Cool X-over

RGordonpf

Cool X-over
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2004, 05:19 pm »
John,

Have you tried the high pass section of the X-2?  I need a crossover that not only rolls off the highs to my subwoofer, but also rolls off the lows to my SET monoblocks without screwing up the signal going to my 626Rs.

John Casler

Re: Cool X-over
« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2004, 07:49 pm »
Quote from: RGordonpf
John,

Have you tried the high pass section of the X-2?  I need a crossover that not only rolls off the highs to my subwoofer, but also rolls off the lows to my SET monoblocks without screwing up the signal going to my 626Rs.

This is the one thing I haven't tried yet since I don't have enough AudioQuest Jaguars to perform an equal test.

I have to say this little gem seems to be "very" clean in all the other areas.

I have posted a few additional comments to the NHT list which I will also post below:

Have had the X-2 for a week or so and it is one incredible little performer.

Seems like all you have to do is use Stereo L&R preamp outs to the inputs for 2 channel operation and Pre/Pro LFE outs to the LFE inputs and you're there.

When using the stereo source, you just turn down the LFE volume control all the way counter clockwise.

To use the LFE from your pre pro just shut down the preamp (no signal) and use the LFE volume control.

No switching of cables or any of that ilk.

And since I use both Powered and Passive subs (outboard amp) there is a LFE Output, that allows various options for multiple subs and types of subs.

Since all the above is not specifically addressed in the manual in set up options, Jack, please correct me or add comments if needed.

Thanks for a great product, my HT/Audio clients are going to love this.

The Jack I reference above is Jack Hadley from NHT.

Lupo

Cool X-over
« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2004, 08:32 am »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
I also like "spectacular" to describe the LSW, but my wife the children's book author says "spectacular" can be properly used only as a visual descriptor.  

Tell Mrs. Ribbon to simply remove the grill while listening to a bass heavy piece and I am confident she'll agree spectacular is a proper term  :D

Lupo

Cool X-over
« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2004, 08:38 am »
John, thank you for your invaluable feedback-I am seriously considering the X2. Regarding the "response is down 3dB at 20Hz and then rolls off at 12dB/octave" issue, have you noticed any impact on the Larger? Obviously very few pieces of music exist that will even test that low and I am nitpicking but then again, isn't audiophilia all about nitpicking anyway :o ?

Also, is a 2nd order XO inherently inferior to a 4th order or is it all in the implementation?

J

Cool X-over
« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2004, 02:18 pm »
How would a Paradigm x-30 compare? (or would it not work well with a set of original subs and paradigm 40's)

and would I notice a difference between a QSC rmx series vs. plx/dca amp (for sub) ?

J

Cool X-over
« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2004, 08:49 pm »
ttt :idea:

John Casler

Cool X-over
« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2004, 09:05 pm »
Also, is a 2nd order XO inherently inferior to a 4th order or is it all in the implementation?

I might defer to someone more technically mined than myself to answer that.  All I know is the end result, which at this time is "very good".

How would a Paradigm x-30 compare? (or would it not work well with a set of original subs and paradigm 40's)

and would I notice a difference between a QSC rmx series vs. plx/dca amp (for sub) ?

I am not familar with the X-30 so I cannot address that directly.

randog

Cool X-over
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2004, 12:07 am »
I'd like to resurrect this thread to see if this NHT unit is the end-all. John, do you have further feedback?

Thanks,
Randog

John Casler

Cool X-over
« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2004, 12:40 am »
Quote from: randog
I'd like to resurrect this thread to see if this NHT unit is the end-all. John, do you have further feedback?

Thanks,
Randog

Hi Randog,

Shortly before this x-over arrived, I "seperated" my audio and HT system.

I also went with some rather highend interconnects.

As of yet I have not actually used this unit as a "crossover", but have used it as a "low pass filter" for the Larger Sub for use with the 626Rs.

In its present role, I have never heard better.  The bass is "DEEP" tight, dry and transparent.  The bass detail of this system is rather remarkable in its realistic presentation and "balance".  

I use a 50Hz crossover point and it is perfect.  The blending is perfect and I can without a doubt say that my current sound is the best I have ever heard  :mrgreen: (all things considered)

There are enough controls on this baby to allow you to really "dial in" your usage range and performance needs.

And there is even a LFE input that you can connect to you HT processor for when you need the theater SUB thing :wink:

It is the equal or better (certainly more flexibility) of my Dahlquist Electronic x-over, who's grandson now runs the $125,000 Alons.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Cool X-over
« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2004, 12:53 am »
One more post like this and you will convince me to buy it John!

I am just a little leary of the fact that it uses 12db/octave slope.  From my research, it seems that a 24db/octave is more desireable.

George

John Casler

Cool X-over
« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2004, 05:03 am »
Quote from: zybar
One more post like this and you will convince me to buy it John!

I am just a little leary of the fact that it uses 12db/octave slope.  From my research, it seems that a 24db/octave is more desireable.

George

Hi George,

Well I do like mine, but the caveat is that I "do not" run the mains through it so cannot vouch for the signal quality of that route.

As far as the slope, that is a toughy.  I think it all depends on the "plane" of placement of the sub(s) to the mains.  The closer they are the easier they are to integrate.

The longer slopes would seem to allow you to "reinforce" a greater region where both mains and sub will cover the same frequency as one rolls out the other rolls in.

To me  a more gradual slope means a greater potential for phase and integration issues.  Now I could be wrong about that and would be most happy to be corrected, but the logic seems to be there.

I think I have heard Big B say how fond he is of 6db slopes, but that may be another issue all together (it may be his lucky number or something)

A steeper slope has to be more precisely adjusted (which the X-2 allows) but there will be less "overlap" and as I see it, less phase and integration issues.

Today I moved the Larger a little closer to a room boundary and more to the center between the mains.

I also wired it with a Single run of AudioQuest Pikes Peak, and I have no more words to describe what it did.

I have been listening to a lot of "Two Against Nature" the Grammy winning Steely Dan CD, and I am totally, freakin, sonically, content.

Wish you could spend a little time in the "Seat" :mrgreen:

You know the drill, if your in LA call :lol:  :lol:

randog

Cool X-over
« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2004, 05:21 am »
OK John, so... uh... say, would you like to take off your audiophile hat and put on your dealer hat?  :D

Nobody else here has any experience with this unit (that I know of) and you are only using a fraction of its capability. I was hoping you would put this thing through its paces and test it for the purpose of 2-channel and HT and how well it integrates with both as a high pass and low pass x-o. I understand you are not currently set up that way, but if you plan to recommend and sell this unit, perhaps you could point us in a direction to get some answers. Do you know of anyone else using this in a 2ch/HT system? Are there any other forums or references we could use to gain more insight on the quality of the x-o?

Thanks!  8)
Randog

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Cool X-over
« Reply #32 on: 28 Apr 2004, 12:21 pm »
John,

Next time I am in LA on business I will absolutely be coming over for a listen.

I will not be running my mains into this crossover either, it is purely for the Larger subs and not my 40's.

Big B has recommended 24db slopes to me (FYI).

I haven't had a chance yet to play around with room placement, but I know that the subs won't be able to go between the 40's.  They will need to be in the front corners or along the side walls.

George

John Casler

Cool X-over
« Reply #33 on: 28 Apr 2004, 02:02 pm »
Are there any other forums or references we could use to gain more insight on the quality of the x-o?

You might try the NHT forum.

http://www.nhthifi.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

Look under "Evolution Discussions"

John Casler

Cool X-over
« Reply #34 on: 28 Apr 2004, 02:07 pm »
Big B has recommended 24db slopes to me (FYI).

I defer to Big B's recommended slope, but the current item works well for me as is.

ctviggen

Cool X-over
« Reply #35 on: 28 Apr 2004, 07:07 pm »
How are you guys using this cross-over?  Are you splitting the full-range signal and going to the RM40s and the subs (through the crossover)?

John Casler

Cool X-over
« Reply #36 on: 28 Apr 2004, 07:30 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
How are you guys using this cross-over?  Are you splitting the full-range signal and going to the RM40s and the subs (through the crossover)?

Hi Bob,

In my use, I do not "split" the signal.  It is used as a highpass filter to my LARGER sub.

ctviggen

Cool X-over
« Reply #37 on: 28 Apr 2004, 08:00 pm »
Thanks, John, but I still don't get it.  With my sub (which I only use for movies), I put the sub output of my preamp into the sub.  I don't use the cross-over in the sub, as the sub output has just the low frequencies of one or more of my five channels (plus the LFE signal, if any).  I think you use your sub in stereo, don't you?  Are you passing the cross-over for the sub a full-range signal from the preamp (or full range signals from the right and left channels), so that the cross over will pass only the low frequencies to the sub's amplifier?  Or how does this work?  I ask in case I ever get stereo subs.  I would think you'd have to pass the unamplified signal for a channel into the cross-over, then from the cross-over, you'd have two outputs per channel, one of which goes to the sub's amp and one of which goes to the amp for the RM40.  The outboard cross over sends the low frequencies to the sub's amp and the "high" frequencies to the channel's amp.  Is this or some part of this right?

Thanks!

John Casler

Cool X-over
« Reply #38 on: 28 Apr 2004, 09:26 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Thanks, John, but I still don't get it.  With my sub (which I only use for movies), I put the sub output of my preamp into the sub.  I don't use the cross-over in the sub, as the sub output has just the low frequencies of one or more of my five channels (plus the LFE signal, if any).  I think you use your sub in stereo, don't you?  Are you passing the cross-over for the sub a full-range signal from the preamp (or full range signals from the right and left channels), so that the cross over pass only the low frequencies to the sub's amplifier? Or how does this work?

I ask in case I ever get stereo subs. I would think you'd have to pass the unamplified signal for a channel into the cross-over, then from the cross-over, you'd have two outputs per channel, one of which goes to the sub's amp and one of which goes to the amp for the RM40. The outboard cross over sends the low frequencies to the sub's amp and the "high" frequencies to the channel's amp. Is this or some part of this right?

Hi Bob, the X2 has 3 inputs (L&R stereo and single LFE input)  The L&R are affected by the x-over in the X2 and the LFE can be a passthrough with volume control (see below) or it can also "high pass" if you choose.

I use my sub in MONO but if I get another, the X2 has both stereo and mono output.

The X2 "does" have both the "high pass" out which goes to the sub and the lowpass out which goes to the mains (if you wish to use it that way)

I want to run my 626Rs "full range" and don't filter the signal to them.  I just run my "second set" of pre outs to the X-over and high pass the signal and send the LOWs to the sub via the mono output.

The X2 also has a LFE pass through output, if you want, but that leads to "plugging and unplugging" which I don't like, so when using the LFE volume control, I simply dial the "frequency control dial" to max (just like you would on most subs) and use the same output.

And another nice feature I have with my equipment, is that the CineNova amp, has both high and low pass filters on each channel so you can reduce some of that wasted bandwidth at the amp level.

I have mine set for around 500Hz so it filters out from 500hz up.

EProvenzano

Cool X-over
« Reply #39 on: 28 Apr 2004, 11:12 pm »
John your post is causing my head to spin  :)

I thought...
Low Pass = filter that allows 'Low' frequencies to pass through
High Pass = filter that allows 'High' frequencies to pass through

Would someone confirm this for me.

I'm not sure where I learned this from, I could very well be wrong.
I need to know if I've got it all backwards so posts like John's don't leave me scratching my head.

Thanks!
EP