Cool X-over

John Casler

Cool X-over
« Reply #40 on: 28 Apr 2004, 11:40 pm »
Quote from: EProvenzano
John your post is causing my head to spin  :)

I thought...
Low Pass = filter that allows 'Low' frequencies to pass through
High Pass = filter that allows 'High' frequencies to pass through

Would someone confirm this for me.

I'm not sure where I learned this from, I could very well be wrong.
I need to know if I've got it all backwards so posts like John's don't leave me scratching my head.

Thanks!
EP

Hi EP,

I'm still scratching "my" head too, since I'm not 100% sure either.

I used to use it as you have shown (since that makes more sense to me) and I was corrected a couple times.

I hope the correctors were incorrect :lol:  :lol:

Hows that for confusing :D

ctviggen

Cool X-over
« Reply #41 on: 29 Apr 2004, 04:48 pm »
In the electrical engineering world, a "high pass" filter passes high frequencies (filters low frequencies) and a "low pass" filter passes low frequencies (filters high frequencies).  See:

http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/highpass.html
http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/dir-021/_3149.htm

A "band pass" filter passes a certain frequency range and filters frequencies above or below that range.

In a typical 3-way system, you'd have a low pass filter that sends low frequencies to the woofers, a band pass filter that sends mid-range frequencies to the mid-range drivers, and a high-pass filter that sends high frequencies to the tweeters.

Pocketchange

Paradigm X-30 W/Larger
« Reply #42 on: 28 Sep 2005, 01:33 am »
Has anyone ever?

If so what was the result?

Price seems good and being adjustable might put the right flavor on things.

pc

Corbin Johnson

Cool X-over
« Reply #43 on: 29 Sep 2005, 12:45 am »
My solution to this dilemna was the purchase of the Parts Express sub amp that VMPS now offers with their subs.  This allows an input from your surround sound processor where your processor sets the crossover frequency and and it also has separate inputs for your two channel rig where you adjust input levels and crossover for two channel to your preference, separate from your surround sound processor settings.  You don't have to worry about running your mains through a crossover.  Plus, the Parts Express amp even has an equalizer that adds further value.  Add to that a great amp with 500 wpc into 8 ohms for not much more than the NHT crossover, the Parts Express Amp for me was a slam dunk that I've been happy with.

Corbin