro Seiki MB-14 Belt Drive Turntable with a gold ring Cart

And a denon 2900 CD/DVD PLAYER ..

My sound is clear and good will be doing some tweaking but for now all is good ... :eyebrows: