Inexpensive desk radio

topher2411

Inexpensive desk radio
« on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:34 am »
I'm in the market for a small, but nice sounding radio that I can use in my office at work.  I've been listening to internet feeds of the local radio stations, but my computer speakers sound shockingly bad, I'd rather not use headphones, and I don't want to put any money into a set of desktop speakers. 

Can anyone recommend a radio to fit my needs?  I'm thinking of a budget of $50-100 preferably, but I'd probably go up to $200 if I needed to.

What I've found so far is mostly ipod docks with speakers.  I'm not opposed to it having an ipod dock, but it's not at all necessary.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Chris

srb

Re: Inexpensive desk radio
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:44 am »
Are you looking for an AM/FM radio only, or one that also has an Internet radio tuner?

Steve

topher2411

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:53 am »
Sorry, should have been clearer.  I'm looking for just an AM/FM tuner, with speakers, in a single box.  Thanks.

Are you looking for an AM/FM radio only, or one that also has an Internet radio tuner?

Steve

srb

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:24 am »
Tivoli Model One: designed by Henry Koss and is a solid radio with a nice wood cabinet, good sound and reception, but is ~$150, only has one speaker (you did say speakers) and has analog tuning (no presets).

Boston Acoustics Horizon Duo: digitally tuned with presets, adjustable bass and treble and goes for $100 - $125.

Sangean WR-2: digitally tuned with presets, adjustable bass and treble and goes for $100 - $125.

Sorry, just don't know of anything in the $50 - $100 range.  If any of those might interest you, Amazon has user reviews on them all.

Steve

chgolatin2

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2010, 03:04 am »
Cambridge Soundwerks! :thumb: :eyebrows:

Cacophonix

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2010, 03:09 am »

srb

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2010, 03:37 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XDRF1HD-HD-Radio-Tuner/dp/B00168Q248

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-930-000101-Squeezebox-Radio/dp/B002LARRDK

For a little more than your budget -
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squeezebox-Network-Player-Internet/dp/B001DJ64D4

Keep an eye out for logitech deals, and you might be able to get it for under $200.

The OP is looking for a small self-contained AM/FM radio with speakers.

The Sony is a tuner only, and I don't believe either of the Logitechs have AM/FM?

Steve

topher2411

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2010, 05:40 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  It's true, the Sony and Logitech units probably won't do what I'm looking for.  Although, it does look like Sony has a similar model with speakers for only $40 or so more.

Now that I look at that Tivoli, I think the guy in the office next to mine has one.  I'll make sure to take a listen.

Has anyone heard the Boston Acoustics Horizon Solo?  Seems to be the same as the Duo, just in mono.