Cheap Universal SACD/DVD/CD player

mjosef

Cheap Universal SACD/DVD/CD player
« on: 1 Mar 2010, 10:57 pm »
Need a SACD player? Is $80. cheap enough?
Check out this Yamaha S1800 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DVD-S1800BL-1080p-Upconverting-Player/dp/B000WKTG76/ref=pd_ybh_15?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15X13NAY7FNAFHD1J9CE

Just got one today, and it rocks on SACD. CD playback lags a bit vs. my long time player CambridgeAudio 540, but it shows promise, so far I have only played a couple cds, and 4 SACDs...needs more time to 'break the barrier' as they say.

Mike Nomad

Re: Cheap Universal SACD/DVD/CD player
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:01 pm »
The Yamaha is not a Universal Player (as we understood them before Blu-Ray). It does not play DVD-A.

The cheapest Universal Player I know of is from Pioneer. The DV-49AV has a Suggested Price of US$199.

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:14 pm »
Sure it does DVD-Audio
Says it right there on the 'features' list.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=558368&CNTYP=PRODUCT

Ok, so its almost universal, no BluRay.  :roll:

Just popped in a DVD-A disc, 'Deschenes: petits Big Bang'...playing it just fine.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:31 pm »
I bought that Yamaha DVD-S1800 to use a a cheap SACDP and it definitely does play DVD-A.  It's SACD play is very good but STD CD play is average.  I paid $79 from amazon.  It used to sell for $449.

My DAC still sounds better than the SACD play of the yammy though.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:02 am »
Does it have digital output for all of the above?

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:16 am »

D/O...SACD nope, I think DVD-A D/O might be available via HDMI, but not sure since I don't have a HDMI receiver.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:17 am »
SACD and CD play are only through analog unless you want to use the player as a transport for std cd play.  SACD play is only through analog outs.  Very few players offer SACD digitally.  I believe the new Oppo BD-83 does.

I believe that DVD-A is digital though!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:30 am »
Its hard to find a cheap universal SACD player, most of them are on the price range from $150 + from what i've seen.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:56 am »
Sure it does DVD-Audio

Ok, so its almost universal, no BluRay.  :roll:

I didn't read past the stuff at the top of the first linked page. I was absolutely wrong.  :oops:

Not sure about the  :roll: . I wasn't including Blu-Ray in my original post on what constituted "Universal." I'm guessing the cheapest _truly_ universal player is the Oppo?

--

@ PEZ

The D/O should work for DVD-A, to a point. Not sure how much Yamaha steps on the signal on the way out.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2010, 03:43 am »
The Yamaha looks like a good deal for what it is.  I have a Yamaha DVD player, and it's quite heavy and sturdy compared to some of the LG, Samsung and others that I've seen.  And it actually looks like an audio component.

To bad I can't get it with Blu-ray for $100, but that same basic player with Blu-ray goes for $400.  At that price, I'd kick in $100 more and get the Oppo.

Steve

coolsax

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:37 pm »
I have this player right now in my HT,and think it does a good job..for my current very modest setup the burr/brown dac for Redbook works just fine for now, but i'm sure when I get around to putting in a separate 2 channel System i'll get an external DAC