this sounds crazy but

smargo

this sounds crazy but
« on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:01 pm »
i have been using an optimus 3400 (Radio Shack - circa 1994) as a transport - fed into a vision dac by ava - It has a digital output - and can be battery operated with 4 aa batteries - the batteries last about 6 hours of playing time.

Im just saying that in terms of a transport - the optimus sounds nearly as good as my bryston (used a s a transport) - this is not bryston bashing at all

Just to say it makes you wonder how digital technology has supposed to have grown in leaps and bounds from the early 1990's - yet this piece of crap - that retailed for $189 - totally sounds absolutely acceptable
and organic - when fed batteries and goes into a good dac.

Of course there is no remote - so you have to change tracks by hand - but its amazing the performance of this thing - used as a transport!

Mariusz

Re: this sounds crazy but
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:08 pm »
Here is the review: http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/480/

Best
Mariusz

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:29 pm »
Did anyone mention the really commonly known PS1 as killer CDP?  I remember these Swiss and Germany crazies doing all sort of things and calling it "It"....

"It" is not what I use, there is always too much hype involved with all these ideas of biggest multi kilobuck transport slayer...

This always is the case especially with CDP/digital...which makes you really wonder, is it justified to spend some many bills on a 30 year old medium? 

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:50 am »
I've never been a believer of an expensive transport being a lot better than a cheap one.